M2 MyDigitalSSD SC2 42mm Slooooooow not what it claims to be.

Gilseg

Heya!

So I just installed my new SSD (MyDigitalSSD Super Cache 2 42mm M.2 NGFF SATA 6G SSD). It boasts about having a Read/Write at 545/410 MB/S.

When installed it now shows that at it's best it delivers 150 mb/s write speed.

I am not a total newbie on this area, I've been using SSDs for many years but this is my first M.2 NGFF drive..

The disk is located in a newly bought Lenovo y510p.

Any tips on what might increase the write speed?

All I've done is cloned my previous version of windows to the HD. It starts like a charm now but the bootingprocess took forever. Almost 30 minutes cloning 35 gb from another SSD. Not cool.

Thanks in advance!

That brand alone raises some eyebrows for me lol

"MyDigitalSSD"? As opposed to an analog SSD?

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Heya!

So I just installed my new SSD (MyDigitalSSD Super Cache 2 42mm M.2 NGFF SATA 6G SSD). It boasts about having a Read/Write at 545/410 MB/S.

When installed it now shows that at it's best it delivers 150 mb/s write speed.

I am not a total newbie on this area, I've been using SSDs for many years but this is my first M.2 NGFF drive..

The disk is located in a newly bought Lenovo y510p.

Any tips on what might increase the write speed?

All I've done is cloned my previous version of windows to the HD. It starts like a charm now but the bootingprocess took forever. Almost 30 minutes cloning 35 gb from another SSD. Not cool.

Thanks in advance!

My thinking is that it's a Cache drive, like to speed up HDD's. Not meant to be used as an actual OS drive... 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

@Gilseg

There's a reason it's called Super Cache 2. You're not supposed to put your entire OS and boot from it, it's supposed to be used as a cache that helps out another drive. 

If you want an NGFF M.2 SSD for OS use, you should the Transcend ones instead http://www.amazon.ca/Transcend-MTS400-Solid-State-TS256GMTS400/dp/B00KLTPUG4/ref=pd_sim_ce_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0XTJ2BAPJ4X3TNANEC6B

"Rawr XD"

Yo! I'm aware about the name but I've read about a lot of other people doing what I've done.

Doesn't the read/write speed gotta add up even though it's a drive made to be cache?

that write speeds is perfectly normal for a 120GB drive..

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

Yea I'm starting to understand that now after having read pretty much every thread there is on this topic on the whole net..

BUT!

It says on the box 410 mb/s write speed. And at best I have reached 170 mb/s. And that's the speed most other peopkle reach when doing benchmarks on this card.. But how can it then say 410 mb/s on the speces for the drive? False marketing??

Yea I'm starting to understand that now after having read pretty much every thread there is on this topic on the whole net..

BUT!

It says on the box 410 mb/s write speed. And at best I have reached 170 mb/s. And that's the speed most other peopkle reach when doing benchmarks on this card.. But how can it then say 410 mb/s on the speces for the drive? False marketing??

Nope, just performance, when data is compressible.

How does the computer feel now? That is the imortant part. The high speeds can be recorded via atto. We have benchmarks for the drive on our web site as well as in most retail listings. Also a very important thing is this has 40-80x the 4k speed vs an HDD and that is where you notice the huge speed diff between SSD and HDD.

Happy Modding,

MyDigitalSSD

P.S. The name is a house brand name from MyDigitalDiscount but it kinda outgrew its beginnings:)

How does the computer feel now? That is the imortant part. The high speeds can be recorded via atto. We have benchmarks for the drive on our web site as well as in most retail listings. Also a very important thing is this has 40-80x the 4k speed vs an HDD and that is where you notice the huge speed diff between SSD and HDD.

Happy Modding,

MyDigitalSSD

P.S. The name is a house brand name from MyDigitalDiscount but it kinda outgrew its beginnings:)

Got any information, whether advertised write speed come from compression/deduplication (never knew that anyone else other than sandforce is doing this) or just the highest capacity ?

I'll look for more info on your question but we actually have benchmarks posted for each density on our web site. The Phison S9 controller is one of the only low density performers on the market. Most low density products are in the 40-70mbs write range especially 32gb and below. That is really the S9s claim to fame.

MyDigitalSSD

I'll look for more info on your question but we actually have benchmarks posted for each density on our web site. The Phison S9 controller is one of the only low density performers on the market. Most low density products are in the 40-70mbs write range especially 32gb and below. That is really the S9s claim to fame.

MyDigitalSSD

To be fair, write speeds comes down to how fast the actual flash silicon is, not so much the controller. Unless we're talking different tricks (like performance mode or compression) then controller plays a mayor role. As far as benchmarks go, this controller  does indeed use somekind of deduplication/compression tricks, because hitting 400MB/s+ on 128GB is near impossible without said tricks (or V-NAND).