Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr

I have the HD Graphics 4000 on an 3rd gen i5. All I had to do was download the latest driver from Intel's website and it worked without a hitch, sorta:

Let me elaborate a bit: In build 9926 there was an Intel iGPU driver which was pushed through Windows Update. If you had that particular driver version installed, trying to update to the latest one provided by Intel always failed. I had to roll back the driver in device manager, restart, and then the latest driver from Intel would install.

I would check what driver version you have in device manager. If you did get the iGPU graphics driver update through Windows Update, that may be causing your issues.

Note: When downloading the latest driver from Intel, select the WIn 8.1 64 bit option, it installs and supports Windows 10 per the screenshot I shared earlier.

For me I put it on my Surface Pro 2, and the Windows Update got the drivers for Intel integrated graphics. But long story short, it doesn't come with the intel control panel, and I need it, to disable Dynamic Contrast ratio which is enabled by default on battery. So, as i always do, I go on Intel website and get the drivers from there. But those can't be installed under Windows 10. They fail. Intel purposely wrote a section in the inf file for Windows 10, and put to do nothing. So no file are copied, nothing changes on the system, Windows thinks all it good as the process was successful (nothing was done). I have the HD4400 graphics.

So I had to do what I mentioned to make it work. I looked online, and clearly, mass number of people can't get their Intel drivers installed. It isn't a "Surface Pro 2" only type of issues. It is wide spread out through mobile devices.

For me I put it on my Surface Pro 2, and the Windows Update got the drivers for Intel integrated graphics. But long story short, it doesn't come with the intel control panel, and I need it, to disable Dynamic Contrast ratio which is enabled by default on battery. So, as i always do, I go on Intel website and get the drivers from there. But those can't be installed under Windows 10. They fail. Intel purposely wrote a section in the inf file for Windows 10, and put to do nothing. So no file are copied, nothing changes on the system, Windows thinks all it good as the process was successful (nothing was done). I have the HD4400 graphics.

So I had to do what I mentioned to make it work. I looked online, and clearly, mass number of people can't get their Intel drivers installed. It isn't a "Surface Pro 2" only type of issues. It is wide spread out through mobile devices.

Strange. Maybe the HD 4400 isn't ready for a new driver?

It works fine on my HD 4000. I just checked the inf file for the latest iGPU driver, and there is no Windows 10 section, but the installer does show it is compatible with Windows 10. I just checked and strangely enough, the HD 4400 device ID isn't listed as compatible under the inf file? But the HD 4000 and Iris Pro device IDs are.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I have the HD Graphics 4000 on an 3rd gen i5. All I had to do was download the latest driver from Intel's website and it worked without a hitch, sorta:

Let me elaborate a bit: In build 9926 there was an Intel iGPU driver which was pushed through Windows Update. If you had that particular driver version installed, trying to update to the latest one provided by Intel always failed. I had to roll back the driver in device manager, restart, and then the latest driver from Intel would install.

I would check what driver version you have in device manager. If you did get the iGPU graphics driver update through Windows Update, that may be causing your issues.

Note: When downloading the latest driver from Intel, select the WIn 8.1 64 bit option, it installs and supports Windows 10 per the screenshot I shared earlier.

You'll most likely be updated to Windows 10 non-pro. I have something similar, my laptop came with Windows 8 core. I upgraded to Pro+WMC.

I just checked the product key library on my machine:

zvBEIjI.png

I only have the Windows 8 Core key from the UEFI. The Pro+WMC keys I bought aren't in the key registry. Which in all likelihood means we will need to manually re-activate/upgrade from the Core sku to core-pro sku via the Add Features to Windows setting in control panel and re-adding our Windows 8 Pro keys:

AddFeature041.png

I hope that clears up that question!

EDIT: The other product keys are still technically on my machine in the Windows.old directory from upgrading. Microsoft might figure out a way to copy/migrate over activation from previous versions.

I wonder if I can manually validate a 10 Pro licence with my 8 Pro Licence.

Edit: That or just "buy" a 10 Pro licence from Dreamspark

I wonder if I can manually validate a 10 Pro licence with my 8 Pro Licence.

You can. But don't do it. 

