Star Citizen HUD design

Maciek

Greets everybody,

The latest issue of the monthly report (that can be found here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14191-Monthly-Report-September-2014) shows the redesigned hud of the Aurora. This post made me think back about the whole HUD design concept in SC and how terrible it is at this point. I haven't thought about this much before but now I realise how much potential is wasted here. There are those super high detailed cockpits that later get completely dark as we play and all the instruments are dead with all the information displayed as holograms. For my taste it goes against immersion and makes all the ships look the same.

Another thing is the usability of the HUD. For now if you're on HOTAS you can forget using the management system and other goodies. It's so difficult that you die 10 times before you switch something.

That's why I'm opening this topic. Do you guys have and any ideas or concept how it all should be done? Maybe we can collect ideas here and then submit a bigger - well edited thread to RSI? When I have a little more time today evening I'll try to put together a list of ideas that I have.

What do you think? Maybe the HUD is OK as it is?

Peace,

post-70567-0-67989400-1412406149.jpg

It's possible that the HUD will be more accessible to HOTAS users when more control customization options appear, but I sincerely doubt it. I would suspect that, if you're using HOTAS, you will have to rely on (what is currently) third party systems like Voice Attack (I think that's what it's called) to make good use of the HUD.

As far as the changes to the Aurora HUD, that may or may not happen, if they black out the windows, that would severely impact my enjoyment and immersion into the game, but it could be practical if they covered it with armor plates so I stop getting (essentially) one shot by hornets (or anything using kinetic weapons) when they turn around to face me.

I really can't say if there are better options for the HUD. I have enjoyed it so far since it shows me which areas of my ship are damaged and how far away I am from overheating my guns, but it could certainly be better. I'm mostly just interested to see where they take it in the next two years or so.

This issue has been addressed before by CIG. HUD design is an ongoing development process and they are working on it. The idea is that every ship will get its own layout and it will all be customisable in the future.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

This issue has been addressed before by CIG. HUD design is an ongoing development process and they are working on it. The idea is that every ship will get its own layout and it will all be customisable in the future.

Hopefully. For now it's more cool looking than functional. One thing that I think will not happen is a better use of the cockpit design itself. There are all those screens and buttons and status lights but they don't do anything in-game. This is something that's not going to change I'm afraid. What I love about games like DSC or Flacon BMS is that cockpit design means everything. Every element s there for a reason.

Yea at this point I think they are mainly trying to get core functionality in there before they start really customizing each ships HUD, IMO its not a bad start but needs a lot of refinement/variance ship-to-ship. I do remember at some point in an interview/TFTC/WMH/something Chris saying all the displays in the ships would be showing something and reacting to what's going on but not all of them will necessarily be interactive.

P.S. I was so disappointed when I jumped in the game to find the old Aurora HUD still there :( lol

A Clean HUD like in the picture above would be nice, and i agree, there are alot of stuff in the ships, but im sure they will somehow make it useful.
What if we the player mostly interact with a display like in ED, but the character will touch this or that while we go trough the screens. i would be cool with that.

Honestly, i don't want a A10 Warthog experience in Star Citizen. thats abit too much.

Honestly, i don't want a A10 Warthog experience in Star Citizen. thats abit too much.

It's true that a DCS level interaction might be a little too much in this case. It's not that I want a full realism, but I'd like something that feels believable and intuitive to use. The current design seems very SciFi generic and not meant for actual military use. We'll see how it goes. I'm happy to see that they are at least working on this and trying to make it better.

For me that kind of stuff (like HUDs, flight model etc.) is 10 billion times more important than having a trillion polygon ship models and other fancy stuff.  I'm getting a little worried if they'll get the basics right before going into details and less meaningful pieces of the game..

It's true that a DCS level interaction might be a little too much in this case. It's not that I want a full realism, but I'd like something that feels believable and intuitive to use. The current design seems very SciFi generic and not meant for actual military use. We'll see how it goes. I'm happy to see that they are at least working on this and trying to make it better.

For me that kind of stuff (like HUDs, flight model etc.) is 10 billion times more important than having a trillion polygon ship models and other fancy stuff. I'm getting a little worried if they'll get the basics right before going into details and less meaningful pieces of the game..

I would worry, the game is going to be open to modders and games like that are usually easier to add additional content, my only issue is if your forced to push the buttons to operate.

The fact that using the mouse is an immersion break and having to remember to prime your engines would drive me nuts! I'm happy with an animation playing to do all that along with the bleep boop beep sounds, whirls from the engine, air sucked into the engine intake causing the slip stream effect and then BOOM! engine starts.

-Chills from starting the engine-

Hopefully they'll add both.

I would worry, the game is going to be open to modders and games like that are usually easier to add additional content, my only issue is if your forced to push the buttons to operate.

The fact that using the mouse is an immersion break and having to remember to prime your engines would drive me nuts! I'm happy with an animation playing to do all that along with the bleep boop beep sounds, whirls from the engine, air sucked into the engine intake causing the slip stream effect and then BOOM! engine starts.

-Chills from starting the engine-

Hopefully they'll add both.

I remember this discussion from a while ago. People make some valid points here.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/19590/

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

I remember this discussion from a while ago. People make some valid points here.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/19590/

Yep I'm all for it as long as it doesn't stop some of us who don't want it, a choice in the options menu would be good.

It would as be cool if the military had a hard wired dash and the civvies just had a push to start button :LOL:

I wonder if I could turn a soundboard into a panel for controls. All those sliders could be absolutely wonderful for shield and power management.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

that would be amusing, but this is the future, use a Tablet! its all about them touch screens !

I would rather the physical feedback. And with it I could just get it bound in as a macro. I feel like a touchscreen would need some software support from CI

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

I would rather the physical feedback. And with it I could just get it bound in as a macro. I feel like a touchscreen would need some software support from CI

Possibly but maybe not, I am thinking a sort of virtual keyboard type slider thing could probably be mapped as a regular control, dunno if there are any available... they might just need to add the customisation to the game to allow something like that to be added as an input. ok that doesn't make much sense but its in my head now dammit!

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

I wonder if I could turn a soundboard into a panel for controls. All those sliders could be absolutely wonderful for shield and power management.

Google build your own foot pedals for PC or something, I know there are guides of how to do that and the concept is the same, its possible but you may have to look at completely rewiring the board yourself

• 2 weeks later...

The current design seems very SciFi generic and not meant for actual military use. We'll see how it goes. I'm happy to see that they are at least working on this and trying to make it better.

For me that kind of stuff (like HUDs, flight model etc.) is 10 billion times more important than having a trillion polygon ship models and other fancy stuff.

I prefer the real life space shuttle cockpit to the futuristic star citizen look, feels more real and less slick/fake. It would be cool if there were some ships reflecting a different art style.

650300main_powerdown-buddy.jpg