LGA 2011, LGA 2011-3 (gigabyte)

Go to solution Solved by Shaqo_Wyn,

I have another question for you, since you seem like a very experienced person when it comes to pc's. What gtx 980 should one get, the standard one with stock cooling, or one made by MSI, or a more practical one in my case is one made by gigabyte because gigabyte has a retailer near me. And what if I would like to water cool the GPU, would it make more sense to buy a stock one and replace the heatsink and etc with a water block or should I buy a 980 by gigabyte and replace the cooler with a water block because a 980 by gigabyte may have some additional features because it could be made possible with the better cooler. (Hope that wasn't too complicated).

Haha, believe me there are many others like me on LTT. They just might be asleep though if they're in the US. :P

I'm going to split my answer into two:

Air cooling: the reference design of the GTX 980 (in your case the Gigabyte branded version) tends to be preferred when doing air cooled SLI setups. This is because they have a blower style cooler which means that the hot air the fan blows is directly exhausted outside of your case. 

With Gigabyte's non-reference coolers (G1 and the slightly cheaper Windforce 3X version) you get a GPU cooler that runs quieter and keeps the GPU temps lower. It also has a custom PCB that allows more overclocking potential. The Gigabyte G1 GTX 980 is currently the best GTX 980 out there. The drawback is that these 'open-air coolers' pump most of the heat into your PC case. You would need good airflow inside your case and with tightly packed SLI setups the top card will be hotter (although not by much) which most try to avoid. So both options would be good but it's up to you which one you prefer.

Water cooling: since you're going to be tossing the reference blower-style cooler anyway you might as well get the reference GTX 980 from Gigabyte when water cooling.

They're cheaper than the custom G1 and Windforce 3X coolers. 

Hope this cleared things up.

So I'm kinda building a pc, and I've decided that what I want to dish money out on is the graphics card(s) (probably a titan) the power supply and internal and external storage (external is a good idea if you have many steam games, most likely, not too worried about). So I am also expecting to waste a bit of money on cheap things like motherboards, and a processor because I may want to upgrade later. That was my initial plan, but looking at what direction technology is currently going in, I am thinking that going with an LGA 2011 motherboard would save me some money, could buy a better processor since I wouldn't need to worry on having to upgrade later to a different socket, ram wouldn't need to be upgraded and etc. So I was looking at gigabyte's website since they have a retailer near me and I noticed that they have not only LGA 2011 motherboards but also LGA 2011-3, and so I looked up the motherboard type and found nothing (may have not looked hard enough). I am curious why there is no information about LGA 2011-3 motherboards anywhere. Please help me out, I'm new to pc building, maybe not too new, but still I would really like to be shared info on this weird occurrence, and I would like it if anyone could give me a link to a motherboard with LGA 2011-3 that is cheap, because again I will be dishing out on (a) GPU(s). - Answered

Titan is an awful idea for gaming. Same with X99.

What will you use this machine for? What is your budget? Do you need peripherals? Do you need an OS? Location? Do you have access to a Microcenter or Fry's?

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

the LGA 2011-3 is a socket on motherboards for the new x99 intel extreme cpus which are quite expensive. for pure gaming i wouldn't go with that.

Also if you only use your pc for gaming and other everyday suff (watching videos,browsing the web,....) a titan would be a bad choice. I think even the 900 series beat that card in games

You should be searching for motherboards based on their chipset (X99 for LGA2011-3), you'll have better luck. There is boat loads of info on X99 and LGA2011-3..

Gigabyte X99 motherboards have been struggling with some problems like all new chipsets do. You could check out the X99 Gaming 5. 

Don't waste money on a titan when you can get a GTX 980 is for 550 $/EU. The GTX 980 runs cooler, has newer technology and is a premium GPU that can play anything out today on max with good fps, except for 4K. You could always go SLI 980's for that though.

If you're just gaming you'd be fine with a MSi Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard, an Intel i5-4690K CPU and a GTX 980 GPU.

