Is an ssd really worth it?

triion

I'm looking to build my first budget gaming/and little bit of editing computer. Is an ssd worth it or am I better off spending my money on the another part of the computer such as the CPU, cooler and mobo.

whats your budget and build?

also for the ssd

giphy.gif

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

I'm looking to build my first budget gaming/and little bit of editing computer. Is an ssd worth it or am I better off spending my money on the another part of the computer such as the CPU, cooler and mobo.

Put the money towards a better cpu/gpu. 

And ssd is worth the money, but not at the expense of actual performance. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

if you dont have a CPU and motherboard ssd is useless but if you are going to compromise on motherboard or cpu to get a SSD ,dont just get it later.

mY s YsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??
 HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it?
 MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Yes, even if the fast boot times aren't your thing, the responsiveness is incredible.  Once you own a computer with an SSD you probably wont ever want to use one without. 

First Build:| Gigabyte 990FXa-UD3 | FX 8120 4.0Ghz | Coolermaster Seidon 240M | Asus Radeon HD 7870 | Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB SSD + WD Green 2TB HDD | Corsair RM750 | 8Gb Kingston HyperX 1866Mhz CL9| Fractal Define R4 White/Windowed |

whats your budget and build?

also for the ssd

giphy.gif

Glad to see a fellow Doctor Who fan on LTT forums!!!

#11thDoctorIsBetter

I Love Playing CS:GO!

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

I would say yes.

Dis track?  Jesus christ why'd we even fight a war?  - Ron Cadillac

#11thDoctorIsBetter

Leave. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Glad to see a fellow Doctor Who fan on LTT forums!!!

#11thDoctorIsBetter

Fuck off David all the way! 

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

not sure how i would be able to go back and game and even do anything on a old harddrive again :o

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Fuck off David all the way! 

You wish!

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

You wish!

Out. Out now. Good bye!

AAeQNWr.jpg

Leave. 

giphy.gif

@LukaP

Current 

@LukaP

OJq5USS.gif

CdyN0bG.gif

now enough gif spam. lets agree to disagree, since you are wrong, with all due respect ;)

OJq5USS.gif

CdyN0bG.gif

now enough gif spam. lets agree to disagree, since you are wrong, with all due respect ;)

Hmmm, but what should I do since I am right? :)

Current 

Hmmm, but what should I do since I am right? :)

admit youre wrong :P

0p1dydL.gif

admit youre wrong :P

0p1dydL.gif

Never!.gif

Current 

i guess its official

Zh6WQbs.gif

i guess its official

Zh6WQbs.gif

9947906.gif

Current 

It depends on your budget.  Just like djdowski said, if you have to sacrifice in-game performance for faster boot and shut down times, it is not worth it.  If you have an extra $50, or can switch some components around to make an extra $50, nothing will give you a "new computer, money well spent feeling" quite like an SSD.  The boot times and overall snappy performance of your operating system is really really nice. 

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Well this thread is really off topic lol. My budget is about $1000.

Short answer: Its usually worth it.

Somewhat longer answer: Since you're on a budget, you could try a hybrid HDD/SSD for performance and capacity.

Other answer: Though, since you're budget is only a $1000, a better graphics card might be worth the trade off of a HDD.

If you need more real information and not a bunch of random posts with guesses and unsubstantiated hot air so to speak, read up here: http://www.thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/

If you read that and still have questions on whether its worth it, lease close your account.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.