low-end graphics cards... has anyone tweaked them at all?

KemoKa

I was putzing about in the basement of the Tokyo Radio Department Store for a bit when I went past the box of older graphics cards that they have down there. They've got stuff like old firepros, quadros and old GT/ATi's there all thrown in a cardboard box going for literally less than $10 a piece. Under normal circumstances I would never EVER consider buying one of them because of that whole rant Linus did on low-end products, but it got me thinking:

Has anyone here ever either done themselves or heard of someone else taking a lower-end/older GPU, sticking a whacking great cooler onto it and just clocking the hell out of it, even if only just to have a bit of a laugh? because I'm trying to think of what would happen...

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

I tried doing LN2 overclocking on lower end cards in the past.

You just end up blowing the power delivery. 

The overclocking potential of lower end GPUs are usually quite bad, due to the power delivery not being up to the task.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

well i overclocked my old gt 210 and since they dont have a power connector it made a difference of about 3 to 5 fps so its really not worth it

it would work if the power delivery on the card was stable, like an old high end one, but an old, low end cardwill probably have terrible power delivery.

they will still be low powered after overclocking it and will probably break immediately.

I overclocked a Club 3D GeForce GT 610 1GB DDR3 810MHz (rare, because Club 3D stopped making Nvidia cards). I first clocked it to 900MHz. Little FPS increase, but the DX9 benchmark in PassMark got a nice FPS boost, and the GPU stayed cool. Then I brought it to 930MHz (it's currently running at that). Still stays fine, 35 degrees celsius at idle. Then, I went to the 1 Gigahertz. And it became unstable. Started crashing, graphical glitches and stuff. I think it has been running with no problems for at least 2 years now.

Laptop: Intel Core i5-4200H, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce 840M

Desktop: Intel Core i3-6100, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce GTX 750 Ti

unfortunately the older GPU's were on a much larger process node, and the voltage needed to boost clock speeds to hilarious levels will likely fry every pathway and circuit on the way to the gpu.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I overclocked a Club 3D GeForce GT 610 1GB DDR3 810MHz (rare, because Club 3D stopped making Nvidia cards). I first clocked it to 900MHz. Little FPS increase, but the DX9 benchmark in PassMark got a nice FPS boost, and the GPU stayed cool. Then I brought it to 930MHz (it's currently running at that). Still stays fine, 35 degrees celsius at idle. Then, I went to the 1 Gigahertz. And it became unstable. Started crashing, graphical glitches and stuff. I think it has been running with no problems for at least 2 years now.

you say that's rare? I have a Club3D GTX570 running in my rig right now.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!