Microsoft Research Shows RoomAlive

GoodBytes

Microsoft previously showed us IllumiRoom, a technology that involves using a projector and give an ambient environment around the TV, or augment in some fashion the currently playing game.

Microsoft Research is back, and this time, it shows RoomAlive concept.

RoomAlive requires no TV, but several projectors and sensors (Kinect), and turns any room, into a video game, Holodeck style.

And be able to interact with the player in the room. The projectors are self calibrated, to make the setup easier.

Source: http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-turns-your-entire-room-tv-new-roomalive-concept

This looks pretty cool I'm not gonna lie :)

Looks extremely unpractical and it doesn't even compare to something like oculus, I bet this would be several times more expensive as well. 

Even in an amusement park of sorts it would easier and possibly even cheaper to use oculus like devices.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

projectors are always weird with too much light

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Cool, but it's not like I'm going to install a set of projectors and kinects in my living room like that... So no. Maybe if you could go some place to play it like once, kind of like laser tag (you often don't have laser tag arenas and stuff like that at home, you often go somewhere to play it with friends), then I could try it out. But I wouldn't go buy something like this for myself.

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/znZqcf

The part about self calibration is cool and all, but the image quality was just not good enough and there is no depth to it (unlike for example the Oculus Rift).

I don't really see the point of this and it's too early to even think that it looks cool (in my opinion).

Great so when I tell my kid to go to their room for being bad, it's actually a good time.  :mellow:

Kinect related MS news summed up.

e3-kinect-star-wars-fail.gif

BTW love how it will "help Xbox" in the article when this is multiple kinects and projectors.  <_<

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

The part about self calibration is cool and all, but the image quality was just not good enough and there is no depth to it (unlike for example the Oculus Rift).

I don't really see the point of this and it's too early to even think that it looks cool (in my opinion).

Well image quality can be improved with 4K projectors. It's just a concept. Microsoft Research isn't about research into products that can be commercially sold now. Its just research.

Well image quality can be improved with 4K projectors. It's just a concept. Microsoft Research isn't about research into products that can be commercially sold now. Its just research.

A concept? So now MS invented using multiple cameras for motion? More like an advertising piece for the Xbox, that comes to insane conclusions in the article. This is just MS saying "kinect is not dead for gaming on Xbox One" (even though it is after they pulled it), and look what can be possibly done on the kinect you bought. The kicker is that this is multiple kinects.

So are they going to sell a Xbox with multiple kinects now? Kinect "Devices" is plural.

"but it will be interesting to potentially see parts of it integrated into the Xbox in the upcoming years. Until then, we can't wait to see what Microsoft does with it next year."  

Typical misleading BS from Redmond. This could be done on much cheaper 4-5 devices and this is nothing new. There is also no way in hell they are going to include multiple kinects in a future Xbox. They were probably laughing when they wrote this artcile, just as anyone who has worked with camera capture with multiple devices laughed when reading it. 

The future of Kinect is in medical/business/engineering. No game developer is going to target a fractured base on one platform. Add to that MS repeatedly sells a fairy tale as to what ONE Kinect can do, with ridiculous staged fabrications in their "demos" which are constantly laughed at on sites like Neogaf.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

this will never take off, ever. too many prerequisites needed and the effect is lack luster.

Warning! Do not fire this sh*t up when tripping on acid!! :mellow:

Details separate people.

As a concept...somewhat cool...however I don't find this practical enough to be interesting for most users.

I see something like 180 degree curved solution more immersive and ore affordable in the future over RoomAlive.

In weither case  think it will have to be driven by a computer in order to deliver enough graphic power you would a need a strong graphic card...or rather more than just one.

Something like this (or the sides going in more on your let and right)...

180.jpg