How do our personalities manifest in or influence our code?

Nuluvius

I've been playing a game recently to try to relax from all of the stress from multiple jobs and projects. Only I came up against situation which ruined it for me... actions that I took resulted in areas of the game becoming locked down permanently for no good reason. It really upset me.

Besides loosing my entertainment it made me consider how much I dislike linearity and things that cannot be undone or changed at any point. Moreover about how as a Software Engineer I try my hardest to make the software that I create/contribute to reflect this where appropriate.

Another aspect I will often obsess over is the style of the syntax. For example, given a large multi developer project, inconsistencies in style will often cause me great mental anguish and I therefore become driven to rectify them. Worse still for me is inconsistent or improper architecture. I consider there to be much beauty to be found in the topology of well designed, eloquent code... it's soothing.

It makes me think about how we live in a universe that favours entropy yet have managed to create an environment (the digital) which stands as testament to our denial of this law but still we often engineer in an entropic manner!

What traits of yours do you think have found their way into your work?

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

I want some of what you're smoking

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

dJcJXsX.gif

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I've been playing a game recently to try to relax from all of the stress from multiple jobs and projects. Only I came up against situation which ruined it for me... actions that I took resulted in areas of the game becoming locked down permanently for no good reason. It really upset me.

Besides loosing my entertainment it made me consider how much I dislike linearity and things that cannot be undone or changed at any point. Moreover about how as a Software Engineer I try my hardest to make the software that I create/contribute to reflect this where appropriate.

Another aspect I will often obsess over is the style of the syntax. For example, given a large multi developer project, inconsistencies in style will often cause me great mental anguish and I therefore become driven to rectify them. Worse still for me is inconsistent or improper architecture. I consider there to be much beauty to be found in the topology of well designed, eloquent code... it's soothing.

It makes me think about how we live in a universe that favours entropy yet have managed to create an environment (the digital) which stands as testament to our denial of this law but still we often engineer in an entropic manner!

What traits of yours do you think have found their way into your work?

Why would you bother spending any sort of time on fixing inconsistencies in code? Your IDE should be able to do that on its own.

I Don't know much as you but i just wanted to say Fight on!! and Goodluck  :) 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

That's a very interesting topic, but I'm way to tired to discuss this sh*t right now  B)

Why would you bother spending any sort of time on fixing inconsistencies in code? Your IDE should be able to do that on its own.

What kind of magic IDE can fix ugly functions, pyramid declarations and what not? Sure, it can fix up inconsistencies in function declarations and variable naming etc., but there's no way it'd be able to just "fix the code" in all situations. If that was the case, then why'd we need programmers?  :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Linus

What kind of magic IDE can fix ugly functions, pyramid declarations and what not? Sure, it can fix up inconsistencies in function declarations and variable naming etc., but there's no way it'd be able to just "fix the code" in all situations. If that was the case, then why'd we need programmers?  :rolleyes:

I assumed he worked with people that are not complete morons.

Obviously a IDE isnt going to rewrite the code.

I do this as well. Proper style and organization is just as important as functional and concise code. I love helping people and working with others but I don't understand how some people can write spaghetti and feel accomplished.

This notion is incredibly damaging. If you can't program without an IDE fixing your mistakes then you can't actually program. That's not to say that using an IDE is inherently bad but if you can't produce the same quality of work in a normal text editor then you've failed yourself.

"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn

I like efficiency. My code is almost always efficient. All the code I write for work has to be efficient anyway, so I'm good.

I also have a problem with syntax. If two people with different tastes of syntax and such a drive to rectify each other worked on the same code, it would be chaos. :P

I don't go out of my way to rectify other people's syntax (unless it's beyond acceptable), but I do cringe a little when I see syntax I don't like.

Want to solve problems? Check this out.