Way cheaper than going X99 + the required DDR4 RAM and more expensive LGA2011-3 CPU.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Well, I have to say thank you, you all have really helped my find what to look for what is necessary and what would be the better choice, would like to say that I would do gaming and everyday stuff. One question though, (again I am new, and don't know how this thread thing works) I was planning on getting a titan (I'm not suborn would go for a 980 now, thanks for the advice) is because there are waterblocks available for it, or at least they are easier to find and more common, please point out if there are other waterblocks for other GPU's and whether I would have to water cool GPUs (will SLI, since no titan means more money to spend). Thanks again, means a lot.

One more question, the MSI Z97 gaming 5 motherbaord, it can only do 2 way SLI right, and 3 way crossfire, fingers crossed 3 way SLI, if not, what would be better, 3 way crossfire, or 2 way SLI, with relatively similar GPUs.

Well, I have to say thank you, you all have really helped my find what to look for what is necessary and what would be the better choice, would like to say that I would do gaming and everyday stuff. One question though, (again I am new, and don't know how this thread thing works) I was planning on getting a titan (I'm not suborn would go for a 980 now, thanks for the advice) is because there are waterblocks available for it, or at least they are easier to find and more common, please point out if there are other waterblocks for other GPU's and whether I would have to water cool GPUs (will SLI, since no titan means more money to spend). Thanks again, means a lot.

Where are my manners. :P

Welcome to LinusTechTips! :)  Tips: if you follow your thread (right top corner) you will be notified when people reply. If you quote people that reply like I did with you, they will know when you reply to them. 

You don't HAVE to water cool the GPU's. They all come with air coolers that provide sufficient cooling for the components.

If you want very low temps, more overclocking head room and the aesthetics of water cooling, you can water cool them. EK has waterblocks for the GTX 970's and GTX 980's.

Since, you're quite new I recommend you just do air cooled SLI GTX 980's. You're going to have to invest time and patience into researching water cooling, plus you have to keep in mind that a custom loop will cost upwards of $650.

One more question, the MSI Z97 gaming 5 motherbaord, it can only do 2 way SLI right, and 3 way crossfire, fingers crossed 3 way SLI, if not, what would be better, 3 way crossfire, or 2 way SLI, with relatively similar GPUs.

You're right. 2-way SLI, three CF. If you do 3-way CF with AMD's current flagship GPU (290X) it should give a bit more fps than sli 980's.

However, the 290X's also run much hotter with a max TDP of >250W. The amount of fps you get per GPU added also declines. 

What resolution/monitor will you be playing with? What fps target are you going for?  

You're right. 2-way SLI, three CF. If you do 3-way CF with AMD's current flagship GPU (290X) it should give a bit more fps than sli 980's.

However, the 290X's also run much hotter with a max TDP of >250W. The amount of fps you get per GPU added also declines. 

What resolution/monitor will you be playing with? What fps target are you going for?  

I'm not too sure what resolution I would be playing at, would like a recommendation, I think I would go with a monitor that I can have a choice depending on what game I am playing (Low graphic demanding game = High resolution not as much fps, High graphic demanding game = Lower resolution, higher fps). This kind of explains my fps target but I think I would like as high of a fps as possible to make no matter the resolution.

Another question, can the 290X be water cooled?

Update: And is an extra 290X worth the more fps?

Thanks for answering my questions, this is helping me tons more than youtube and research.

I'm not too sure what resolution I would be playing at, would like a recommendation, I think I would go with a monitor that I can have a choice depending on what game I am playing (Low graphic demanding game = High resolution not as much fps, High graphic demanding game = Lower resolution, higher fps). This kind of explains my fps target but I think I would like as high of a fps as possible to make no matter the resolution.

Another question, can the 290X be water cooled?

Update: And is an extra 290X worth the more fps?

Thanks for answering my questions, this is helping me tons more than youtube and research.

You're welcome. :)

290X's can be water cooled, EK and others companies have water blocks for them. 

More than 2 GPU's isn't worth it IMO. Most 2-way SLI or CF setups already get 100+ fps on max settings on 1080p and 60fps> on 1440p.

