Be worried about ebola? (Truth?)

SirNumbers

And I just heard the hospital housing the ebola patient mistakenly RELEASED HIM.

Yeah, but don't worry. They had really good reasons.

See, while he did tell them that he had been to west africa which would mean that he automatically qualifies as a suspected ebola patient, and while he did complain about fever which is a sympton, he did ofcourse complain about abdominal pain which isn't a sympton....See!? Nothing to see here.

/Sarcasm

But no...Im not worried about myself. Im very, very worried about the people in west Africa.:-(

Please, people. Ebola is just a virus and not a particularly virulent one. The reason why it's spreading through Liberia is due to the lack of basic sanitation and medical infrastructure. Nigeria managed to contain the spread and that's hardly a rich country with top of the line hospitals. This is not a dooms day scenario....

...Unless it mutates and spreads through air with long incubation periods.... RUN!!!

You just had to fuck with the paranoid ones huh;-)

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Taking a civilized society and putting them in a doomsday situation is incredibly hard. 

Organization and money will always come into circulation. The financial system of the world itself is immune to collapse thanks to powers that control them. 

Yeah, no system is immune to collapse, hate to burst your bubble. All it takes is a complete loss of one of the 3 necessities of modern life

Food

Water

Power.

#firstworldproblems

Is there a vaccine for ebola? Nope.

Knock out the guarantee to any one of those three, and you have complete and total anarchy. At least in the #firstworld lol. Even if only temporary, look at what happened during Katrina.

Yeah, but don't worry. They had really good reasons.

See, while he did tell them that he had been to west africa which would mean that he automatically qualifies as a suspected ebola patient, and while he did complain about fever which is a sympton, he did ofcourse complain about abdominal pain which isn't a sympton....See!? Nothing to see here.

/Sarcasm

But no...Im not worried about myself. Im very, very worried about the people in west Africa.:-(

You just had to fuck with the paranoid ones huh;-)

Lol I take that as a pun about me, albeit a friendly one. One mans paranoia is another mans prudent planning.

We take civilization completley for granted. Think about it, what would you do, if the power suddenly went off, and never came back on? How long would you wait before giving up hope that it would come back? Until the food ran out? the water? what would it take for you to realize that the world as we now know it, was gone, at least for the foreseeable future? Do you have a plan? do you have the knowledge to survive, with nothing but your bare hands and what you have on hand to put in those hands?

I know I do. I'm prepared, not as well as I would like to be because of finances, but I think I'd have a better shot than most since I'm not in a large population center, and I've got a bag full of gear that would give me a decent shot.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Yeah, no system is immune to collapse, hate to burst your bubble. All it takes is a complete loss of one of the 3 necessities of modern life

Food

Water

Power.

I don't live in a bubble. I live in a mysteriously vast world with many things to experience. 

Good luck taking food, power and water away from everyone. That's quite a hard feat to accomplish now-a-days.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Food

Water

Power.

Shouldn't it be shelter instead of power?

I don't live in a bubble. I live in a mysteriously vast world with many things to experience. 

Good luck taking food, power and water away from everyone. That's quite a hard feat to accomplish now-a-days.

1. Economic collapse, it can happen

2. Solar flare plus CME (coronal mass ejection) hits the earth, = no power.

3. EMP

4. Yellowstone supervolcano that's overdue for eruption, and would be big enough to be classified as an "extinction event". (causes nuclear winter, without the nuclear weapons, dust cloud that causes an ice age)

5. Virulent outbreak (the topic of this thread) while Ebola might not be that outbreak, saying that something can't happen is just an invitation for it to happen.

6. Nuclear war, according to the doomsday clock we have 5 minutes and 5 seconds left until midnight http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomsday_Clock#History Not to mention the incident in the 80's where we actually came closer to nuclear war than the cuban missile crisis due to soviet misinterpretation of a NATO exercise (looking for reference now, there is a history channel documentary about it)

7. Theres probably some things I'm forgetting right now

Trust me, I'm a doomsday prepper, I research this shit, civilization exists on the edge of a knife, it's quite honestly a miracle that it goes on day after day, and that lulls us into dispreparedness.

Shouldn't it be shelter instead of power?

I would say in addition to. Power is necessary for modern communications. power goes out, doesn't come back, you have no idea what the fuck is going on, panic sets in eventually.

Food

Water

Power.

Knock out the guarantee to any one of those three, and you have complete and total anarchy. At least in the #firstworld lol. Even if only temporary, look at what happened during Katrina.

Lol I take that as a pun about me, albeit a friendly one. One mans paranoia is another mans prudent planning.

