Choosing between HD 600s or 650s

Octavialicious

Go to solution Solved by NannerBeans,

Thanks! The E10K looks perfect. It just plugs into my computer via USB right?

Yeah

Hey, I am trying to decide between the two. I hear the 650s are a tad warmer right? But anyways, could someone possibly link me to a good video about how they compare? And on a side note, do these "really" need an amp? I get they would be better with one, but would this http://www.siig.com/it-products/multimedia/sound/usb/usb-soundwave-7-1-pro.html do fine until I can afford a better one? Thanks!

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

HD600s are considered to be pretty neutral and the HD650s have more of a "mainstream" sound signature. It really ends up depending on what kind of music to you listen to; there is really no video that can make you understand how a headphone sounds so you'll just have to listen to them. And yes, you would have a much better time with them if you had a decent amp. I would recommend just running them out of your desktop as that audio adapter looks like it'll play with how the headphones sound too much (in a negative way).

My compooter: http://imgur.com/a/mDFsx?

HD600s are considered to be pretty neutral and the HD650s have more of a "mainstream" sound signature. It really ends up depending on what kind of music to you listen to; there is really no video that can make you understand how a headphone sounds so you'll just have to listen to them. And yes, you would have a much better time with them if you had a decent amp. I would recommend just running them out of your desktop as that audio adapter looks like it'll play with how the headphones sound too much (in a negative way).

Any decent usb dac/amps that aren't super pricey?

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

A price range would be lovely :)

50-75 :3?

I would honestly just wait and save that for when you can get something better. A Schist Magni is about $120 after shipping and tax so you aren't too far away from that. I've run my HD650s out of my phone and it isn't the worst thing ever, but you'll still want an amp once you can afford it.

My compooter: http://imgur.com/a/mDFsx?

Fiio E10K is near the upper range of that. The Monoprice dac/amp might be worth the extra $25 or so though if you can afford it. Don't bother with Schiit products. 

Care to explain why?

They're a terrible company that tried to cover up an amp that was killing headphones a while back and their amps are nothing special in the first place. They pretty much sound the same as the Monoprice one but they cost more and they're ugly. 

Fiio E10K is near the upper range of that. The Monoprice dac/amp might be worth the extra $25 or so though if you can afford it. Don't bother with Schiit products.

Thanks! The E10K looks perfect. It just plugs into my computer via USB right?

Yeah

Sweet, thanks for the help!

All it is is that the HD650 has a bit more bass and a bit less treble. That's basically it. It's not even a world of difference.

They might or might not need a seperate amp and dac, it's up to various things.... like if you listen to quiet audiophile jazz or something. Also, they are both open... Keep that in mind.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fanboy (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

All it is is that the HD650 has a bit more bass and a bit less treble. That's basically it. It's not even a world of difference.

They might or might not need a seperate amp and dac, it's up to various things.... like if you listen to quiet audiophile jazz or something. Also, they are both open... Keep that in mind.

Ty! Since too much treble hurts my ears, I will go with the 650.

I use a Syba DAC with my 650's, which is cheaper than the E10k.

I've seen the one you're talking about, is the bass good?

By the way, the 650s are considered relatively dark right?

They're a terrible company that tried to cover up an amp that was killing headphones a while back and their amps are nothing special in the first place. They pretty much sound the same as the Monoprice one but they cost more and they're ugly. 

They goofed up in how they tried to cover it, but I just bought a Lyr the other day that doesn't have a relay, I asked them if they could put one in it and they said they'd do it for free I just needed to pay shipping.

They were also more than helpful in explaining how to see if it had a relay and a few other questions I asked, as well as responding to my emails in ~30-60 mins everytime.

I'd like to think they've learned from their mistake seeing as how nice + helpful they were to me.

I do agree with you, the way they handled it was ridiculous and unprofessional

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

They goofed up in how they tried to cover it, but I just bought a Lyr the other day that doesn't have a relay, I asked them if they could put one in it and they said they'd do it for free I just needed to pay shipping.

They were also more than helpful in explaining how to see if it had a relay and a few other questions I asked, as well as responding to my emails in ~30-60 mins everytime.

I'd like to think they've learned from their mistake seeing as how nice + helpful they were to me.

I mean perhaps their company has changed but their products still make no sense to me. Why would I get a modi and magni when they're ugly and I can get an o2 combo for about $40-60 more? But I'm also not a huge fan of spending over $100 on a dac/amp either. I can't hear any difference between my previous o2 and the Monoprice one so why pay more?

I mean perhaps their company has changed but their products still make no sense to me. Why would I get a modi and magni when they're ugly and I can get an o2 combo for about $40-60 more? But I'm also not a huge fan of spending over $100 on a dac/amp either. I can't hear any difference between my previous o2 and the Monoprice one so why pay more?

