Doing a new build for late 2014

Hey, looking to do a new build for late 2014 with some parts already acquired. I have a gtx 970, 750w, two hard drives, and a blu-ray drive. What CPU, memory and motherboard should I go for if not going above $1,000 and an intel line up?

Hey, looking to do a new build for late 2014 with some parts already acquired. I have a gtx 970, 750w, two hard drives, and a blu-ray drive. What CPU, memory and motherboard should I go for if not going above $1,000 and an intel line up?

i7-4790k

Asus Z97-AR

8GB of RAM.  1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 1.5v up to 2400Mhz, 10-12-12-31 1.65v.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

i7-4790k

Asus Z97-AR

8GB of RAM.  1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 1.5v up to 2400Mhz, 10-12-12-31 1.65v.

Is it worth it to go for the 2011 v3 platform yet and drr4?

Is it worth it to go for the 2011 v3 platform yet and drr4?

Only if you are doing workstation type tasks.  For just gaming no.  Even an i7 for gaming is overkill.

i5 =/= i7

More Benchies

Reason I opted for the i7 with your build is because you have a very large budget for CPU, Mobo and RAM.

If you haven't bought a case yet, look into the Phanteks Enthoo Pro or Enthoo Luxe.

If you live in the U.S., the best price:performance CPU cooler is the Cooler Master Seidon 240M for $60 on Newegg.com.  Stay away from the H100i, mounting problems.  If you want, there are better options like the Corsair H105, NZXT X61, Swiftech H220X/H240X.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Only if you are doing workstation type tasks.  For just gaming no.  Even an i7 for gaming is overkill.

i5 =/= i7

More Benchies

Reason I opted for the i7 with your build is because you have a very large budget for CPU, Mobo and RAM.

If you haven't bought a case yet, look into the Phanteks Enthoo Pro or Enthoo Luxe.

If you live in the U.S., the best price:performance CPU cooler is the Cooler Master Seidon 240M for $60 on Newegg.com.  Stay away from the H100i, mounting problems.  If you want, there are better options like the Corsair H105, NZXT X61, Swiftech H220X/H240X.

I also forgot to mention I do video editing and sound work in Cyberlink Power director would the 6-core make more sense?

I also forgot to mention I do video editing and sound work in Cyberlink Power director would the 6-core make more sense?

For this type of work, yes.  But the i7-4790k is no slouch.  It all depends on how fast you want to render a video.  Talk to some colleagues, look at some program specific benchmarks and find out if the increase in performance is justified by the drastic increase in price.

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it.

For this type of work, yes.  But the i7-4790k is no slouch.  It all depends on how fast you want to render a video.  Talk to some colleagues, look at some program specific benchmarks and find out if the increase in performance is justified by the drastic increase in price.

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it.

Happy to help, just do your research and everything will come into focus.  Come here to ask questions, but do some general knowledge searching before and see if you can gather some information and develop your own independent opinion on something.  There is a lot of misinformation on this forum, and people will try to sway you either way.  The best advice I can give you is to do your research.