Help with cpu and motherboard choices

Hey guys.

So i want to build my own gaming rig. Im going to do middle to high level gaming as well as light video editting and a lot content creation using visual studio and unreal engine.

here are my 2 options (im open for more suggestions)

1. the Gigabyte gaming G1 x99 motherboard with DDR4 RAM and an i7 5820k

2. the Asus ROG maximus vii formula z97 motherboard with an i7 4790k and DDR3 2400Mhz

So what should i do judging by what i want to do with the computer? the x99 or the z97? also, with what i plan to do, are the processor and motherboard choices for each of the motherboards good? or do you suggest better like the 4930k for the z97 or the 5930k for the x99???

im not sure if this is relevant but im going to use the GTX 980 from nvidia(not gigabyte or evga... or should i? lol) and maybe later on when 4k picks up ill ad another 980 for SLI and overclock them. also using an asus PG278Q. Ill also overclock whatever CPU right off the bat to 4.0Ghz and use it like that for the forseeable future.

Hope ive not missed any information. I really appreciate your help.

I'd go with the ASUS ROG Z97 with i7 4790K.

Also I wouldn't really bother with too high of clocked ram, but that choice is up to you.

for the 980 I would suggest the EVGA ACX 2.0 or SC ACX 2.0.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

If you're doing a lot of content creation then getting X99 with a 5820k could be worth it. Do take note of the price premiums on X99 motherboards and DDR4 RAM though

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

--snip--

i would buy z97 and sli 970's for 4k and wait for the acer gsync 4k since it is beter for gaming while x99 is better for video and you said you didn't do that much video

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

here are my 2 options (im open for more suggestions)

1. the Gigabyte gaming G1 x99 motherboard with DDR4 RAM and an i7 5820k

2. the Asus ROG maximus vii formula z97 motherboard with an i7 4790k and DDR3 2400Mhz

I would not get X99 now, wait until Broadwell-E if you want to hop on board the DDR4 wagon. Save some money with a 4790K, and save some more money with a lower end motherboard like the MSI Z97 G45. Nobody really needs an ROG board.

For 980 get the reference cooler if you're looking to SLI later on

"Rawr XD"

I'd go with the ASUS ROG Z97 with i7 4790K.

Also I wouldn't really bother with too high of clocked ram, but that choice is up to you.

for the 980 I would suggest the EVGA ACX 2.0 or SC ACX 2.0.

AFAIK the ACX cooler on the GTX 980 is a bit flawed.

I would not get X99 now, wait until Broadwell-E if you want to hop on board the DDR4 wagon. Save some money with a 4790K, and save some more money with a lower end motherboard like the MSI Z97 G45. Nobody really needs an ROG board.

For 980 get the reference cooler if you're looking to SLI later on

Why would you wait for Broadwell-E? It's just a die shrink.

The ACX 1.0 cooler is the one with misplaced heat pipes, the 2.0 has that issue solved.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Why would you wait for Broadwell-E? It's just a die shrink.

ACX 2.0 on the 970 is flawed. It's perfectly good on the 980.

Also because DDR4 prices will start to come down from the ludicrously high prices they are now vs same frequency DDR3 

"Rawr XD"

aaah okay then ill go with the z97...

considering im doing content creation and programming and gaming, should i go 4790k or 4930k? or anything else?

aaah okay then ill go with the z97...

considering im doing content creation and programming and gaming, should i go 4790k or 4930k? or anything else?

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi