Google Announces a Gaming Console/HTPC

LAwLz

player-overview-1024.jpg

Specs:

1.8GHz Quad core Intel Atom with PowerVR 6 series GPU. (Most likely the Atom Z2460 which means the GPU is a G5430, the same as the iPhone 5S).

1GB of RAM

8GB of local storage.

Ports:

HDMI out

MicroUSB 2.0

Wireless connectivity:

Wireless AC

Bluetooth 4.1

NO ETHERNET PORT (Why the hell not Google?)

Size and weight:

12cm in diameter and 2cm tall.

Weighs 235 grams.

Key Features:

Comes with a remote which allows for voice commands (button for it can be seen in the image above).

Looks like it will have the Android TV interface.

Supports Google Cast, so any ChromeCast app will be able to beam to it.

Syncs your content across all your devices.

Pre-orders start on October 17th.

No words on pricing yet.

Looks like it's made by Asus (or at least the controller is).

It does NOT come with the controller you see in the picture.

My opinion:

This looks like Google's attempt at making an OUYA. I actually really like the concept of the OUYA although the Tegra 3 it shipped with was not powerful enough for my needs.

If this costs ~99 dollars or less then I can see it being a big hit. Price is a huge factor though, and it will most certainly decide the fate of this.

For me, it needs to be able to play emulators and by Chinese cartoons (more demanding than you might think). If it does that and it is cheap then I'll really like it.

Edit: Other people in the thread have bought up two interesting ideas.

1) Steam in-home streaming. If someone manages to get it running on this then that would be fantastic (assuming the price is low which I think it will be).

2) Running Windows on it. I doubt this will happen but you never know.

For those of you who are interested in what the UI looks like here is a (pretty old) video about Android TV which also shows off the controller. Android TV is the OS this little box is running. Thanks @Opcode for the link.

Edit:

breakingUPDATE_20120329074405_320_240.JP

According to the website Recode, AndroidPolice, TechCrunch and many others the Nexus Player will cost 99 dollars and the controller will cost 39 dollars.

Source: Google

next gen HD. 4k, 8k, 9001k. Nothing that this console cant handle.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Honestly, if Ouya had been executed better it could have caught on. I think micro consoles have potential, especially if they have game stream technology, as well as a couple of killer apps.

Edit: why the hell does it not use an nVidia Tegra K1. I guess costs could be an issue but damn, it could have been awesome.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

I'd laugh if it was somehow cheaper and more powerful than sony and microshit's shitboxes

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

next gen HD. 4k, 8k, 9001k. Nothing that this console cant handle.

Totally not sarcasic Kappa :D

Really? They call this a gaming console?

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Considering it has an atom cpu, nothing's stopping us from installing windows and running pc games on this ;) (not star citizen of course but there is a huge library of older games the atom will run just fine). If the price is right I actually find this interesting.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If I stack 8 of these on top of each other, will that make a Mac Pro?

I'm sorry....but why wouldn't I just get an NVidia shield instead? this seems so stupid....

but I guess that's more to NVidia's credit than google's fault - NVidia shield seems like way more value for what you get than this garbage

Finally a news post that's actually readable. Thank you for taking the time to do so.

On topic, I see no point in this for myself personally. If anything, Google should have released this prior to the launch of the Chromecast. The way I see it, this device is already DOA as it will be cannibalized by the Chromecast.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Considering it has an atom cpu, nothing's stopping us from installing windows and running pc games on this ;) (not star citizen of course but there is a huge library of older games the atom will run just fine). If the price is right I actually find this interesting.

are there PowerVR drivers for windows?

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

If it can run steam in home sstreaming, Its worth it.

Beside , if googled making it Its probably gonna be like 100$

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

I'm sorry....but why wouldn't I just get an NVidia shield instead? this seems so stupid....

You can't run windows on a shield, with this theoretically you can. That's where I see this showing its full potential. It's basically a tiny media pc that can play some older games and comes with a controller.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

As some other people have said, I'm not so sure how well this will turn out. I'm all for android micro consoles, but I don't know why I would get this compared to current products unless it's super cheap.

Only 8gb of storage? Odd choice. I wonder if it'll end up having expansion. That's like 5 larger Android games.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

You can't run windows on a shield, with this theoretically you can. That's where I see this showing its full potential. It's basically a tiny media pc that can play some older games and comes with a controller.

It doesn't come with the controller :(

but I guess that's more to NVidia's credit than google's fault - NVidia shield seems like way more value for what you get than this garbage

You are mixing everything - anyone who is going to buy this is not looking for a tablet, neither wants to pay the price of a tablet.

Stupidity is to consider this device garbage because it's not a tablet made by nvidia :|

If it can run steam in home sstreaming, Its worth it.

Beside , if googled making it Its probably gonna be like 100$

Hmm didn't think of it from this angle. Even if in home streaming users bought this by the boatloads, it still probably wouldn't sell well enough and get killed off by Google regardless.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

The description is missing one vital piece of information, what GPU does it use? If they expect to make their money back on this they better have used a GPU capable of playing proper games. If all it can play is android/facebook games then this will be one of Google's biggest flops to date. Even console gamers will laugh when they hear about this. This basically looks like an android powered steambox that uses cellphone hardware. What market are you aiming for with this product, exactly?

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

The description is missing one vital piece of information, what GPU does it use? If they expect to make their money back on this they better have used a GPU capable of playing proper games. If all it can play is android/facebook games then this will be one of Google's biggest flops to date. Even console gamers will laugh when they hear about this. This basically looks like an android powered steambox that uses cellphone hardware. What market are you aiming for with this product, exactly?

Micro Console market. The GPU had been addressed.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

might be nice if its cheap use that with limelight and you have PC gameing on the TV ( on my LG G2 i have 32MS ping with limelight and i am on wireless N) give that a Ethernet port and i am sold :D

Needs Update

Sauron, on 16 Oct 2014 - 03:41 AM, said:

1gb ram....

I suspect this will go over about as well as the Nexus Q did. What's that, you've never heard of the Nexus Q? That's probably due to the severity at which it failed.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit