RAM voltages? which to take?

hello everybody,

I heard that it was a great forum to ask so questions so first of all hello! :)

i now am building a new computer for which i have already the CPU (i7-4790K) and motherboard (asus maximus VII hero). I want to buy 4x4GB RAM the best possible under 400 swiss francs which is approximatively 415$ or 330€.

I want them to be corsair dominator platinum just because they are the perfect colour match for my build.

I fould that there are some DDR3-2133 and DDR3-2400 in this bracket but found out that there were sometimes twice the same model but with different voltages, and countrary to my expectations the lower voltages were more expensive. how should i choose?

thanks in advance,

Mr_Le0 (OneShot Gaming)

Doesn't really matter which one you go for, they are pretty much the same. I wouldn't recommend getting the corsair platinum only because it is really overpriced for what it is. My recommendation is to get G.Skill Ripjaws X ram. It is great quality, and a lot cheaper.

The price differences are because you're supposed to save money on lower voltage RAM in operation costs.

The difference is that 1600mhz 1.5v vs 1.3v or something like that is 2W less in power consumption per stick. Meaning you'd literally be saving fractions of a penny on your power bill between the two. To make matters worse is that you're likely paying more for the lower voltage sticks when they're also slower. Not always the case, but usually it is.

Basically, get what you need and can actually use/whatever's compatible with your system. The voltage difference for savings won't even make a difference unless you have tens or hundreds of modules in servers running 24/7/365 (you should be going for ECC modules if that were the case..).

And yes, I'm helping debunk the 'eco-friendly RAM' shit.

That is a scam. There are no "green" RAM sticks. They don't do anything to help the environment and make the world less efficient by wasting money on slower products. Maybe with DDR4 this will be different, but as far as DDR3 goes and from what I've seen thus far, there will not be any RAM that'll magically be better for the environment, a.k.a. be more efficient as a whole, without just being the standard piece of technology.

Anything branded as eco-friendly or green is simply bs.

i heard there was a difference in qualitty of build, on capacity to overclock, anyone?

Doesn't really matter which one you go for, they are pretty much the same. I wouldn't recommend getting the corsair platinum only because it is really overpriced for what it is. My recommendation is to get G.Skill Ripjaws X ram. It is great quality, and a lot cheaper.

are there some beautiful RAM that go with a black white silver classy theme?

DDR3 1600MHZ cheapest available that is not Crucial will be fine.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

are there some beautiful RAM that go with a black white silver classy theme?

i'd suggest these kingston fury white sticks:

Kingston_FuryHyperX_FrBk.jpg

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

well, why should i take some 1600MHz instead of a good 2400MHz?

do you think it's not worth getting that extra speed and small latency?

EDIT: what about 4x4Gb HyperX beast 2400 MHz?