Horrible temps on Watercooled 290x's.

Hi all.

I'm currently running a build with a 3770k and 2 290x's both mildly overclocked, paired with a 3x120 and a 2x120 XSPC RX series (the thicker ones) rads performing as exhaust and intake respectively, yet I am getting temps that don't fare much better than an aircooled card.

At load, I get somewhere between a 50 and 55 degree delta depending on how intense the application is, ie Furmark leaves my GPU at 80 degrees Celsius.

This does NOT sound right to me, seeing others getting 50 degree temps with very similar setups. 

Anybody have any idea what's going on here? Pump is a D5 Vario on maximum settings fyi.

Thermal paste? I would reseat the blocks.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Reseat waterblocks?

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Hi all.

I'm currently running a build with a 3770k and 2 290x's both mildly overclocked, paired with a 3x120 and a 2x120 XSPC RX series (the thicker ones) rads performing as exhaust and intake respectively, yet I am getting temps that don't fare much better than an aircooled card.

At load, I get somewhere between a 50 and 55 degree delta depending on how intense the application is, ie Furmark leaves my GPU at 80 degrees Celsius.

This does NOT sound right to me, seeing others getting 50 degree temps with very similar setups. 

Anybody have any idea what's going on here? Pump is a D5 Vario on maximum settings fyi.

Hi all.

Get some better thermal compound and re seat the water blocks.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

Were these aftermarket 290xs?
Did you buy the proper waterblock specifically made for those cards?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The blocks don't seem to be the issue in terms of thermal conduction, they are very hot to the touch, somewhere close to the temperatures of the GPU core, maybe 10 degrees below, but not enough to cause such a large temp difference.

The blocks don't seem to be the issue in terms of thermal conduction, they are very hot to the touch, somewhere close to the temperatures of the GPU core, maybe 10 degrees below, but not enough to cause such a large temp difference.

Can you take a picture of the GPU's with the tubing and blocks visible? They shouldn't be getting hot.  The water should be getting hot. 

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Can you take a picture of the GPU's with the tubing and blocks visible? They shouldn't be getting hot.  The water should be getting hot. 

The Water is also quite hot haha, not currently with them at the moment so unable to take a picture, but the tubing (and therefore water) is also quite warm to the touch.

I fear it may be an issue with heat dissipation from my radiators, as I feel very little airflow coming through them, could this be possible?

The Water is also quite hot haha, not currently with them at the moment so unable to take a picture, but the tubing (and therefore water) is also quite warm to the touch.

I fear it may be an issue with heat dissipation from my radiators, as I feel very little airflow coming through them, could this be possible?

What is the CPU temp? 

pictures of the loop layout would be helpful.

240/360 x 60 for normal overclocking is achievable. 290s are a little heated from

design. XSPC have a loose/low fin per inch count. unless they are clogged up,

they are a easy airflow array. 800-1400rpm fans can do the job.

what waterblocks are being used? what kind of overclock/voltage is being used?

Ok, here is the worst possible sketch I could do (online tool with a trackpad). Plz forgive.

Fans: 

1/2 - Enermax T40's

3/4/5 - XSPC stock 120 fans included with kit

GPUs:

GPU 1: XSPC 290x waterblock

GPU 2: Koolance 290x Waterblock

Pump/Res is a D5 Vario with an intergated glass tube reservoir.

as6tm8W.png

pictures of the loop layout would be helpful.

240/360 x 60 for normal overclocking is achievable. 290s are a little heated from

design. XSPC have a loose/low fin per inch count. unless they are clogged up,

they are a easy airflow array. 800-1400rpm fans can do the job.

what waterblocks are being used? what kind of overclock/voltage is being used?

In terms of OC/Voltage, I've got 1100/1500 on both with a power limit of +30 and a Voltage increase of +50 mV

sorry, but your layout is vague.

do you have a real picture?

can't tell if the tube from the upper rad is going to the front rad or the res/pump?

or is the res/pump feeding the GPU?

sorry, but your layout is vague.

do you have a real picture?

can't tell if the tube from the upper rad is going to the front rad or the res/pump?

or is the res/pump feeding the GPU?

Upper rad to front rad, front rad to pump, pump to GPU 2, GPU 2 to GPU 1, GPU 1 to CPU, CPU to upper rad.

Upper rad to front rad, front rad to pump, pump to GPU 2, GPU 2 to GPU 1, GPU 1 to CPU, CPU to upper rad.

what waterblocks?

