WHy do OEM PCs get so loud?

asim1999

Was watching some videos of alienware PCs and they sound like jet engines ( and i thought my PC is loud!  why is that even though it uses "custom water cooling"?

Also, what GPU does the Alenware alpha use ( specifically the $900 i7 flagship and is the GPU different for each of the alpha models)

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

bad fans, bad case, bad cable management, mostly stock coolers

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

Was watching some videos of alienware PCs and they sound like jet engines ( and i thought my PC is loud!  why is that even though it uses "custom water cooling"?

Also, what GPU does the Alenware alpha use ( specifically the $900 i7 flagship and is the GPU different for each of the alpha models

Because of crappy airflow and bad fans

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

1) Was watching some videos of alienware PCs and they sound like jet engines ( and i thought my PC is loud!  why is that even though it uses "custom water cooling"?

2) Also, what GPU does the Alenware alpha use ( specifically the $900 i7 flagship and is the GPU different for each of the alpha models)

1) Shitty pumps / shitty fans / either running too fast / shitty fan mounting (no anti-vibration mounts) 

2) Check Alienware's site. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Because the fans are meh.

bad fans, bad case, bad cable management, mostly stock coolers

I tried pointing some of that stuff out on the AlienwareArena forum recently to someone in a non-trolling and non-arrogant way and I still got shit thrown at me.

No one can be rational to fanboys anymore or they'll freak out.

The only company that does good by their computers from what I have seen is Digital Storm and OriginPC, but Alienware is all about the lights and probably your components get to 99c inside of those cases due to restricted airflow and $2 fans.

bad fans, bad airflow, leading to a (usually) always-at-max fan configuration.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

every oem wants to advertise their i7 most of the buyers don't know why their pc sounds so loud 

because it sound like jet engine it powerful like jet engine, you buy yes.

how to market an alienware pc

Well my PC does have a 200m stock fan and 140mm rear stock fan with a Noctua NH-D14 ( Enthoo Pro stock fans). how much better is my cooling than an OEM PC

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Small, cheap fans that have to really ramp up to deliver good airflow.

I replaced the crappy 92mm AVC fan in my grandma's computer with the one off my Cooler Master Hyper TX3, and it's quieter.

EDIT: And I plan on getting different fans for it.

Well my PC does have a 200m stock fan and 140mm rear stock fan with a Noctua NH-D14 ( Enthoo Pro stock fans). how much better is my cooling than an OEM PC

A shit ton.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Also as for the "Custom water cooling" alienware just uses Asetek cheap units for their computers and normally they use GPU's line the 8990 by Radeon or 760ti's with their top of the line models using Titan Z's.  Which is ridiculous in itself.  $3000 video card and their top model aurora is $4000.  So, they're just bad in general and the best thing you can do is build your own.  It is fun to tinker inside of Alienware computer's though.  I've had a chance to play with an aurora and a tiny-ier one and I gotta say - I am surprised they don't set on fire which is why they're fun to play with xD  I've been directing all my friends who are too scared to build their own comps toward Digital Storm or OriginPC, though - given Dell is a nightmare and all.

So how does Dell manage to pull off desktops that are £200/£300?

they buy at wholesale prices?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

they buy at wholesale prices?

and they buy literal crap at wholesale prices.

Also as for the "Custom water cooling" alienware just uses Asetek cheap units for their computers and normally they use GPU's line the 8990 by Radeon or 760ti's with their top of the line models using Titan Z's.  Which is ridiculous in itself.  $3000 video card and their top model aurora is $4000.  So, they're just bad in general and the best thing you can do is build your own.  It is fun to tinker inside of Alienware computer's though.  I've had a chance to play with an aurora and a tiny-ier one and I gotta say - I am surprised they don't set on fire which is why they're fun to play with xD  I've been directing all my friends who are too scared to build their own comps toward Digital Storm or OriginPC, though - given Dell is a nightmare and all.

and they buy literal crap at wholesale prices.

My Dell begs to differ, then kill you both.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I tried pointing some of that stuff out on the AlienwareArena forum recently to someone in a non-trolling and non-arrogant way and I still got shit thrown at me.

No one can be rational to fanboys anymore or they'll freak out.

I am loving this guys logic

It's the same story with Alienware laptops too.  If you compare spec for spec to it's competitors it will cost you about $300 more for an Alienware. Just the look alone is worth that to me.  I can't stand the generic cheap black plastic models out there.  They feel cheap, they flex, seams seperate, they look cheap, and for that kind of money, looking and feeling cheap is NOT ok.  It's not just all about the hardware.  Would you be okay with a BMW that looks and feels like a KIA and say it's all about the hardware?  I think not.   

I Love Playing CS:GO!

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

I am loving this guys logic

The car comparison is always brought up when arguing with people who adore Alienware blindly, and it's a stupid metaphor, lol.

The OP said, later in the thread, that he used to own a small electronics shop (I think that's what he said - the guy's grammar is so poor it's not even funny) and says he built custom PC's all the time and implied that he knew what every custom PC is like and that paying a premium for Alienware over a custom build is worth it. I lol'd

My Dell begs to differ, then kill you both.

the last prebuilt i had experience with by dell was quite a few years ago they have probably improved (which is good)

The car comparison is always brought up when arguing with people who adore Alienware blindly, and it's a stupid metaphor, lol.

The OP said, later in the thread, that he used to own a small electronics shop (I think that's what he said - the guy's grammar is so poor it's not even funny) and says he built custom PC's all the time and implied that he knew what every custom PC is like and that paying a premium for Alienware over a custom build is worth it. I lol'd

haha 300 dollars is nothing man! 

I Love Playing CS:GO!

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

Alienware is total trash.

The cheapness of the hardware is hilarious.

Yo soy el hombre murciélago