EU Commissioner Calls Nude Celebs 'Dumb' Over Taking Pictures (BBC)

Yes but if it's anyones' fault it's theirs. Let me reiterate that I agree with you but I'd much rather see a corporation get blamed than innocent people who have done nothing wrong.

But then you would be blaming apple for doing nothing wrong

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

I have to say I like you but the victim blaming makes me question your integrity... If a banker took nude photos out of your safe deposit box and publicized them would you blame the victim too?

First off its not victim blaming but if you can't use a fire stick properly and get burned you (the non-smart web/cell-phone/fire-stick user) can't blame people saying you should learn how to use a fire stick before using one can you? Or do we let people who have no idea what a fire stick does run around by gas stations or anything majorly flammable?

Analogy is a bit off, the banker would be taking your money without your knowledge and this is why you only use trusted banks and not the random guy on the street corner to hold your money. If all bankers were to pinch your account from time to time you'd never use a bank again, would you? So if there is a way for people to access your private cloud data, which there is you're not as smart as you think you are. It does not matter which cloud service you use its in the cloud and you have no way of knowing how that data you may have up on the cloud is being stored/used/sold. The legal print only makes you feel safe but once the data is out there is no way to bring it back if it is compromised in any way, legal or illegal, sure you can sue but you can't sue to have the data removed or brought back from people's eyes who have seen it.

In closing, we can't agree on everything on the planet and a varied view is what makes conversation great, all agreeing makes for a boring discussion.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

But then you would be blaming apple for doing nothing wrong

They're the ones with no brute force protection and the ones who lost control of the accounts in the first place.

In closing, we can't agree on everything on the planet and a varied view is what makes conversation great, all agreeing makes for a boring discussion.

It is victim blaming though. They didn't have any control over this and it's not even clear they intended for the photos to be in the cloud. All agreeing does not make for a boring discussion, because it's indeed impossible for anyone to agree completely with anyone else. You can absolutely still have interesting discussions though. Look at far-left political forums if you want to see what I mean.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

It is victim blaming though. They didn't have any control over this and it's not even clear they intended for the photos to be in the cloud. All agreeing does not make for a boring discussion, because it's indeed impossible for anyone to agree completely with anyone else. You can absolutely still have interesting discussions though. Look at far-left political forums if you want to see what I mean.

Isn't saying they have no control over it equivalent to saying they're dumb? They used their fingers to push the buttons to get it up on the cloud so its all on them, the only way they'd be out of it would be if someone did it for them without their knowledge, in which case it wouldn't be theirs "technically".

Isn't saying they have no control over it equivalent to saying they're dumb? They used their fingers to push the buttons to get it up on the cloud so its all on them, the only way they'd be out of it would be if someone did it for them without their knowledge, in which case it wouldn't be theirs "technically".

Well that's the thing though. I'm pretty sure this happened because of iCloud Photo Backup which is indeed automatic.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Tbh it's easier for someone to break into your house.  Unless you live in a vault, your deadbolt isn't going to stop anyone who wants to get into your house.  That it's on the "internet" is a pretty flimsy line of reasoning imo.

There's really no such thing as a "Private server"

If it's connected to the internet, people can access it, and therefore hack it, theoretically.

And that the law was broken is irrelevant, and the fact that apple really isnt being blamed is because apple really isnt to blame.

If my memory serves these "Hackers" just used a program to spam the login with a load of random passwords until one was correct, so technically, they're not really hackers at all.

tl;dr its nobodies fault but the celebrities shouldn't be surprised

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

It's a problem of perception and education of the internet users - to call them "dumb" is the same as you call a kid who doesn't know something about a certain subject "dumb" in school. Yet that kid is considered as a special case and efforts are made to try to improve it's situation - he is not labled dumb and you leave him be.

The Internet "ignorance" is a huge issue that's not being addressed by anyone. Everyone, no matter how low educated they are in this subject (from a hobo, to a CEO), get to access the Internet at low costs and high speeds - this is both a wonderful and dreadful.

Tbh it's easier for someone to break into your house.  Unless you live in a vault, your deadbolt isn't going to stop anyone who wants to get into your house.  That it's on the "internet" is a pretty flimsy line of reasoning imo.

Why is it easier to break into a house? Because we know houses, we live in them, we how people break into them (movies, news, and all kinds of media). If you grabbed someone who lived his all of his life in the woods and you somehow managed to take him to a city and tell him to get inside a house without being noticed: it wouldn't be easy, probably because he doesn't even know how to open a door, so he might just use "brute force" (lol) and he will be noticed and you can call the cops. On the other end you have the pros who get in and out and you don't notice them.

For someone who knows his way around the hacking scene, who's life is around servers and networks, alot of these "hacks" are pretty basic and easy for them. The ones who don't know what they are doing probably can't even start, others do it being untraced.

Easier? Its also easier to take matters into your own hands if someone attempts to break in to your house and just because they get in does not mean they will get out. Where as in the Cloud you don't have the same ... how should I put it, availability? There's a big difference between physical and virtual.

