Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr

My guess, is that you remain using a Windows Insider, and will continue to get new builds on the path of Windows 10.1

If that was true anyone could just download the preview and get Windows 10 free forever. I highly doubt that's how they're doing it.

If that was true anyone could just download the preview and get Windows 10 free forever. I highly doubt that's how they're doing it.

True, but you'll be using beta version of Windows, and you would be sharing too much information (see current privacy policy).

So in a way you you are working as a tester for Microsoft and heck even providing feedback. So, Microsoft does get some value out of it.

If your computer have it's windows key license embedded (mostly new notebooks and tablets) you probably can upgrade from preview to Windows 10.

If it's not embedded, with a sticker or bought the DVD/key, looks like that you will need to rollback to that Windows version and upgrade from it to Windows 10, that will create a new key binded to your account.

That would make sense.

If your computer have it's windows key license embedded (mostly new notebooks and tablets) you probably can upgrade from preview to Windows 10.

If it's not embedded, with a sticker or bought the DVD/key, looks like that you will need to rollback to that Windows version and upgrade from it to Windows 10, that will create a new key binded to your account.

As long as nothing goes wrong when you rollback or certain settings don't get erased. I'm glad I have the option to just "buy" a 10 license.

True, but you'll be using beta version of Windows, and you would be sharing too much information (see current privacy policy).

So in a way you you are working as a tester for Microsoft and heck even providing feedback. So, Microsoft does get some value out of it.

Windows 10 doesn't collect much incriminating stuff. Microsoft themselves debunked the theory of there being a keylogger (there isn't one). They can have my frequently used folders and other minuscule stuff like that if the insider program stretches onward to running even beyond RTM builds.  -_-

Windows 10 doesn't collect much incriminating stuff. Microsoft themselves debunked the theory of there being a keylogger (there isn't one). They can have my frequently used folders and other minuscule stuff like that if the insider program stretches onward to running even beyond RTM builds.  -_-

I meant in the sense that you help Microsoft via you using the system and higher then normal telemetry data collecting. I know there isn't a keylogger.

Did they specifically say "keylogger"? If so, they could still capture text data without logging keys.

Did they specifically say "keylogger"? If so, they could still capture text data without logging keys.

Outside of keylogging there's not much value in what one can acquire from an end user. Sure there still is credible data to be had but keylogging in itself is the ultimate form of data collection. A simple keyboard hook, window title checking and leveraging SMTP will get you far more than what you could ever ask for.

The reality is that they capture text, but let me ask you: do you use Chrome? Facebook? Visit any site using their ads or buttons? They capture much more valuable info than just keystrokes.

Pretty terrifying, but that is the truth.

I'm gonna say your bank password is worth way more than the fact that you like Jewish girls dressed as sexy rabbis.

The value depends what the person/company/agency wants from you: they can leak important info that you might have access, can blackmail you, can tailor ads for you, or they can be really nice and do nothing.

Don't know how about you, but I have two S/key generators, one for each bank account. If they have only my password, they can see how much money I've but can't steal me.

Then why don't you have s/key generators protecting you from getting ads?

Anyone go the "reserve my Windows 10" taskbar update thingum in Virtualbox?

I'm seeing that thing pop up everywhere but where I want it.

I restored my favourite early snapshot, 1.5GB of WinUpdates but no Win10 logo on my taskbar...

Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 | 2500k | 16GB Geil 1866 | Seasonic g360 | Windforce GTX660 | SSDs: 250GB 840 + 2x240GB m500 Striped | Spinners: 640GB 2.5" + 2x2TB Mirrored

QFR : TKStealth : Noctua : Abyssus : Nostromo : Dell & Asus screens on my Lavolta Triple

7 is my main OS + several VMs on my 500GB SSD Stripe

Does anyone know how running the Windows 10 Insider Preview will affect the Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 free upgrade? I have the notification and went through the steps to confirm that I want Windows 10 as soon as it's released but what happens if I decide to run the Insider Preview? Is there a free upgrade from the preview to full Windows 10 or will I need to re-install my copy of Windows 8.1 and then go to Windows 10?

Tried contacting MS Support and they were clueless. I just don't want to install the Preview just to have to re-install 8.1 again and download hours of update to end up on full Windows 10.

Insiders will be able to upgrade from the Preview to RTM without a problem. But as for activation, that may require you to enter your old Windows Key at some point in time. If your PC came with an OEM install of Windows 8.1, then the key is stored in the UEFI and Windows will automatically activate by reading that data.

Of note, which @GoodBytes mentions:

My guess, is that you remain using a Windows Insider, and will continue to get new builds on the path of Windows 10.1

If you are currently an insider, you may in the future receive new builds before others. The next major update will either be Windows 10.1 or Redstone.