60fps> is really good.

I recommend you go with a 1440p monitor like the PB278Q or the TN-equivalent the ROG Swift and SLI GTX 980's. You'll have 60fps> in all games on ultra. 

Z97 Motherboard with a 4790k, and either two R9 290's (non-x) or two GTX 970's. That should be a real solid choice for you, unless you NEED the extra performance that comes with X79/X99 motherboards and CPU's.

You will save hounded of dollars, which can be spent on other parts instead. A bigger SSD, a nice monitor, or just more cash in your wallet!

Edit: What is the main use, and budget of your build. Anyhow?

Z97 Motherboard with a 4790k, and either two R9 290's (non-x) or two GTX 970's. That should be a real solid choice for you, unless you NEED the extra performance that comes with X79/X99 motherboards and CPU's.

You will save hounded of dollars, which can be spent on other parts instead. A bigger SSD, a nice monitor, or just more cash in your wallet!

Edit: What is the main use, and budget of your build. Anyhow?

Only gaming, I mean I like consoles but come on pc vs console in graphics its a no brainer.

Only gaming, I mean I like consoles but come on pc vs console in graphics its a no brainer.

Then I suggest with the mainstream line of CPU and motherboards over the Enthusiast range.

Look into the Z97 motherboards, pair it with either a 4690k or a 4790k. And I as I mentioned before, I suggest two GPU's. GTX 970 and R9 290 are both solid get's. But even a single one can be enough to crank games at 1080p up to the highest graphical settings.

You're welcome. :)

290X's can be water cooled, EK and others companies have water blocks for them. 

More than 2 GPU's isn't worth it IMO. Most 2-way SLI or CF setups already get 100+ fps on max settings on 1080p and 60fps> on 1440p.

60fps> is really good.

I recommend you go with a 1440p monitor like the PB278Q or the TN-equivalent the ROG Swift and SLI GTX 980's. You'll have 60fps> in all games on ultra. 

I have another question for you, since you seem like a very experienced person when it comes to pc's. What gtx 980 should one get, the standard one with stock cooling, or one made by MSI, or a more practical one in my case is one made by gigabyte because gigabyte has a retailer near me. And what if I would like to water cool the GPU, would it make more sense to buy a stock one and replace the heatsink and etc with a water block or should I buy a 980 by gigabyte and replace the cooler with a water block because a 980 by gigabyte may have some additional features because it could be made possible with the better cooler. (Hope that wasn't too complicated).

Then I suggest with the mainstream line of CPU and motherboards over the Enthusiast range.

Look into the Z97 motherboards, pair it with either a 4690k or a 4790k. And I as I mentioned before, I suggest two GPU's. GTX 970 and R9 290 are both solid get's. But even a single one can be enough to crank games at 1080p up to the highest graphical settings.

I will do that, and the Z97 motherboards are easy to get a hold of where I am, since I have a nearby retailer of MSI motherboards.

Haha, believe me there are many others like me on LTT. They just might be asleep though if they're in the US. :P

I'm going to split my answer into two:

Air cooling: the reference design of the GTX 980 (in your case the Gigabyte branded version) tends to be preferred when doing air cooled SLI setups. This is because they have a blower style cooler which means that the hot air the fan blows is directly exhausted outside of your case. 

With Gigabyte's non-reference coolers (G1 and the slightly cheaper Windforce 3X version) you get a GPU cooler that runs quieter and keeps the GPU temps lower. It also has a custom PCB that allows more overclocking potential. The Gigabyte G1 GTX 980 is currently the best GTX 980 out there. The drawback is that these 'open-air coolers' pump most of the heat into your PC case. You would need good airflow inside your case and with tightly packed SLI setups the top card will be hotter (although not by much) which most try to avoid. So both options would be good but it's up to you which one you prefer.

Water cooling: since you're going to be tossing the reference blower-style cooler anyway you might as well get the reference GTX 980 from Gigabyte when water cooling.

They're cheaper than the custom G1 and Windforce 3X coolers. 

Hope this cleared things up.