Since kids started calling "hacking" changing someone's profile picture on Facebook society has taken the word too lightly now. Getting those pictures was a crime. If I broke into your online bank account and took your money it's theft. If I broke into your home and took something from it it's theft. If I broke into your online backup and took something from it it's theft.

Some of them might not even know their files were being backed up online.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Even before the internet and cloud storage, taking naked pictures and keeping prints is asking for it to be stolen and leaked. It's up to the individual to take precautions, or not take nudes at all. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

On one hand, having anything sensitive on devices, connected to the internet, or god forbid, to the cloud, is always a security risk.

On the other hand, what should smartphones be used for then? Texting and calling only?!

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

"Your email account got hacked, and all your messages were posted online. It's your fault for not using a better password. Your World of Warcraft account got hijacked, and someone stole all your gold. It's your fault for playing video games. Your credit-card data was stolen. It's your fault for having a credit card."

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/nude-selfies-advice,news-19424.html

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

You know what, I'm sorry but they are absolutely stupid for taking those photos, even my sister agrees. She's admitted to me that she sent similar photos to her now ex husband, but she was smart enough to make sure those photos did not include her face, and she's 31, and definitely not apart of "the internet generation" like we are.

Everyone should know by now, especially such young people as these women. Once something is on a device connected to the internet, it is not secure, and NOTHING can be removed 100% from the internet.

The only one I really have any respect for is the girl that plays penny on BBT, her photo's were racy, but not outright whorish like the rest that I saw. She at least had the self respect and intelligence to simply take a "racy" photo, instead of a trashy one.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Now granted I don't know the full extend of all celebs leaked, nor do I agree that they're dumb just for taking nude pics but with that out of the way....Yeah his statement is fucking accurate.

-------

Current Rig

-------

But it's not a public database and what the hackers did was illegal. They broke the law. There's simply no reason to expect your data stored in a private server to be compromised. Honestly I'd rather have everyone here blaming Apple for it than the women effected by this because that would be more fair.

Actually there kinda is reason to expect that it could be stolen, it's why we have switched to banking and now electronic currency because you can expect some form of robbery during your lifetime almost for sure. 

I mean I get your point, there's a difference between getting something stolen from a safebox company than leaving your front door in your house wide fucking open but still there's always a chance things will get compromised no matter what measures are taken.

-------

Current Rig

-------

fuck political correctness.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Actually there kinda is reason to expect that it could be stolen, it's why we have switched to banking and now electronic currency because you can expect some form of robbery during your lifetime almost for sure. 

I mean I get your point, there's a difference between getting something stolen from a safebox company than leaving your front door in your house wide fucking open but still there's always a chance things will get compromised no matter what measures are taken.

Well yes you can expect it at some point but what are you going to do? Choices like these are made by weighing risks. The celebs either thought it was low enough risk, (it should be) or they didn't know at all.

There's an enormous difference between this and say putting all your files on Mega and sharing them and then saying OOPS I DIDN'T THINK THEY'D GET OUT and having them backed up to what in theory should be a private account on a server. 

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

There's really no such thing as a "Private server"

If it's connected to the internet, people can access it, and therefore hack it, theoretically.

And that the law was broken is irrelevant, and the fact that apple really isnt being blamed is because apple really isnt to blame.

If my memory serves these "Hackers" just used a program to spam the login with a load of random passwords until one was correct, so technically, they're not really hackers at all.

tl;dr its nobodies fault but the celebrities shouldn't be surprised

Internet connection != security breach. It all depends on your frontend.

They obtained the photoes by simple social engineering.

Bruteforcing is very unlikeable for the amount of victims.

The 'hackers' did break the law.

I will blame 3 parties:

1) The celeb to trust a service for these things.

2) Apples lack of extra security features

3) The generel security-structure that we currently have.

An example of this would be the security questions. Why fixed question? Most of the answers to these questions can be obtained through research.

Well yes you can expect it at some point but what are you going to do? Choices like these are made by weighing risks. The celebs either thought it was low enough risk, (it should be) or they didn't know at all.

There's an enormous difference between this and say putting all your files on Mega and sharing them and then saying OOPS I DIDN'T THINK THEY'D GET OUT and having them backed up to what in theory should be a private account on a server. 

That's fair enough, but even if we concede all that shouldn't the defendant be Apple and not Google?

-------

Current Rig

-------

That's fair enough, but even if we concede all that shouldn't the defendant be Apple and not Google?

Yes. I don't know why they sued Google.

Really I don't think anyone should be sued over this. It's pretty tough to stamp out social engineering-based attacks from a company's point of view and being in the public eye means everything that happens to you is 1000x more important than it should be.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Even DUMBER for suing Google. Where do these morons pop out of nowhere?

Not even upload , Taking them at all could compromise your privacy , especially if you don't have additional anti-malware protaction

Exactly, the moment you make something digital, it will be there forever.