Need a Pair of Portable Headphones

Arrox

So I'm a student looking to get a pair of headphones. I want something portable that I can take with me on the train and to class. I will be using them with my phone (Nexus 5) and laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga), and something that doesn't need an AMP is required. I want to spend under $200 on them. So far I've looked at Audio Technica Ath-M50X's and the Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear, and I am not sure which would be the better option. I really like the look of the Momentums, but I'm not sure that they would be immersive enough. If you know of any better options that would also be appreciated.

I was also looking at the Momentum Over-Ears, but I'm not convinced that it's worth spending that much money on a pair of headphones.

My experience with the M50's (the old ones, not the M50X) has been good, but the cable is way too long for walking around with it plugged into your phone. You have to use an entire pocket for the extra cable length. Maybe try to find something that works wireless. It will be much more convenient for you if you get something reliable.

Git Gud.

most of the headphones of this price range are targeted at casual listeners, so they could be easily driven with phones

there is no "better" in audio equipments, it all depends on personal preference

you should at least provide the genre of music you listen to before people here can give worthy suggestions

If you're in the States, the Harman Kardon NC's go for about $230 and they are great for travel, and IMO sound bettter than Momentum's, but aren't as comfortable. 

Then again, audio is such a subjective thing and if you haven't owned any high end headphones before, anything's probably going to sound good.

most of the headphones of this price range are targeted at casual listeners, so they could be easily driven with phones

there is no "better" in audio equipments, it all depends on personal preference

you should at least provide the genre of music you listen to before people here can give worthy suggestions

I like all types of music, but lately I've been listening to a lot of dubstep and rap, I also like hip hop. I hope that information helps :)

I personally own a pair of Sennheiser HD 360's. They're basically the PX360 but just barely different. I don't recall what the difference is but I own a pair, and they're amazing. Owned them for 1 year, 32 ohms, it's powered by my iPhone 3GS just fine. 

Paid $59.99

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

M40x, Custom one pros, BEATS PRO.

not the last one

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

Thought about IEMs?

I don't like IEMs as they always seem to break after a few months, even if I keep them in a case and take care of them.

Based off of nothing positive being said about the momentums, I'm gonna rule those out. The M50X looks nice, as do the Urbanite (should I be looking at the on ear or the over ear?), the Custom One Pro also looks nice, albeit a bit too expensive for my tastes.

I don't like IEMs as they always seem to break after a few months, even if I keep them in a case and take care of them.

What IEMs have you used? Most higher end ones are a lot more durable than the $30 ones you get at walmart.

What IEMs have you used? Most higher end ones are a lot more durable than the $30 ones you get at walmart.

I've had a pair of Harman Kardon AE's and Sennheiser CX 300B MK 2's, both broke quite quickly for me, but if you have any good suggestions for IEMs I would be willing to check them out.