Woke up from Cryo-Sleep ... what happened to CPU tech?

It's been a little while since I paid much attention to the CPU and MOBO landscape.

The last time I still had time for it was when Phenoms were still a thing, Bulldozer was "new" and the best thing on the market was the I7-2600K. I've tried watching some of linuses videos but that's left me even more confused. All I wanted to do was build a decent gaming and video editing rig over the winter but given how things have changed since then ... I have no clue what to do -.-

Budget?

Intel is still better than amd. 4790k isnt much more powerful than 2600k, but its far better than what amd has to offer.

5820k on the other hand is amazing for multithread, its like 80$ more expensive for 2 more hyperthreaded cores but you have to spend more on 200$+ mobo and expensive 16gb of DDR4 quad channel ram.

edit

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

AMD has made a step backward since Phenom, the ''new'' FX CPU's can't even process the amount of instructions they did back in the phenom architecture. SO AMD is out of the game now the chips are unneficient and you need crazy overclocks, good quality motherboards with a lot of power phases and a good CPU cooler for them...and even at 5ghz they still are slower than intel in regards to gaming...for video rendering they perform on the level of a core i5 unlocked CPU overall.

Intel on their side have made a close to 10% improvement in cpu processing going from sandy bridge (2nd gen) to ivy bridge (3rd gen) and then another 6% from ivy bridge to haswell (4th gen) which is where we are at. They've also increased the clockspeed. Intel is offering locked and unlocked chips, if you do any kind of serious video rendering you should consider the i7-4790K it's the best consumer CPU...if you do it proffesionaly then maybe look at the i7-5820K or i7-5960X which is the new Z99 enthousiast socket that uses ddr4 but the mainstream user and hardcore gamer won't need that.

If you mostly do gaming along with some rendering and video editing on the side a core i5-4690K has you covered, it's a blazing fast CPU...you want a Z97 chipset motherboard to go along.

Ask if you have any questions/concerns...and BTW welcome to the forum!

As an example, this would be the typical ''best for the price'' higher end gaming rig that you could/should build on...included are only the ''crucial'' parts:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.98 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 93.3 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($64.99 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($116.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($73.99 @ Newegg)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($329.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $805.94

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-17 08:04 EDT-0400

As mentionned if you render a lot or want the best in class CPU consider a step-up to the i7-4790K, you need a good quality 550W power supply or more to run this rig and a case.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

AMD has made a step backward since Phenom, the ''new'' FX CPU's can't even process the amount of instructions they did back in the phenom architecture. SO AMD is out of the game now the chips are unneficient and you need crazy overclocks, good quality motherboards with a lot of power phases and a good CPU cooler for them...and even at 5ghz they still are slower than intel in regards to gaming...for video rendering they perform on the level of a core i5 unlocked CPU overall.

Intel on their side have made a close to 10% improvement in cpu processing going from sandy bridge (2nd gen) to ivy bridge (3rd gen) and then another 6% from ivy bridge to haswell (4th gen) which is where we are at. They've also increased the clockspeed. Intel is offering locked and unlocked chips, if you do any kind of serious video rendering you should consider the i7-4790K it's the best consumer CPU...if you do it proffesionaly then maybe look at the i7-5820K or i7-5960X which is the new Z99 enthousiast socket that uses ddr4 but the mainstream user and hardcore gamer won't need that.

If you mostly do gaming along with some rendering and video editing on the side a core i5-4690K has you covered, it's a blazing fast CPU...you want a Z97 chipset motherboard to go along.

This, 1000 times this.

Also, get you some SSD, nothing else makes as large a difference in how fast the system is as a whole.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Budget?

Intel is still better than amd. 4790k isnt much more powerful than 2600k, but its far better than what amd has to offer.

5820k on the other hand is amazing for multithread, its like 80$ more expensive for 2 more hyperthreaded cores but you have to spend more on 200$+ mobo and expensive 16gb of DDR4 quad channel ram.

Budget of $1200 CAD >,..,< (300 budgeted for GPU)

i5 + Z97 CS gotcha thank you for that will be getting that asap :)

AMD Dun goof'd with Bulldozer, and the revised iteration of it - Piledriver. Intel is king for single core performance, and enthusiast/high end gaming.

I just hope AMD pull their thumb out of their arse and do a good job with their next desktop chip - Zen.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Budget of $1200 CAD >,..,< (300 budgeted for GPU)

i5 + Z97 CS gotcha thank you for that will be getting that asap :)

***core i5-46xxK and a Z97 motherboard***...if that sets you over budget, maybe look for a core i5-4460 or core i5-4590 and an H97 motherboard, those also performs good but with these you can't overclock, so you'd leave a potential 30% or so on the table.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR