GTX 970 folding at incredibly slow rate? 30K PPD

Not sure what is wrong, but I download F@H, enter my username, passkey, team number etc and go to town.  Nothing else changed except removing my CPU from the folding slot but my GTX 970 PPD is 394?  How in the world are people getting multiple hundred thousands on a GTX 970?  I folded before and I remember it being MUCH higher on my GTX 670.  What am I doing wrong?

EDIT : I noticed my GPU core clock is sitting at 540MHz instead of 1555MHz which games push it to.

EDIT 2 : Restarted PC and hitting high clock speeds now, but PPD is dropping to 20K lol.. GPU usage 100% as usual.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I know Maxwell is more efficient but a clock speed of 1,555MHz sounds too high also it would depend on what WU you have.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Not sure what is wrong, but I download F@H, enter my username, passkey, team number etc and go to town.  Nothing else changed except removing my CPU from the folding slot but my GTX 970 PPD is 394?  How in the world are people getting multiple hundred thousands on a GTX 970?  I folded before and I remember it being MUCH higher on my GTX 670.  What am I doing wrong?

EDIT : I noticed my GPU core clock is sitting at 540MHz instead of 1555MHz which games push it to.

EDIT 2 : Restarted PC and hitting high clock speeds now, but PPD is dropping to 20K lol.. GPU usage 100% as usual.

Your PPD will depend on what WU you are currently on. The easy ones give 250k plus while the really hard ones can drop to 30k or lower.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

I know Maxwell is more efficient but a clock speed of 1,555MHz sounds too high also it would depend on what WU you have.

I've benchmarked and stress tested my GTX 970 into oblivion and 1555MHz is the highest I can go and be 100% stable in everything I do.  It's going up to 80K PPD now but that seems pretty low as well.  I've tried resetting my OC but nothing changed.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I've benchmarked and stress tested my GTX 970 into oblivion and 1555MHz is the highest I can go and be 100% stable in everything I do.  It's going up to 80K PPD now but that seems pretty low as well.  I've tried resetting my OC but nothing changed.

Its not the OC, it is the work unit you are currently folding.......

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

they seem to be handing out a fair number of core 15 wu's at the moment, due to various issues, those wu's aren't eligible for the QRB(quick return bonus) namely they don't give bonus points, so they have very low point return compared to core 17 and there's nothing we can do about it, just fold away.