Shadows of Mordor optimization and tips.

deathjester

Edited cus I am a dumb ass, regarding mesh quality.

Played with this for a few hours now, played with the Ultra texture pack. 4k is perfectly playable and has higher FPS averages than the console port on a R9 290/GTX 970 and possibly a equally powered 3GB card. Will a r9 290 beat a 970 at stock due to memory bandwidth? Maybe, but my r9 290 is stock and you can overclock the 970 quite a bit.

Important things.

Run the game in windowed borderless (gives you triple buffering). Turn off Vsync, unlock FPS. This increases the smoothness of the game BIG TIME. Locked FPS sucks at this game, vsync sucks in this game as well.

Do not run Ultra textures unless you have a 6 GB card, because if you have the GPU power to run at 1440p Ultra, you should be running at 4k anyways through the in game downsampling (put the resolution option to 4k). It simply looks better. Unless you have a 6GB Titan Black simply ignore the Ultra texture pack all together. 4k high > 1440p Ultra. 1440p downsampling probably looks better than 1080p ultra as well.Just pretend this thing doesn't exist unless you have a Titan/Black. You will save yourself a ton of headaches.

My Graphics options.

Lighting Quality. Maxed.

Mesh Quality. Ultra.            I saw little performance difference on this with high textures. This absolutely killed performance with Ultra Textures.

Motion Blur. Off.

Shadow Quality High, With an OC you might be able to push this.

Texture Filtering Ultra

Texture Quality High

Ambient Occlusion High. Same as Shadow Quality. Might be able to push this with a OC.

Vegetation  Range Ultra

Depth of Field On

Order Independent Transparency on.

Tessellation. On.

Game runs like butter on my stock R9 290. A native 4k monitor will of course look better. This game is NOT badly optimized. If Batman is this optimized I will do freakin cartwheels. I did not think it would be smooth under 60 fps but it is. A locked 30/Vsync was a mess though.

Screenshot of 4k at 1080p. This is what the game looks like while running around. This is not a depth of field glory shot. Some detail is lost in the pic. 

http://imgur.com/whbV7d6

4k Benchmark with these settings. Updated since I changed mesh back to Ultra.

http://imgur.com/WV8dyJB

Hope it helps. Now that I am done playing with settings I can enjoy the game. If you are running a lower end card, maybe you can use these settings to downsample from 1440p (150 percent in the menu under resolution). Give it a shot and see if you like the image quality more.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

I run it maxed except textures high 1080p with a 7970.  I don't know what fps I'm getting but its smooth.

I run it maxed except textures high 1080p with a 7970.  I don't know what fps I'm getting but its smooth.

Try downsampling in the game with the resolution setting. As I said the picture looks better. Downsampling is AA without blur and this game has no AA. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Try downsampling in the game with the resolution setting. As I said the picture looks better. Downsampling is AA without blur and this game has no AA. 

Well I tried your settings. Bordered 3840 x2160 medium mesh and shadows and avg 29 fps lol  Think I need a new video card for this downsampling stuff.. lol

Well I tried your settings. Bordered 3840 x2160 medium mesh and shadows and avg 29 fps lol  Think I need a new video card for this downsampling stuff.. lol

Looked sweet though didn't it? :) So glad they added downsampling to the menu so we didn't have to mess with Gedosato or a custom resolution. I hope every game does this from now on.

You could try 1440p (150 percent). I bet that would look much better than 1080p maxed. Play with the settings a bit. Can prob max out shadows/occlusion.

Looked sweet though didn't it? :) So glad they added downsampling to the menu so we didn't have to mess with Gedosato or a custom resolution. I hope every game does this from now on.

You could try 1440p (150 percent). I bet that would look much better than 1080p maxed. Play with the settings a bit. Can prob max out shadows/occlusion.

in what graphic options do you think i can play it with the gtx 760??

PC Specs: Case Corsair Vengeance C70 - CPU i7-4770K @3.5Ghz - MOBO Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H - RAM HyperX Fury 2x8GB @1600Mhz - GPU MSI VENTUS RTX 2080 SUPER - HDD Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB, WD Black 4TB - PSU EVGA 750 G2 - Display Samsung S22C150 - CPU Cooler CM 212 Hyper EVO - Mouse Steelseries Sensei 310 - Current Wattage by pcpartpicker: 387W.

I doubt Mesh quality affects textures in any way.  Mesh is just more polygons, making stuff appear smoother/rougher/more detailed then textures on top of it.  But I did play around with the benchmark, all max except textures and average 80+FPS on a GTX 970.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I doubt Mesh quality affects textures in any way.  Mesh is just more polygons, making stuff appear smoother/rougher/more detailed then textures on top of it.  But I did play around with the benchmark, all max except textures and average 80+FPS on a GTX 970.

This isn't 1080p. This is 4k downsampled. It would be native on a 4k monitor. It just looks really good on a 1080p monitor. You could also downsample from 4 k to 1440p if you are running at that resolution. Go to resolution setting inside the game and click the arrow to the right. 

I really dont notice a difference playing in 4k with all turned on vs 1080 with all turned on. Even using ultra on the settings. The game is a ton of fun, tough.

"Who are you the King of Siam, you got to get the best one? Who cares? They’re all the same these machines. They’re all made from the same asian suffering." - Louie Season 3 Episode 10, GO WATCH IT NOW.

I really dont notice a difference playing in 4k with all turned on vs 1080 with all turned on. Even using ultra on the settings. The game is a ton of fun, tough.

Try mesh on ultra, I am stupid. I saw little performance difference on that setting from medium to ultra on high textures. It crippled performance with the Ultra texture pack though.

It is literally night and day on my 1080p IPS from 1080p to 4k. 

I have everything on ultra. I have an ips too, i know what more resolution does but what i mean is that is not breathtaking...i have played many games on 4k and 1080 and they just dont look so different. Comparing games is another thing for example, i love the way the fighting system works, i have played for hours non-stop. Some textures are indeed breathtaking but i notice it only in cutscenes from the main story, for example Ratbag looks superb but Tailon's face and the old Lady hair looks terrible. Crysis 3  gameplay was really meh. It took my breath away with some cutscenes but also with in-game graphics.

From what i have read the limit for the human eye will be around 8k so when we have the hardware to run more than 60 fps with a technology like G-sync at 8k i think that will the night and day change for me. 1k to 4k is just not doing it for me now.

"Who are you the King of Siam, you got to get the best one? Who cares? They’re all the same these machines. They’re all made from the same asian suffering." - Louie Season 3 Episode 10, GO WATCH IT NOW.

From what i have read the limit for the human eye will be around 8k

i guess that would depend on the screen size and viewing distance. Human eye limit is more to do with pixel density.

I was able to inject SMAA into the game using radeonpro. It looks great and doesn't eat up FPS like the down sampling options.