Mary Jo Foley (a well known PC/MS journalist at ZDnet) reported: 

My sources say the Windows Insiders program will continue throughout the Threshold/Redstone development/delivery/deployment timeframe, meaning Microsoft will continue to provide early test builds of not just the monthly updates, but the larger updates to Windows 10, too, into next year, and possibly beyond.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-redstone-an-update-to-windows-10-due-in-2016/

So if you currently are an insider and remain on the 'fast' build ring, you will probably continue to get insider builds. If you want something more stable, on RTM you should probably switch to the slow ring or opt-out of the insider program if you don't want the latest bleeding edge release.

Unrelated to the above, but I didn't want to double post:

Build 10134 has leaked online:

GJ0RdZb.jpg

Here are some changes in that build:

• One small change is that you can stop your install from receiving new Insider builds and also turn off experimental features
  • Snipping tool has been updated in this build with a new delay option for taking a screenshots.
  • In tablet mode, it looks like the virtual desktops have gone away, when clicking the Task View button, an app switcher view opens.

Sources:

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-build-10134-has-leaked

http://www.neowin.net/news/gallery-windows-10-build-10134-snipping-tool-updated

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Oh you didn't read the fine prints... it says: Free for everyone expect for zuboici.

Sorry mate. I don't know what you did to Microsoft, but yea...

In all seriousness, see this thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/379929-windows-10-reservation-not-showing-up-in-your-taskbar-solution-enclosed/

Cheers GoodBytes :)

Updates checked for and found to be missing

Quick methods 1 & 2 no joy

Awaiting results of Long-Method #1

Notably - I can see update KB3035583 in optional updates but not KB2951664

(TWIMC: I'm NOT doing anything with the tech preview version, I'm trying to get the invite to work. I'm running Win7 64 bit as a VirtualBox VM, restored an early snapshot, two rounds of 'important' updates only. My motivation is to have an answer when peeps ask me what happens when you click the weird thing that appeared on the taskbar)

Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 | 2500k | 16GB Geil 1866 | Seasonic g360 | Windforce GTX660 | SSDs: 250GB 840 + 2x240GB m500 Striped | Spinners: 640GB 2.5" + 2x2TB Mirrored

QFR : TKStealth : Noctua : Abyssus : Nostromo : Dell & Asus screens on my Lavolta Triple

I really want the ability to hide updates.

I am already fighting with driver versions, between mind and Windows Update. Annoying.

I made a user voice entry: https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/suggestions/8232813-hide-updates

But I don't think anyone cares... I have a feeling it will be a mess without this ability for users.

Nope, the current preview expires on 1st October 2015. You'll have to remove it after that date.

Its really not hard to link insider to microsoft accounts and continue allowing beta access for users with legitimate Windows 10 installed.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I really want the ability to hide updates.

I am already fighting with driver versions, between mind and Windows Update. Annoying.

I made a user voice entry: https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/suggestions/8232813-hide-updates

But I don't think anyone cares... I have a feeling it will be a mess without this ability for users.

How many updates do you hide?

(and do updates you've hidden ever unhide without you telling them to?)

How many updates do you hide?

(and do updates you've hidden ever unhide without you telling them to?)

I usually hide 1-2 update. Either teh driver given is older than installed and wants to override it, or the current Windows Update delivered version has a big with a software and waiting for the following version.

I don't care not being able to hide Windows update. But I want the ability to hide drivers, system firmware (Surface line have this), etc.

Oh you didn't read the fine prints... it says: Free for everyone expect for zuboici.

Sorry mate. I don't know what you did to Microsoft, but yea...

In all seriousness, see this thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/379929-windows-10-reservation-not-showing-up-in-your-taskbar-solution-enclosed/

Got it!

Bit of messing around, I won't bore you with it. Having fun trying to get as clean as possible snapshot to put Win10 on when it's available.

Thanks for the link, got me moving in the right direction ;)

(Learned something - if you don't put 'KB' at the start when searching installed updates / update history it doesn't find the update even if it's there!! Lol. Not.)

Build 10130 arriving to Slow ring.

Waiting for ISO.

Good I can fix my totally busted desktop, as due to the upgrade to go to 10130, everything screws up, as previously mentioned.

My Surface Pro 2 did the upgrade smoothly, and runs above and beyond. Funny how it crap out on my desktop, where both systems are identical to the last drop in setup and software (beside drivers, of course).

Build 10130 arriving to Slow ring.

Waiting for ISO.

Good I can fix my totally busted desktop, as due to the upgrade to go to 10130, everything screws up, as previously mentioned.

My Surface Pro 2 did the upgrade smoothly, and runs above and beyond. Funny how it crap out on my desktop, where both systems are identical to the last drop in setup and software (beside drivers, of course).

Arrving or arrived?

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Who knows. Its GoodBytian' languages's.

We'll start a 1 month investigation into whether 10130 is already here or not.