We take civilization completley for granted. Think about it, what would you do, if the power suddenly went off, and never came back on? How long would you wait before giving up hope that it would come back? Until the food ran out? the water? what would it take for you to realize that the world as we now know it, was gone, at least for the foreseeable future? Do you have a plan? do you have the knowledge to survive, with nothing but your bare hands and what you have on hand to put in those hands?

I know I do. I'm prepared, not as well as I would like to be because of finances, but I think I'd have a better shot than most since I'm not in a large population center, and I've got a bag full of gear that would give me a decent shot.

LOL I honestly didn't think of you. I just found it funny how he started by saying that it was nothing and then quickly wrote something that sounded even worse:P

My plan is simple if everything crashes....I would use my size to get some food from some of the more weak(Im coming for you grandma!)  and then will sail away....Find some unoccupied micro island maybe. Or just stay at sea.

3. EMP

4. Yellowstone supervolcano that's overdue for eruption, and would be big enough to be classified as an "extinction event". (causes nuclear winter, without the nuclear weapons, dust cloud that causes an ice age)

5. Virulent outbreak (the topic of this thread) while Ebola might not be that outbreak, saying that something can't happen is just an invitation for it to happen.

6. Nuclear war, according to the doomsday clock we have 5 minutes and 5 seconds left until midnight http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomsday_Clock#History Not to mention the incident in the 80's where we actually came closer to nuclear war than the cuban missile crisis due to soviet misinterpretation of a NATO exercise (looking for reference now, there is a history channel documentary about it)

Trust me, I'm a doomsday prepper, I research this shit, civilization exists on the edge of a knife, it's quite honestly a miracle that it goes on day after day, and that lulls us into dispreparedness.

I would say in addition to. Power is necessary for modern communications. power goes out, doesn't come back, you have no idea what the fuck is going on, panic sets in eventually.

Aren't we all pretty much fucked if that happens no matter what we do? Wouldn't that set off the one in siberia too?

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

LOL I honestly didn't think of you. I just found it funny how he started by saying that it was nothing and then quickly wrote something that sounded even worse:P

My plan is simple if everything crashes....I would use my size to get some food from some of the more weak(Im coming for you grandma!)  and then will sail away....Find some unoccupied micro island maybe.

Only flaw I see there is that a micro island might not have enough food to support even a single person, yes there is fish, but remember that fat is necessary to the human diet, eat nothing but vegetables and lean meat for a few weeks straight and you end up with what's known as "rabbit starvation" or "protein poisoning". Your body will start to break down because it gets nothing but protein, sugar (fats) are also necessay to life, can't remember the reason why though. that and, are there even any micro islands anywhere near Denmark? If I remember correctly, your gonna be sailing for a WHILE

Edit: Side note for EVERYONE, note to your memory, that there is not a single species of bird that you cannot eat. and birds are everywhere that land is. Just a good thing to remember if need be.

3. EMP

Maybe one countries economy will collapse but the world's financial will not collapse. Uhh we do have portions of our electrical grid shielded though not much.... 

The military would most likely still be operational in the event of a EMP attack. The US has a quite a bit of shielded military hardware.

Yellowstone? That's out of everyone's hands, If something absurd like that happens I'm positive humans will scramble to find ways to adapt and survive. Technology is quite useful in the right hands.

The number of anti ICBM weaponry out there is almost uncountable. If a nuclear war did somehow, SOMEHOW happen the destruction would be mitigated. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Only flaw I see there is that a micro island might not have enough food to support even a single person, yes there is fish, but remember that fat is necessary to the human diet, eat nothing but vegetables and lean meat for a few weeks straight and you end up with what's known as "rabbit starvation" or "protein poisoning". Your body will start to break down because it gets nothing but protein, sugar (fats) are also necessay to life, can't remember the reason why though. that and, are there even any micro islands anywhere near Denmark? If I remember correctly, your gonna be sailing for a WHILE

Edit: Side note for EVERYONE, note to your memory, that there is not a single species of bird that you cannot eat. and birds are everywhere that land is. Just a good thing to remember if need be.

¨Yeah, there are tons! There is this dude who owns his own small island(Its basically a hunting resort....Tons of animals, some of which has been released...).Not many people know about it...So he will be the target of my wrath.

I will stay out for a while and then launch raiding parties when you landlubbers have grown weak!

A pirates life for me.

To be honest....I wouldn't really care to survive in a situation like this.

Maybe one countries economy will collapse but the world's financial will not collapse. Uhh we do have portions of our electrical grid shielded though not much.... 

The military would most likely still be operational in the event of a EMP attack. The US has a quite a bit of shielded military hardware.

Yellowstone? That's out of everyone's hands, If something absurd like that happens I'm positive humans will scramble to find ways to adapt and survive. Technology is quite useful in the right hands.

