Skype Qick - Video Messaging That's Simple As Text

GoodBytes

Skype releases a new app for all smartphones platform: Android, iPhone and Windows Phone, which aims to replace to some level text messaging, by allowing you to quickly send to people in your contact list short message videos (42sec long max).

skypeqikscreenshots.0.jpg

The app allows you to dynamically and quickly switch between front view and back view camera from a tap on a button for your message.

If the person that receiving the message doesn't have the app, they'll get a SMS message.

Videos recorded can be used for later on, or multiple times.

The Verge says:

Skype Qik is truly quick. You swipe down from the home screen of the app and you’re thrown immediately into the video interface where you can freely switch between front- and rear-facing smartphone cameras while you’re recording. There’s no preview or waiting for the video to process, it just sends immediately to a friend or a group of friends you have set up. You have 42 seconds to record, a subtle nod to The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, and video is sent in a square format to recipients. Microsoft thought about adding text-messaging options, but Sierra explains that the company wanted to stay focused solely on video messaging. "The point of this is to have video conversations, especially with groups of people." It’s also built entirely for mobile. There’s no tablet version of Skype Qik, or even PC or Mac clients, it’s available only for iPhone, Android, and Windows Phone.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/14/6973625/skype-qik-video-messaging-features

Download:

Windows Phone: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/skype-qik/e145af3f-2aab-4e78-8699-ce948e26d27f

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skype.android.qik

iPhone: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/skype-qik/id893994044

Please don't be bad as current skype  :)

I love the idea 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Soooo vine but to be social instead of viral?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

This is interesting, however, I think something like this already exists. But thanks anyway @GoodBytes.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Nope. What wrong with text messaging? Its easier to read a text than looking at a video.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

this will make drunk texting much much worse.

Good idea but I won't be able to use it since people I know won't use it or don't know how to use it.

Snapchat but only 5 sec?

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

@GoodBytes it appears in the article they mention both 5 seconds and 42 seconds. I think it is 42 seconds that your message can be.

You have 42 seconds to record, a subtle nod to The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, and video is sent in a square format to recipients.

The idea of simply video messaging won’t appeal to everyone, though, and Microsoft has built a Qik Flik feature that lets users record a five-second video that can be stored and reused in situations where you might not want (or be able) to record a video message.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Yes. It is 42sec record time. My mistake. I don't have a smartphone to test the app to know.

So it's a long vine/snapchat but with texting and using skype contacts and has a way to work even if the other doesn't have the app?

I'll use it but it doesn't seem as revolutionary as it is expected

"subtle nod"

"M. Aronnax." replied the Canadian, "your arguments are rotten at the foundation. You speak in the future, 'We shall be there! we shall be here!' I speak in the present, 'We are here, and we must profit by it.'"

but you can just record a tiny video on your phone and send it anyway

in fact if I go into "messaging" on my iphone, there is a button to "record video" and it instantly sends it to the recipient.... 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

bleh, the still need to fix ths skype app for android. That thing is unresponsive, and not smooth at all.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

It seems like an alright idea but poorly executed. They should have just added this to the regular Skype app instead of having you download a new app and then type in your phone number.

bleh, the still need to fix ths skype app for android. That thing is unresponsive, and not smooth at all.

Oh God yes. It's awful. I sometimes don't get messages on my phone but I do get them on my computer (so when I have the conversation open on my phone and desktop I can see more messages on my desktop). Sometimes it signs me out even though the Skype notification icon is still there (and the app does a complete restart when I press the notification saying I am logged in) and a bunch of other issues. It's barely usable.