I like the way their products look more than the o2+odac, I like that simple yet elegant look that they have.  I only bought a Lyr bc in my eyes it's more aesthetically pleasing than the o2+odac and for me it has more features. I like the idea that I can change tubes to slightly change the sound, it's interesting IMO,  I also like the fact that it's way bigger than the o2+odac, just personal preference mostly.   

I got it for $285 so I'm not worried about the cost that much since it's more useful to me in my eyes than my o2+odac was.

If I was strapped for cash I wouldn't of gotten it, as the o2+odac was perfectly fine, it's just personal preference for buying it that's basically it.

I mean cmon, it's so sxc :3bL9oi.JPG

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Ehhhh. I wouldn't quite call it dark yet. I would call it... a bit more laid back than the HD600s (Which sounds like a placebofile buzzword but still). It's not quite so bass emphasized to call it dark, I think.

I do agree with you, the way they handled it was ridiculous and unprofessional

I like the way their products look more than the o2+odac, I like that simple yet elegant look that they have.  I only bought a Lyr bc in my eyes it's more aesthetically pleasing than the o2+odac and for me it has more features. I like the idea that I can change tubes to slightly change the sound, it's interesting IMO,  I also like the fact that it's way bigger than the o2+odac, just personal preference mostly.   

I got it for $285 so I'm not worried about the cost that much since it's more useful to me in my eyes than my o2+odac was.

I still prefer the Objective because it gives all the accurate sound a human ever needs and I can EQ if I so choose (EQ does linear distortion which is more musically pleasing).

I don't think the Modi and Magni looks ugly though. I think they look OK to decent.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fanboy (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Ehhhh. I wouldn't quite call it dark yet. I would call it... a bit more laid back than the HD600s (Which sounds like a placebofile buzzword but still). It's not quite so bass emphasized to call it dark, I think.

I still prefer the Objective because it gives all the accurate sound a human ever needs and I can EQ if I so choose (EQ does linear distortion which is more musically pleasing).

I don't think the Modi and Magni looks ugly though. I think they look OK to decent.

I feel like "hardware EQ" would be much better than any software eq though.

I've seen the one you're talking about, is the bass good?

What do you mean? </ leading question :rolleyes: >

It is the darkest open headphone other than orthodynamics, though the only one similarly priced is the HE-400 which has a nasty drop in the upper mids/lower treble (where vocals generally are).

f946f7b5c0.png

83c9a6fd42.png

I feel like "hardware EQ" would be much better than any software eq though.

That sounds totally backwards. Tube amp is old technology. It's like sticking with Vinyl to EQ in the cracks and pops because you like cracks and pops in your music. Very few people build EQs to purposefully add that into the music but they exist. A big problem is versatility. You may like syrup on your pancakes, but do you also want it on your broccoli, soup, and bread? One big problem with using amps to color the sound is that they are not adjustable to the needs of the situation at hand. They are a fixed-adjusted prepackaged solution in a world that often cries out for and can easily receive well-tuned custom solutions. You can tune what each song sounds like with a custom EQ setting per track.

I just find it ironic that people buy expensive headphones for accuracy and then remove that accuracy via tube amps. They don't just alter how loud some frequencies are played, they straight up add signals in there that weren't there. (Which AFAIK can be added via other software plugins designed specifically to "tube-i-fy" your sound... If you're really after that and not just a normal EQ). 

Another example is the higher output impedance of many tube amps... Nwavguy worked hard to make sure the output impedance of the O2 is as low as possible to minimize distortion. Those distortions include more poorly controlled "boomy" bass or possibly rolled off bass. Although, I figure getting an amp with high output impedance shouldn't be too hard.  (I'm imagining an O2 that is built with more output impedance on purpose.)  And that higher output impedance screws with the amp's ability to power the headphones, so now you need more power than you would with a solid state amp. Those high output power stats might look nice until you realize the lower the impedance of your headphones, the harder time your amp will have powering them 

Tube amps are very power inefficient, some have a warm-up period, the tubes have to be replaced (and their peak performance wears out before they blow out), they take up more physical space, and they also flat out cost more.

I think it just makes much more sense to get an accurate headphone with accurate sound files, accurate amp, accurate DAC to get accurate sound which is what fidelity is all about. That gives me the flexibility to EQ or add other distortions when I see fit when I feel like it. Although, fine. If you (or anybody else) still want tube amps despite everything I've said, it's your money. The only time I actually get pissed is when tube amp fans tell me that their amp is more accurate, because that's actual denial of reality and a non-subjective talking point whereas the rest you can just attribute it to personal preference. (Yes, yes you can talk about how you like to tweak tubes for fun, etc.)

It's like sticking with Vinyl to EQ in the cracks and pops because you like cracks and pops in your music.

That's exactly what some people do though.