How are the water blocks setup? In series or parallel? Sounds like you might have low flow rate. Plus  with 2 different types of water blocks you might have problems. Did you use thermal paste and thermal pads with the water blocks?

5960x-4.4|AsusRE5|16g DDR4-2133|ZOTAC GTX 1080 FE-EK Block|2Smsng 850 EVO 500gb ssds Raid0|2Tb WD Blk|Win10-64|PC P&C 1200W|Thrmltake X9|Custom H20 cooling|Dell U3415W

4790k-4.7|AsusMxVIIH|16g DDR3-2400|EVGA GTX980TI SC-EK Block|Cru M500-240g ssd:500g WD Blk|Win10-64|PC P&C 950W|HAF932Adv|Custom H20 cooling|BenQ BL3200PT

How are the water blocks setup? In series or parallel? Sounds like you might have low flow rate. Plus with 2 different types of water blocks you might have problems. Did you use thermal paste and thermal pads with the water blocks?

You can tell by looking at the diagram they are in series. OP your blocks shouldn't be getting that hot to the touch, water might be moving throughthem very slowly or even getting stuck in them. Did you bleed all the air properly? How lond did you let it run to get rid of micro bubbles? When you were filling, when the water got to your blocks, did it seem like it took a long time for the eater to make it's way out of the blocks? Any tight bends/kinks before or after the blocks? What are your CPU temps like? Are your GPU temps bad even at stock?

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

You can tell by looking at the diagram they are in series. OP your blocks shouldn't be getting that hot to the touch, water might be moving throughthem very slowly or even getting stuck in them. Did you bleed all the air properly? How lond did you let it run to get rid of micro bubbles? When you were filling, when the water got to your blocks, did it seem like it took a long time for the eater to make it's way out of the blocks? Any tight bends/kinks before or after the blocks? What are your CPU temps like? Are your GPU temps bad even at stock?

I dont think it's an issue with the blocks either in terms of transfering heat, they are hot to the touch, but to be fair the tubing itself also appears very warm.

I'm wondering if it's an issue with the radiators transferring heat to air, I feel very little airflow coming from the rads.

I had a similar problem with 2x 780s in a H440 (Although not quite as hot).

The inside of the case was very hot as well. I fixed it by switching to NF-F12s on the radiators and a much better airflow fan on the rear 140mm. I was previously using the stock H440 fans which were terrible for static pressure.

2x GTX780 (@1.29ghz) | 2x 840evo 250GB raid0 | i5 4690k (@4.7ghz) | Watercooled Modded H440 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/255872-project-whiteout-v20-h440-watercooled-3xradiators-10-fans

@binman13

You can have a number of problems here, some have been stated so if i restate them please understand i am just saying what it could be.

1. Nothing is wrong with the radiators those XSPC fans how ever are only good for slimmer radiators because they have poor static pressure even though it is stated to have 1.7 static pressure i feel it is more like 1.4, no scientific testing just from feeling the difference from other fans like the Cougar turbine. Another thing is that the fans do not give focused air flow which is needed for thick radiators. Fan suggestions...fan1 fan2 fan3 fan4 any one of these will give you the static pressure you need 
  2. My loop would be reservoir > pump > cpu > 240 radiator > GPU1 > GPU2 > 360 radiator > reservoir, a single GPU blocks are very restrictive let alone two.
  3. you have different GPU blocks, this will create a problem
  4. If you have air in the SLI connector you will have a problem
  5. You also have to understand this is two 290Xs and the heat out put is probably at the radiator's limit
  6. The hot air being expelled from the 240 radiator is being put back into to the reservoir by the configuration you have. The configuration looks as if you have the fans in pull as expressed by the arrows
  7. You did not put any other case fans you have in that exquisite unique sketch you put there and i feel you may gain some cooling performance by adding some fans on the bottom of the case as intakes. The bigger and stronger then fan the better but ensure they have a tolerable sound level, we don't want your PC sounding like a floor polisher
  8. If you used the supplied thermal pad and TIM that cam with the GPU blocks then you are good. You may want to try switching the GPUs meaning putting GPU 1 in GPU2's place and GPU2 in GPU1's place and see if you get a drop in temperatures.

Please post with any success you get.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I dont think it's an issue with the blocks either in terms of transfering heat, they are hot to the touch, but to be fair the tubing itself also appears very warm.

I'm wondering if it's an issue with the radiators transferring heat to air, I feel very little airflow coming from the rads.

Not sure if you already mentioned this but what fans are you using and what RPM do you run them at?

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |