Buy BenQ 144hz monitor now or wait for OLED monitor

Mina

I like to watch movies and hfr videos, edit videos/short films (not too serious about color correction,) and play competitive FPS games like CS GO.

I've had 1080p dell monitor for 5 years now, and really want to upgrade. BenQ 144hz monitors are fairly cheap, but I'm afraid that once I buy it soon after some oled gaming monitor will be released to public for reasonable price (may be no more than $1.5k.) What do you guys think, may be we won't see OLED gaming monitors for another 5 years? 

I like to watch movies and hfr videos, edit videos/short films (not too serious about color correction,) and play competitive FPS games like CS GO.

I've had 1080p dell monitor for 5 years now, and really want to upgrade. BenQ 144hz monitors are fairly cheap, but I'm afraid that once I buy it soon after some oled gaming monitor will be released to public for reasonable price (may be no more than $1.5k.) What do you guys think, may be we won't see OLED gaming monitors for another 5 years? 

You sure you wouldn't rather have in ips panel over a TN?

ps. welcome to the forum, please quote people when replying to them, as it gives them a notification.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

ps. welcome to the forum, please quote people when replying to them, as it gives them a notification.

If there are +120hz ips panels that have response time no more than 1ms, and cost around $500 I'll change my mind.

I registered to this forum just to ask this question :) but I'm sure I'll stay.

If there are +120hz ips panels that have response time no more than 1ms, and cost around $500 I'll change my mind.

I registered to this forum just to ask this question :) but I'm sure I'll stay.

no, unfortunately there are no ips 120hz monitors, otherwise everyone would have one. 

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

no, unfortunately there are no ips 120hz monitors, otherwise everyone would have one. 

What about overclocking Tempest X270OC?

What about overclocking Tempest X270OC?

possible but with only 8.3ms per pixel, and 5ms G2G reponse time means that about 2/3 of the pixel display time is it switching and being in between pixels. that's pretty intense ghosting if you ask me.

oled is caught up in trademark /patient law suits so i dont think to see any progress for awhile

Its all about those volumetric clouds

possible but with only 8.3ms per pixel, and 5ms G2G reponse time means that about 2/3 of the pixel display time is it switching and being in between pixels. that's pretty intense ghosting if you ask me.

That wouldn't be much of an upgrade for that kind of money from my current display, I'm going with latest BenQ then.

oled is caught up in trademark /patient law suits so i dont think to see any progress for awhile

May be by 2020 we'll have them :)

That wouldn't be much of an upgrade for that kind of money from my current display, I'm going with latest BenQ then.

don't get me wrong, IPS is Fantastic, most IPS monitors can be overclocked to 77 hz with EVGA pixel clock OC, and I don't find I see a difference above 80 hz.

AH-VA is a good balance between response time for overclocking and Contrast/viewing angles, with the added benifit of darker blacks than IPS or TN if I am correct, which is why high end TVs use AH-VA panels

don't get me wrong, IPS is Fantastic, most IPS monitors can be overclocked to 77 hz with EVGA pixel clock OC, and I don't find I see a difference above 80 hz.

AH-VA is a good balance between response time for overclocking and Contrast/viewing angles, with the added benifit of darker blacks than IPS or TN if I am correct, which is why high end TVs use AH-VA panels

I overclocked my 5 year old dell monitor to 75 hz and noticed a huge difference from 60, I should have said that I am huge frame rate geek. And it has response time of 5 ms which I find a bit too much. If I can save up enough money I would have went with both, but I'll go with BenQ and if OLED doesn't come out in next 5 years I'll buy an IRS. 

Go for a newer 120+ hz TN monitor. If you play CS GO then you will LOVE the smooth refresh rate. 

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

asus rog swift look it up on linus reviews

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

I love my xl2420z 144hz. But at this point I would wait for a v sync screen if I didn't already own one.

