Would Something Like a Corsair H55 Get the 4790k to About 4.6 - 4.8Ghz?

Go to solution Solved by Lord Pantaloons,

H55 has a weak pump and a thin rad, it's not suitable for overclocking. A reasonable amount of voltage can easily overwhelm that cooler, it would be smarter to get high end AIO or tower cooler. Also when it comes to cooling performance the clock speed has no effect on the heat the CPU puts out, it's the amount of voltage the chip is getting that determines how much heat is produced and we can't tell you if any cooler will work as the amount of voltage a chip needs to overclock is based on the silicon lottery and is completely random.

I mean it's turbo is already 4.4Ghz and stock speeds are 4Ghz. I wouldn't see why it actually couldn't, especially with the better thermals on the 4790k. 

That very much depens on your CPU. Maybe. Maybe not. 

Soooo to be safe get something like an H80i maybe? 

H55 has a weak pump and a thin rad, it's not suitable for overclocking. A reasonable amount of voltage can easily overwhelm that cooler, it would be smarter to get high end AIO or tower cooler. Also when it comes to cooling performance the clock speed has no effect on the heat the CPU puts out, it's the amount of voltage the chip is getting that determines how much heat is produced and we can't tell you if any cooler will work as the amount of voltage a chip needs to overclock is based on the silicon lottery and is completely random.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Soooo to be safe get something like an H80i maybe? 

For single fan AIOs I personally prefer the X41 but the H80i should be ok. 

For single fan AIOs I personally prefer the X41 but the H80i should be ok. 

Why's that? 

Because it's the best performing sigle fan AIO. 

I don't mean to be a jerk or anything when I say this but...do you have proof of that? Benchmarks, etc? 

I don't mean to be a jerk or anything when I say this but...do you have proof of that? Benchmarks, etc? 

Watch Linus's video on it. It beats the H100i. 

Watch Linus's video on it. It beats the H100i. 

I am...damn, is the X61 worth it though? 

also depends on what voltage is needed to achieve such overclocks.

the voltage is the heat generator in the most part.

a 4.2GHz OC on 1.2v loaded at 68° XTU static voltage

a 4.2GHz OC on 1.15v loaded at 56° XTU static voltage is a 12° difference.

I am...damn, is the X61 worth it though? 

If you live in the U.S. there is no better option than the Cooler Master Seidon 240M for $60.  Just can't beat it in terms of price:performance.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

While most of what you say is true, I would like to add that clock speed does have an effect on how much power the CPU consumes. I does only scale linear though, while it scales to the square of voltage.

Also when it comes to cooling performance the clock speed has no effect on the heat the CPU puts out,

Well, that's not completely true. Its true that the big jumps in heat do come from overvolting, but a CPU at a higher clock speed does run slightly hotter than one at stock speed, with voltage held constant. Its minor and easily manageable, but its there. It would defy physics for the core to do more in the span of a second without generating a bit more heat.