Does a fan spin up faster on a PSU with lower watts

davidst95

Go to solution Solved by LemonSpice,

Hi,

Sorry I just asked question a few minutes ago but I have another quick one :-)   Does a PSU fan spin up faster on a PSU watts that has lower watts than a PSU with higher watts?  Thanks.

David

usually are you talking about the psus that dont have there fans spin until 20-30 percent load if so yes

Hi,

Sorry I just asked question a few minutes ago but I have another quick one :-)   Does a PSU fan spin up faster on a PSU watts that has lower watts than a PSU with higher watts?  Thanks.

David

usually

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Hi,

David

usually are you talking about the psus that dont have there fans spin until 20-30 percent load if so yes

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Ok thank you!   I hope I phrase my question correctly.   I don't know much about PSUs.

Depends on the efficiency of the PSU. YOu can find low wattage PSUs that dont even have a fan and are passively cooled.

but on two of the same kind, normally higher wattage means less % usage on the same load, so its "cooler" and the PSU wont need to cool as much due to this. 

On the other hand, a Platinum certified PSU will run cooler (more efficiently) than a Bronze one even if the W are less. Meaning the smaller W PSU will not use the fan  as much.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

A PSU will generate heat, depending on the components and layout it has there is a rated efficiency for both power and heat. The PSU maker tries to make sure that even under full load the temperature won't hurt any of the components, so they put a fan on it. Different fans can have different static pressure, blade design, RPM, speed variability and CFM, so their ability to cool something near is not always related to speed and sound.

Let's say you buy a 1000W PSU, but it's so efficient that on a 500W load, the TDP (Heat) is low, so a good fan won't need to spin at much of its percentage. Now, on another PSU that is 600W there are less efficient components, so a similar fan would have to spin faster.

There are 1000W PSUs that don't have such efficient internals, despite even having the same 80+ Rating, to make it work they use a high RPM fan, at 500W load it will spin even faster than the example of the 600W PSU.

Basically, it depends on all the components and the product design. Usually to save costs they use higher RPM fans, and they choose components and a fan that are good enough for that PSU model in terms of heat and reliability; meaning that doesn't matter the voltage, at 80% load you would have similar fan speeds. On a better tier of PSU, more towards the high end, low wattage PSUs have the same fans the big ones carry, making them much quiet (at half RPM there is enough cooling power for that many watts); and their bigger brothers (higher watts) get the same fans, being inherently more noisy at full load.

It depends on the psu. Some fans run at a constant speed, others can vary in speeds, and some can have the fan off at lower loads.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you're concerned about your PSU fan, buy a fan with a passive mode, like the EVGA G2  750

The fan won't spin up regardless of wattage load, until the PSU hits 45 c.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089