LGA775 Core2Duo, Core2Quad OVERCLOCKING guide

harrynowl

My old core2duo e6550 was one of the easiest overclocks I ever did. I didn't really push it as far as I could though. Still have it in my closet.

C2D E6550 2.33ghz x7 multiplier

Gigabyte P35 DS3P rev 1.1 motherboard

OCZ Reaper DDR2 800 2x1GB

Tuniq Tower 120 cooler

I bumped the ram to 1000 (3.5ghz OC, 1:1 ratio) and called it a day. Ran cool and stable for years. Can't say if I had to touch any voltages. I did later when I added two more reaper sticks, but it would only go a little over 3.3. Bad move on my part.

Tuniq Tower is still in use on a Phenom II 955BE

main(i){for(;i<101;i++)printf("Fizz\n\0Fizzz\bBuzz\n\0%d\n"+(!(i%5)^!!(i%3)*3)*6,i);}

I can't find any sticker. All I se anything close is a B, but i doubt it.

Strange. I'll have a look around.

Nice to see people still sorta care about lga775 platform great tutorial btw  :) .

Thanks for the feedback :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Im running the e8400 at 3.6Ghz on 1.33 volts. I want to go further but it wont let me

Its running in a Asrock P45XE mb with kingston 4gb 800mhz ddr2 ram.

Its also running quite hot at 50 idle and 55 load? The cooler I use is the Thermaltake Sonic Tower

do you guys now how to get the temps down and the jiggahertz up?

Hi guys,

Im running the e8400 at 3.6Ghz on 1.33 volts. I want to go further but it wont let me

Its running in a Asrock P45XE mb with kingston 4gb 800mhz ddr2 ram.

Its also running quite hot at 50 idle and 55 load? The cooler I use is the Thermaltake Sonic Tower

do you guys now how to get the temps down and the jiggahertz up?

I'd try dropping your RAM frequency to 667MHz. I think you're probably running that 800MHz ram out of spec at higher FSBs.

With low(er) frequncy RAM your OC is limited by your RAMs range (effective frequency is half FSB at minimum, so at 1600MHz fsb you run 800MHz on the RAM)

LGA775 is the best LGA775 socket.

If you mean motherboard, I find you can't go wrong with the ASUS P5Q or the Gigabyte EP45-UD3P. Both are generally ~£50. I've borrowed a P5Q right now and it's fantastic. In order of preference nForce 680i -> P35 -> 790i -> P45

What cooler? You can usually get some overclock without adding volts. Looks like a G41 board. see if you have any options in your bios.

YaY! I just gave away a P5Q PRO to @Speedbird so he got a steal!

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

Nice :) P5Qs were great.

I don't know. I've been wanting an nForce 790i board for so long, but they're still expensive, even on eBay.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I'd go P45 to be honest :)

I always thought nVidia boards were better back in the 775 days. I got a 680i board still running with my Q6600, but it's abit, totally dead. i'm happy with it, but i just need more zest. but the led lights behind the motherboard are pretty cool.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I always thought nVidia boards were better back in the 775 days. I got a 680i board still running with my Q6600, but it's abit, totally dead. i'm happy with it, but i just need more zest. but the led lights behind the motherboard are pretty cool.

The nVidia boards were prettier and looked cooler but generally the Intel boards had better designed chipsets. 

The nVidia boards were prettier and looked cooler but generally the Intel boards had better designed chipsets. 

How were the intel chipsets better designed? Maybe heat, but i doubt it makes a difference since my case is choking the airflow with no cable management, whatsoever.

How were the intel chipsets better designed? Maybe heat, but i doubt it makes a difference since my case is choking the airflow with no cable management, whatsoever.

they have tolerances for much higher FSB :)

they have tolerances for much higher FSB :)

That might be why my Q6600 can't be overclocked to 3GHz without freezing and restarts on a 1333MHz FSB. But now I think even 2.78GHz is even too much because when i go to bed and wake up, the computer is restarted.

That might be why my Q6600 can't be overclocked to 3GHz without freezing and restarts on a 1333MHz FSB. But now I think even 2.78GHz is even too much because when i go to bed and wake up, the computer is restarted.

680i hates quads

680i hates quads

Now you tell me? I think i need a better board maybe. But then I don't know what to do with the old board.

Now you tell me? I think i need a better board maybe. But then I don't know what to do with the old board.

I think I told you earlier in this thread :(

throw a dual core on the old one and bundle it on ebay

I have an e2180, can I overclock it with the stock cooler?

Core2 Quad Q9400 @ 3.00GHz ✦  8GB Corsair RAM ✦Asus P5G41Tm - Lx3 ✦ Sapphire R9 270 Dual-X ✦ WD Caviar Green 640 GB ✦ Seagate Barracuda 160GB ✦ Fractal Design Define R5 ✦ 1Life ps:jet 700W ✦  

Lenovo Y520 - GTX1050Ti - i77700k - 250GB Samsung M.2 NVME SSD  :D 

I think I told you earlier in this thread :(

throw a dual core on the old one and bundle it on ebay

I don't have a dual core. Well, I do, but it's in current use.

I have an e2180, can I overclock it with the stock cooler?

What's the heat output? It might, but there is a threshold you can't pass and it might work, it just might be harder.

What's the heat output? It might, but there is a threshold you can't pass and it might work, it just might be harder.

very low. my e2200 was ~50c @ 1.33v

I can get dual cores for £1.99 on eBay uk (e.g. pentium e5200)

they're seriously that cheap? damn. but that's uk, so idk if us is any better. but my dad probably won't let me buy a new board. and plus, i'm starting to hate ddr2 since they're not really available anymore.

they're seriously that cheap? damn. but that's uk, so idk if us is any better. but my dad probably won't let me buy a new board. and plus, i'm starting to hate ddr2 since they're not really available anymore.

:(

I have about 20 LGA775 chips. Issue is it'd cost more on import than they're worth :P