update 7-8 pro

Ceri-PhotoART

hey guys im runnning windows 7 and have seen this cheap and legit upgrade http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Windows-8-1-Pro-Upgrade-for-One-PC-/121450183281?pt=UK_Computing_Software_Software_SR&hash=item1c46feba71

if i install it obviously I will back up first but will everything (data and applications) stay the same? folders be formatted the same and not corrupted in the exchange?

anything else i should consider?

Photographer | Designer

Rig Case: Phanteks Entho Evolv ATX MOBO: Asus X99-S RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB CPU I7 5920k OC to 4.5ghz Cooler: H110GTX GPU: MSI R9 280 OC to 1100MHZ
PSU: corsair RM850 Storage 1x WD 1TB 3x Sandisk Ultra 128gb

hey guys im runnning windows 7 and have seen this cheap and legit upgrade http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Windows-8-1-Pro-Upgrade-for-One-PC-/121450183281?pt=UK_Computing_Software_Software_SR&hash=item1c46feba71

if i install it obviously I will back up first but will everything (data and applications) stay the same? folders be formatted the same and not corrupted in the exchange?

anything else i should consider?

Update from 7 to 8 worked perfectly fine for me. I did it on a laptop so some OEM drivers and software broke and required reinstalling, but nothing major

"Rawr XD"

Yes, everything will stay the same. However, a clean install is usually better.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Yes, everything will stay the same. However, a clean install is usually better.

how can i remove windows 7 after upgrading then ? :)

Photographer | Designer

Rig Case: Phanteks Entho Evolv ATX MOBO: Asus X99-S RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB CPU I7 5920k OC to 4.5ghz Cooler: H110GTX GPU: MSI R9 280 OC to 1100MHZ
PSU: corsair RM850 Storage 1x WD 1TB 3x Sandisk Ultra 128gb

I'm debating the legit part of it, but okay

When prompted, just choose the "upgrade" option and all of your files (including programs and everything under "Users") will be saved to a folder in C called "Windows.old" then, you are good to go.

A clean install is faster; you can do this by when prompted in the installation process, chose "custom" and then format your hard drive completely. Obviously, this will require you to back up your stuff, and the other one does not require back up of files.

Compatible with Windows 95

It removes it for you. Hard to explain without you actually doing it. When you insert the disk it prompts you for the upgrade. You hit yes and it works from there.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

It will be removed anyway. Let me explains the 2 different ways to upgrade Windows.

1) In-Place install (upgrade) - sets all your files, programs and settings aside, writes the new version, and tries to transfer your files, programs and settings. Pros: Everything will be kept (in most cases), Cons: some programs might break, some devices may not work.

2) Clean install (custom) - removes everything, and installs Windows. Pros: a clean version, so everything should work. Cons: you lose everything.

In most cases, an in-place install will be fine. However, a clean install is better. There is a Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant, which you should run before upgrading. If the result looks good, do an in-place install. If something's incompatible, post the result here (I think it creates a HTML file of the result), post it here and we will check it for you.

It removes it for you. Hard to explain without you actually doing it. When you insert the disk it prompts you for the upgrade. You hit yes and it works from there.

There is no disc.... Only an .exe....

There is no disc.... Only an .exe....

Does the same thing. It will prompt him with the same thing. 

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Does the same thing. It will prompt him with the same thing.

It won't prompt him anything, unless he creates a disc and uses that instead.