The number of anti ICBM weaponry out there is almost uncountable. If a nuclear war did somehow, SOMEHOW happen the destruction would be mitigated. 

You are quite the optimist aren't you? I too have faith that humanity would adapt and survive, but not without a period of extreme struggle, and the loss of many lives, which is why I advocate prepping.

¨Yeah, there are tons! There is this dude who owns his own small island(Its basically a hunting resort....Tons of animals, some of which has been released...).Not many people know about it...So he will be the target of my wrath.

I will stay out for a while and then launch raiding parties when you landlubbers have grown weak!

A pirates life for me.

To be honest....I wouldn't really care to survive in a situation like this.

Why not? I'd love to be reduced to survival of the fittest rather than our modern lifestyle, I'd prefer to be able to get what I want simply because I can, rather than dealing with school, careers, etc. In times of extreme struggle, equality truly comes out, those who can survive, do.

Maybe I've just played too much fallout lol

You are quite the optimist aren't you? I too have faith that humanity would adapt and survive, but not without a period of extreme struggle, and the loss of many lives, which is why I advocate prepping.

I don't tout to be a optimist, I'm just throwing out realistic things that would most likely happen in the event of those atrocities lol. 

The best type of prepping now would be moving into space, and colonizing a giant red rock close to us. 

EDIT: A nice orbital space station the size of a small moon made with resources mined from the asteroid belt sounds brilliant to me. A colony on the moon would be nice too. 

Why not? I'd love to be reduced to survival of the fittest rather than our modern lifestyle, I'd prefer to be able to get what I want simply because I can, rather than dealing with school, careers, etc. In times of extreme struggle, equality truly comes out, those who can survive, do.

Maybe I've just played too much fallout lol

Because im not the fittest? And neither are yoU! You once wrote that you can't do the military because you can't pass their condioning tests.

In the words of that guy from zombieland: "The fatties die first"

And more importantly no gaming!

1. The virus isn't contagious in its incubation period, so you'll only be able to transmit it once you start having symptoms, so avoiding and quarantining people with symptoms can slow its spread greatly. This: "it would likely be two weeks before anyone realizes the attack took place, and by that time the virus could have already been spread to tens of thousands of people in every major city across North America" is incorrect, according to the CDC, at least.

2. The virus is only transmitted through bodily fluids, so it's not very easy to pass to another person. I'm pretty sure it won't make you sneeze or give you a runny nose, so it's fairly hard to spread in places that have proper burial and sewage systems.

3. The effects of the virus are so severe that people tend not to go and move around too much once they get it, and people with the disease die very quickly, so it is going to have a hard time spreading.

It's a pretty poor bioterrorism weapon, all things considered.

Yup, told him to go home, at least 5 children were exposed to him during that time. Sure we can handle this....

Just quarantine the kids. They're not infectious immediately. The government better not fuck this up.

the last thing we want is for facebook being swarmed with ebola shit and nobody doing anything, if it spreads more in the US, just take basic cautions, use a mask like the ones surgerons do, avoid contant with body fluids (kissing). and eveybody will be alright

That avatar and message combo is pretty ironic considering it's Obama's fault for not halting air travel to and from those infected regions and having it spread to my bloody home town. His administration flat out refuses to put travel bans and would rather put millions of Americans at risk of exposure. I used to work at DFW airport and THANK GOD I don't anymore.

That avatar and message combo is pretty ironic considering it's Obama's fault for not halting air travel to and from those infected regions and having it spread to my bloody home town. His administration flat out refuses to put travel bans and would rather put millions of Americans at risk of exposure. I used to work at DFW airport and THANK GOD I don't anymore.

Do you know how ebola transmists?

"Ebola can only be contracted through direct contact with a sick person's bodily fluids. That means saliva, feces, urine, blood, vomit or semen. It isn't transmitted through the air, so you are more likely to catch a cold on a flight than Ebola."

There have been far more serious virus outbreaks that also didn't restrict travel....:Maybe people should just fucking relax.. Its ONE case!

But no. Lets just stop all travel to west africa...

The ebola victim had no symptons before travel. All passengers are checked for symptons before flight. Ebola doesn't trasmit before you have symptons. Had he had fever beforehand, he would not have flown.

And my house could explode tonight while i am sleeping... ZzzzZzzz

*boom*

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I don't think we have to worry.

http://www.naturalnews.com/2-Ebola-virus-bioweapons-terrorism-cities-pandemic-weaponized.html

So this seems really possible and has me really worried right now. Should i buy a hazmat suit yet?

You don't need to be that worried about weaponized Ebola. There are far, far more deadly viruses that have already been weaponized.

