New build - Shutdown/burned smell but powers up again

Admire

Was putting my cousins new build together today. It powered up, told me that no keyboard and mouse was installed which is correct. Suddenly a loud snap like sound, almost like a very small firecracker, and a smell of something burned. I assumed that I had a burned MB or damaged PSU..Shut off all power, disassembled everything and put it outside the case. Took the custom CPU cooler off and mounted the stock intel cooler. Connected it outside the case to the PSU and it started up. I shut it down as soon as I was certain that it started up since i didn't know the problem

Didn't have a screen connected the second time around, but everything on the MB started up and the CPU cooler was running.

Anybody have an idea?

Build:

Asus z97 Maximus Hero

Intel I7 4970k

Corsair AX860 PSU.

Some hyperX ram but that doesn't really matter.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Was putting my cousins new build together today. It powered up, told me that no keyboard and mouse was installed which is correct. Suddenly a loud snap like sound, almost like a very small firecracker, and a smell of something burned. I assumed that I had a burned MB or damaged PSU..Shut off all power, disassembled everything and put it outside the case. Took the custom CPU cooler off and mounted the stock intel cooler. Connected it outside the case to the PSU and it started up. I shut it down as soon as I was certain that it started up since i didn't know the problem

Didn't have a screen connected the second time around, but everything on the MB started up and the CPU cooler was running.

Anybody have an idea?

Build:

Asus z97 Maximus Hero

Intel I7 4970k

Corsair AX860 PSU.

Some hyperX ram but that doesn't really matter.

PSU is most likely dead.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

PSU is most likely dead.

But it powered up everything afterwards?

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

But it powered up everything afterwards?

didn't read that part. You should check the fuse in the plug though. Either that or the MB or GPU has crapped out. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

didn't read that part. You should check the fuse in the plug though. Either that or the MB or GPU has crapped out. 

Thats the weird part. There isn't a GPU, just using onboard and the MB started up afterwards. Didn't let it stay on for long but it did start and i let it run 10-20 seconds and nothing happened.

Motherboard standoffs installed and in the correct location?

Check the motherboard and PSU for blown caps. Those are about the only things I know of that produce a loud pop noise with it typically being PSU related. Since you dont have a GPU installed it may run fine since the load isnt that high.

Motherboard standoffs installed and in the correct location?

Check the motherboard and PSU for blown caps. Those are about the only things I know of that produce a loud pop noise with it typically being PSU related. Since you dont have a GPU installed it may run fine since the load isnt that high.

Thats what really weird. There is nothing on the motherboard. Will visit him tomorrow and try to find out but motherboards seems fine. No blown caps, nothing. Motherboards boots up.

Standoffs was installed and in correct position. it took about 40-45 seconds before this happened so can't really be a short. Maybe the cpu cooler wasn't installed correctly...he did that by himself.

Make sure you visually inspect all the motherboard capacitors and caps. If you heard a firecracker sound... something blew...Most of the time its in the PSU, if you have an old board that you dont care about and stuff, you can toss the PSU on it and see if the smell is originating from that. You can also use the CPU cooler as well on that board to see if it is powering on etc...

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I had the same problem with my old mb. It happened last summer , was hot as he'll. I assume I touched the back of the mb with my sweaty hands while installing it. When I tried to power up I heard the same thing as you did and smoke came out. But mb still works.

I had the same problem with my old mb. It happened last summer , was hot as he'll. I assume I touched the back of the mb with my sweaty hands while installing it. When I tried to power up I heard the same thing as you did and smoke came out. But mb still works.

How long did it run before it happened? Because the motherboard started rebooting as once afterwards and worked afterwards.

How long did it run before it happened? Because the motherboard started rebooting as once afterwards and worked afterwards.

I tried to power up the pc , to see if everything works , smoke came out and system rebooted. I thought I fried the mb but it still works just fine in my second rig.