Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr

Yea. it is an annoyance.

This is really a feature that bugs me. I plan to have the option to delay updates enabled. (pro only feature... you still can't stop it, just delay). In the mean time, post user feedback, make your voice heard, and vote for being able to hide updates, at least drivers:

https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/suggestions/8232813-hide-updates

Hi guys, there are a few topics about Windows 10, but here I want to make one just for people (like me) who test the system.

Windows Insider Program

https://insider.windows.com/

I'm just beginning my testing, I'm running it on Oracle Virtualbox, if you're curious what my settings are, here you go:

Edit: Default Windows 8.1 settings should work, if not, here you've got mine:

Microsoft Windows, Other (32bit)

All cores, 100% (shouldn't affect much, work speed is quite high)

TURN ON PAE (otherwise the system won't start)

128MB GPU, 3D Acceleration

I needed to shut down the virtual machine a few times because of a black screen, don't worry if you get one.

After you install everything, your network and audio might not work. I managed to fix my issues with those settings:

REXJrro.png

y6zvPs5.png

The great list of easter eggs and bugs:

Charm bar search still exists.

You can "summon" it by Win + C

There are two task managers

beWgwJB.png

What's new?

A little bit different structure of C:\

C:\ is now better organized, it's more minimalistic. That's how it works:

C:\

-PerfLogs

-Program Files

-Users

--Name

--Public

-Windows

Crap wish I had seen this before I updated my own thread about windows 10. Now I feel out dated.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

SO im concidering getting in on this:)

how is the stability?

I can run this until win 10 releases? 

If so i will have t reinstall win 8.1 and upgrade from there? 

Build 10130 reaches slow ring after new Windows Update delivered to current Build 10130 users.

SO im concidering getting in on this:)

how is the stability?

I can run this until win 10 releases? 

If so i will have t reinstall win 8.1 and upgrade from there?

OS is very stable.

Yes, you can run it until Windows 10 is released. We don't know what will happen after. We do know that we will have a grace period to give us time to backup our stuff and install the official release. We don't know if there will be future builds to insiders to the path Windows 10.1. We know that there will be Insider Preview for 10.1, but we don't know when it will start: immediately after 10.0 is released, or later on.

OS is very stable.

Yes, you can run it until Windows 10 is released. We don't know what will happen after. We do know that we will have a grace period to give us time to backup our stuff and install the official release. We don't know if there will be future builds to insiders to the path Windows 10.1. We know that there will be Insider Preview for 10.1, but we don't know when it will start: immediately after 10.0 is released, or later on.

So should i go for it ? it works good for gaming? 

Nvidia GPU, yes

AMD GPU, maybe.

Do you mind reinstalling on official release or if a beta update breaks something? If so go ahead

And as said earlier beware of amd reliability on 10

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Windows 10 works perfectly but Windows update keeps forcing a new Touchpad driver which breaks my media touchkeys and causes the laptop to hang every so often, worse is it forces the update even when I install the Windows 7 drivers from the manufacturer which work perfectly.

I sincerely hope in the final build you can stop Windows forcing driver upgrades.

(Turning off driver updates from Windows update in System Properties does not stop them)

Windows 10 works perfectly but Windows update keeps forcing a new Touchpad driver which breaks my media touchkeys and causes the laptop to hang every so often, worse is it forces the update even when I install the Windows 7 drivers from the manufacturer which work perfectly.

I sincerely hope in the final build you can stop Windows forcing driver upgrades.

(Turning off driver updates from Windows update in System Properties does not stop them)

Nope. Windows updates are now forced. Pro or non-Pro version of Windows, all Windows updates are forced. All you can do is delay a Windows update if you have a Pro edition of Windows, and that is only by a few days.

I did post a feedback on it, but it doesn't look like many people care about it due to the low count:

https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/suggestions/8232813-hide-updates

Please vote, and spread the word.

Nope. Windows updates are now forced. Pro or non-Pro version of Windows, all Windows updates are forced. All you can do is delay a Windows update if you have a Pro edition of Windows, and that is only by a few days.