Russia is constantly developing such horrific things.

There was a research team that developed a strain of H5N1 virus (iirc) that has the potential to wipe out 1/5 of the planet if it ever escaped the lab.

3. EMP

I think of your list #5 is probably the most likely...or #6. Took a gander at the clock, I'm actually pretty surprised it hasn't been ticked a little forward what with Russia declaring that they're going to continue to develop nuclear weapons and Putin's desire to return to a Soviet style Russia. That, and their bombers constantly testing other nations boundaries...interesting times.

I don't think Ebola will be the virus that causes it, but there are some seriously nasty things out there, and who knows what else lies in the jungles just waiting to spread.

I'd love to know where it originated.

There have been far more serious virus outbreaks that also didn't restrict travel....:Maybe people should just fucking relax.. Its ONE case!

Actually, two.

But realistically it was bound to happen, and it's bound to hit most large countries on the planet.

It just depends how each nation deals with it. Hopefully quickly.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

You don't need to be that worried about weaponized Ebola. There are far, far more deadly viruses that have already been weaponized.

Russia is constantly developing such horrific things.

There was a research team that developed a strain of H5N1 virus (iirc) that has the potential to wipe out 1/5 of the planet if it ever escaped the lab.

I think of your list #5 is probably the most likely...or #6. Took a gander at the clock, I'm actually pretty surprised it hasn't been ticked a little forward what with Russia declaring that they're going to continue to develop nuclear weapons and Putin's desire to return to a Soviet style Russia. That, and their bombers constantly testing other nations boundaries...interesting times.

I don't think Ebola will be the virus that causes it, but there are some seriously nasty things out there, and who knows what else lies in the jungles just waiting to spread.

I'd love to know where it originated.

Actually, two.

But realistically it was bound to happen, and it's bound to hit most large countries on the planet.

It just depends how each nation deals with it. Hopefully quickly.

Had not considered the Putin issue in regards to the clock, a very good observation.

Do you know how ebola transmists?

"Ebola can only be contracted through direct contact with a sick person's bodily fluids. That means saliva, feces, urine, blood, vomit or semen. It isn't transmitted through the air, so you are more likely to catch a cold on a flight than Ebola."

The ebola victim had no symptons before travel. All passengers are checked for symptons before flight. Ebola doesn't trasmit before you have symptons. Had he had fever beforehand, he would not have flown.

It's now known that he came into contact with at least 18 people after going to the hospital, complaining of fever, and was turned away, including at least 5 children.

Ontop of that, there was something about a possible ebola case in hawaii on the news this morning, Didn't hear all of it because I was half asleep. Will look for more. Also, some children have died from that "mystery virus" Enterovirus D68, which we know isnt a mystery, but if you say where it came from you're a racist somehow. Including one child in my state of VA

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/01/health/enterovirus-68-death/index.html

https://time.com/3455815/hawaii-potential-ebola-case/

Enough of this tinfoil hat guff. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Enough of this tinfoil hat guff. 

Don't read it if you don't care. or

Don't read it if you don't care. or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKS6xy87ewk

No, I do care. But it just seems that everyone is extremely paranoid about this virus. 

It isn't the first sign of it. Though it has mutated to produce this outbreak. 

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Meh, i don't know what to believe anymore with all of those lies that the government tell us everyday, so if this is true (wich i'm not sure but who can be sure ?) let's hope that it doesn't spread all over the world, otherwise.. weeeeeeeeeeeeell we are fuck*d.

Fun fact of the day : " Ment " in French means " Lie " and " Gouvernement ", " Government " and if you add those two words... Gouvernement, just a coincidence but i find that funny. :P

No, I do care. But it just seems that everyone is extremely paranoid about this virus. 

It isn't the first sign of it. Though it has mutated to produce this outbreak. 

Fair enough, but it's not really tinfoil hat stuff to stay ontop of something that his slowly happening, I just hope it remains slow/doesnt happen at all. Better to be paranoid and disappointed than uninformed and surprised right?

Meh, i don't know what to believe anymore with all of those lies that the government tell us everyday, so if this is true (wich i'm not sure but who can be sure ?) let's hope that it doesn't spread all over the world, otherwise.. weeeeeeeeeeeeell we are fuck*d.

Fun fact of the day : " Ment " in French means " Lie " and " Gouvernement ", " Governement " and if you add those two words... Gouvernement, literraly. :P

That.....made my day

Fair enough, but it's not really tinfoil hat stuff to stay ontop of something that his slowly happening, I just hope it remains slow/doesnt happen at all. Better to be paranoid and disappointed than uninformed and surprised right?

I can stand by that argument.