Yo soy el hombre murciélago

I think I'm gonna go for BenQ XL2430T

I think I'm gonna go for BenQ XL2430T

I think you should read the reviews of the Overlord Tempest...it has very good response time even for a TN panel...and the bigger benefit over the BenQ is the resolution...trust me....WQHD is miles and lightyears ahead of 1080p...I have a BenQ XL2420TE and a BenQ BL2710PT....the BL2710PT just blows the XL2420TE out of the water in its sheer ability to pull you into the action...the Overlord Tempest is like a gamers dream....check it out...you'll love it

Mjolnir
CPU: i7 4960X GPU: ASUS STRIX 970 CASE: Xigmatek Aquila MEM: 16GB 1866Mhz Kingston Fury Red Cool: Corsair H100i SSD: 2X intel S3700 400GB
HDD: 1TB Seagate Monitor: BenQ BL2710PT  Mouse: R.A.T 7  Keyboard: Corsair K70  Love: Rachel 

I think you should read the reviews of the Overlord Tempest...it has very good response time even for a TN panel...and the bigger benefit over the BenQ is the resolution...trust me....WQHD is miles and lightyears ahead of 1080p...I have a BenQ XL2420TE and a BenQ BL2710PT....the BL2710PT just blows the XL2420TE out of the water in its sheer ability to pull you into the action...the Overlord Tempest is like a gamers dream....check it out...you'll love it

Kind of don't like that I have to overclock it, if it could be 120 hz out of the box. And 1440p nowadays isn't too impressive too, but I bet it is much better than 1080p. I wanted BenQ just for CS GO to be honest, and in a year or so get Ocolus Rift or some other new monitor, there is just so much new stuff coming out right now, and I feel like I could wait a bit. Could you specifically tell me some of the cons for BenQ XL2420TE?

Especially when new display interfaces will come out.

and play competitive FPS games like CS GO.

144Hz monitors are good for exactly that. 1ms pixel response time means basically no motion blur, they have low input lag as well. If you're using it primarily for competitive shooters, then 1080p is fine, and that monitor will do you well

WQHD is miles and lightyears ahead of 1080p...

Again

and play competitive FPS games like CS GO.

I don't know about CS:GO specifically, but I know for quite a few competitive games they generally don't go above 1920x1200 resolution. Someone playing competitive games primarily is going to have different needs to a casual

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

Kind of don't like that I have to overclock it, if it could be 120 hz out of the box. And 1440p nowadays isn't too impressive too, but I bet it is much better than 1080p. I wanted BenQ just for CS GO to be honest, and in a year or so get Ocolus Rift or some other new monitor, there is just so much new stuff coming out right now, and I feel like I could wait a bit. Could you specifically tell me some of the cons for BenQ XL2420TE?

Well honestly to me its the resolution...The colour isn't BAD...it's actually pretty ok...one thing I hate about it though is the motion resolution...although it has a great refresh rate...it looses some motion resolution due to lower colour quality....basically things look very very slightly blocky....

And the overlord tempest is extremely easily overclockable....ive used one....its very different as the colours are great.....it feels more immersive...and trust me you'll notice the difference if you use them like i did....i basically used them in a difference of hours so I saw a huge leap...

In the end its all your choice right....I would greatly suggest the tempest....The oculus rift is great but it's only a matter of a couple of hours before the headaches start to kick in...and till then you can enjoy your time with the tempest...waiting for a year or two to enjoy is ok but why not enjoy now when you can....who knows if we even live that long...life is unpredictable...so enjoy today ;)

Mjolnir
CPU: i7 4960X GPU: ASUS STRIX 970 CASE: Xigmatek Aquila MEM: 16GB 1866Mhz Kingston Fury Red Cool: Corsair H100i SSD: 2X intel S3700 400GB
HDD: 1TB Seagate Monitor: BenQ BL2710PT  Mouse: R.A.T 7  Keyboard: Corsair K70  Love: Rachel 

Well honestly to me its the resolution...The colour isn't BAD...it's actually pretty ok...one thing I hate about it though is the motion resolution...although it has a great refresh rate...it looses some motion resolution due to lower colour quality....basically things look very very slightly blocky....

And the overlord tempest is extremely easily overclockable....ive used one....its very different as the colours are great.....it feels more immersive...and trust me you'll notice the difference if you use them like i did....i basically used them in a difference of hours so I saw a huge leap...

In the end its all your choice right....I would greatly suggest the tempest....The oculus rift is great but it's only a matter of a couple of hours before the headaches start to kick in...and till then you can enjoy your time with the tempest...waiting for a year or two to enjoy is ok but why not enjoy now when you can....who knows if we even live that long...life is unpredictable...so enjoy today ;)

I'd like the tempest too, but 6 mil sec response time... I have 5 on my 5 year old dell monitor.