Upgrading From AMD To Intel CPU - OS Issues?

I am not planning to upgrade my CPU and motherboard any time soon but I read that when moving to an entirely different platform that a clean install of Windows (using 8.1) is recommended.

This may be a silly question but do I need to format my C: Drive (Samsung SSD) - deleting everything just to reinstall windows? Or can I just reinstall windows (via CD) without needing to delete or do anything?

Alternatively, the thing with Windows 8.1 is that it can *sometimes* adapt to new hardware changes (even new CPU/Motherboard) so re-installation may be unnecessary, but we are talking about switching platforms here (AMD to Intel). Can someone confirm this? 

I rather not format my SSD because installing Uplay is a bloody pain.

Thanks

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

You'll have to format the drive to reinstall Windows. Even if you don't format it yourself, Windows will format it when installing. 

Move anything you want to keep onto another drive (some programs won't like being moved and will have to be reinstalled afterwards anyway) then install Windows and move everything back over.

Sometimes Windows will be fine with hardware/platform changes, but you'll have junk drivers and a load of mess in configuration type files, so it's best to do a clean install. 

Changing motherboard (And even chipset)? Then I will HIGHLY recommend a clean install to prevent incompatibilities. To reinstall windows I do believe you HAVE to format (Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong). It can adapt but it's a bit messy. Clean installs simply eliminate ANY chance for compatibility issues and is just recommended when doing something like this

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

You'll have to format the drive to reinstall Windows. Even if you don't format it yourself, Windows will format it when installing. 

Move anything you want to keep onto another drive (some programs won't like being moved and will have to be reinstalled afterwards anyway) then install Windows and move everything back over.

Sometimes Windows will be fine with hardware/platform changes, but you'll have junk drivers and a load of mess in configuration type files, so it's best to do a clean install. 

Ok thanks. You said Windows will format it when installing. Does that mean I do not need to format it beforehand? Windows will do it for me?

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

Changing motherboard (And even chipset)? Then I will HIGHLY recommend a clean install to prevent incompatibilities. To reinstall windows I do believe you HAVE to format (Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong). It can adapt but it's a bit messy. Clean installs simply eliminate ANY chance for compatibility issues and is just recommended when doing something like this

Yes that is the best option.

Windows will  refuse to accept the win8 licence(since you need to change mobo), but don't worry just reactivate it via their phone service.

Java Programmer, AMD Fanboy and soon to be casemodder

What I am about to say might not be useful, but I figure I mention it anyways.

I went from an Z87-A motherboard to a Z97-AR motherboard and didn't have to do anything.  Just plug and play.  The only thing I had to do was uninstall old drivers and motherboard applications, and install the new motherboard drivers and apps.

A clean install is always recommended.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Windows might refuse to accept the win8 licence(since you need to change mobo), if it happens just reactivate it via their phone service.

That's what I thought, but we are talking about two very different chipset so I am now inclined to reinstall.

A side question, can anyone recommend me a Z97 motherboard in this link?

Budget no larger than $270 (Australian) 

http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products_list.phtml?id=10&bid=9&id2=376

I currently have my eyes on Gigabyte Z97-SOC Force and ASUS Z97 TUF Gryphon.  

Though I will not upgrade until 2015.

Ok thanks. You said Windows will format it when installing. Does that mean I do not need to format it beforehand? Windows will do it for me?

Yeah, the Windows installer will format it before installation, you don't have to do it yourself.