I did post a feedback on it, but it doesn't look like many people care about it due to the low count:

I don't think many care due to the low number of professionals who need the feature or casual users with paranoia.

Apparently, if you have Windows 10 Insider Preview, you automatically get a full license of Windows 10 on release.
Without the need to even confirm if you have a copy of Windows 7 or 8.1.

Now I'm just questioning if that will remain a full license after a year or if it will ask you to pay like what they had initially planned for pirates.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Apparently, if you have Windows 10 Insider Preview, you automatically get a full license of Windows 10 on release.

Without the need to even confirm if you have a copy of Windows 7 or 8.1.

Now I'm just questioning if that will remain a full license after a year or if it will ask you to pay like what they had initially planned for pirates.

As I said in another thread:

Yes, but it must be noted that you are forced to have a joined Microsoft account, forced to the Insider program (meaning be ready to upgrade your Windows every month minimum, so if you have a bandwidth cap or not fast Internet, that could be a problem), and also you'll be an unstable environment (beta OS), which could have critical bug which could results in permanent data loss (and this is not one of those rare thing. It happened on Windows 10 beta, Windows 7 beta, and I THINK Vista beta as well, but don't quote me that.. its been too long), or unexpected system re-install.

If you want to get out, install your previous version of Windows, and upgrade to Windows 10.

As I said in another thread:

Yes, but it must be noted that you are forced to have a joined Microsoft account, forced to the Insider program (meaning be ready to upgrade your Windows every month minimum, so if you have a bandwidth cap or not fast Internet, that could be a problem), and also you'll be an unstable environment (beta OS), which could have critical bug which could results in permanent data loss (and this is not one of those rare thing. It happened on Windows 10 beta, Windows 7 beta, and I THINK Vista beta as well, but don't quote me that.. its been too long), or unexpected system re-install.

If you want to get out, install your previous version of Windows, and upgrade to Windows 10.

"Forced". It's called quid pro quo.

i installed it on a different drive and it installed a bootloader on my main drive that detected a pirate copy of windows 7 and stopped my keyboard and mouse from working when i tried to use windows 7.

3800X, Corsiar 32gig 3200mhz LPX, Asus Hero X570. 2080ti black edition

i installed it on a different drive and it installed a bootloader on my main drive that detected a pirate copy of windows 7 and stopped my leopard and mouse from working when i tried to use windows 7.

Whether you use a pirated copy of anything is beyond our scope, but if you are, you should always be cautious of using new software designed by the same people you are "stealing" from.

"Forced". It's called quid pro quo.

Fancy pants with his fancy words. :)

well i tried to buy it windows 7 retail from microsoft online store but apparently they dont sell it anymore :-(

3800X, Corsiar 32gig 3200mhz LPX, Asus Hero X570. 2080ti black edition

well i tried to buy it windows 7 retail from microsoft online store but apparently they dont sell it anymore :-(

Windows 7 is not only discontinued but mainstream support has ended, it is under extended support (e.g: Security updates only).

Windows 8.1 replace Windows 8, which replaces Windows 7.

Buy a OEM license, many stores, like NCIX, still sell those.

And if all you want is a license to upgrade to Windows 10, you might as well just get Windows 8.1.

If you're not willing to pay $100, you get get a license on the cheap on G2A(As cheap as $25).

As to whether or not those keys will work forever, or at all, that I can't say, but should still let you upgrade and if it doesn't work, the "shield" of G2A let you get another key.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Yeah, I don't mind OS and security updates being forced at all but I think it's a mistake to force driver updates cause that's normally what breaks things, with the limited Tech Preview people know what they're doing so is less of an issue but when the whole world starts to upgrade to Windows 10 it will probably be more of a problem.

Have to see what happens, I'll vote it up when I'm next on my computer, if Microsoft doesn't give a solution hopefully some enterprising individual does come up with a way to block a specific driver update otherwise the shine will wear off from Windows 10 very quickly which is a shame cause it works perfectly apart from this one driver update!