People who have done so are having issues upgrading to new builds. It will also overwrite the Windows Insider Key, and may cause more issues than needed since current Windows 10 builds have a built in 'time-bomb' aka, it deactivates after a certain time period.

I would just wait until General Availability/RTM and then see what happens.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Unfortunately I may not be able to upgrade to Windows 10 when July 29th comes around. I'm currently on a 3 year old Toshiba Satellite P755-S5274 Laptop Running Windows 7 Service Pack 1. I have made an 80GB Partition on my Hard Drive to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10 Technical Preview (Build 10074) which is the latest version as of writing this. I did this because I wanted to test driver compatibility (or rather incompatibility) before it was time to actually upgrade.

I had successfully installed Windows 10 Preview on the second partition and Windows 7 didn't seem to mind as it booted perfectly when selected from the Windows 10 boot menu. After downloading a few of the latest drivers from Toshiba's Support website, I got a Bluescreen error with the following information:

"SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (athwbr.sys)"

After Doing a little research, I found that this was an issue with the Atheros Wireless Adapter Driver from Qualcomm. I am not quite sure if there is anything I can do at this point.

Please note that I didn't install this driver, Windows must have installed it by itself as it was installing the Windows 10 Preview.

After I got this Bluescreen error, the Laptop rebooted and displayed the same error message before it even finished booting. At this point I couldn't even get to a working desktop environment where I could try uninstalling the offending driver.

I tried reinstalling the Windows 10 Preview (Build 10074). This time after the first boot, I immediately uninstalled the Atheros Wireless Driver from the device manager menu. I then went to my other PC, downloaded the latest Atheros wireless driver from Toshiba's website, put it on a flash drive and transferred it to my laptop. Everything seemed to work fine. Windows 10 found my Wi-Fi network and connected without any issues.

I began using Windows 10 and tried downloading the rest of my drivers (display, card reader, touch-pad,Ethernet...etc). About 5 minutes had passed and I once again got the same Bluescreen error : "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (athwbr.sys)"

The Laptop then proceeded to continuously boot loop: Reboot, Bluescreen, Reboot, Bluescreen, Reboot... (you get the idea).

I have now deleted the 80Gb partition and deleted the Windows 10 entry from the boot manager using msconfig.

My laptop now works just as it did before. But now I'm worried that my laptop may not be compatible with Windows 10 when the final RTM build is released. What do you guys think, any ideas I could try? Anyone else experience similar issues with a Toshiba Laptop? I have used Windows 10 in a virtual machine without issues so this is quite unusual.

I appreciate any advice you guys can throw my way,

thanks in advance,

- Golfball_Pro

This new build (10130) feels somewhat unresponsive for me on my tablet...Especially when it comes to get the keyboard to show up on screen. (I end up touching the keyboard button like 10 times before it finally decides to show up...)

Also, hate that the default for the Start screen is FullScreen in desktop mode, had to find the option to turn that junk off.. (or at least, it was on my tablet, dunno about trying on an actual desktop) Good thing though, is that it properly resize again, yay.

It's also great that they now let you customize the list above All Apps... but STILL cannot put THIS PC in there. WHY. I don't give a damn about "file explorer", if I am to install Win10 on my desktop, I will want a quick access to all my hard drives, network drive, etc.. and having to click their tiny icons in the navigation pane is a pain.
Not sure how I feel about "power" being sandwiched between All Apps and Setting though... I feel like I will misclick/mistouch often on that.

Other than these minor complaints, I don't have much more to say about this... Will recover my Windows 8.1 backup to my tablet and wait until RTM I guess.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Microsoft has released this video

and in that video there is something neat about Cortana.

post-5026-0-41138000-1433186500.png

Notifications will show up in the search bar. That's pretty neat. Also, that's not Nancy's Birth but Birthday. lol

What do you guys think?

This new build (10130) feels somewhat unresponsive for me on my tablet...Especially when it comes to get the keyboard to show up on screen. (I end up touching the keyboard button like 10 times before it finally decides to show up...)

Also, hate that the default for the Start screen is FullScreen in desktop mode, had to find the option to turn that junk off.. (or at least, it was on my tablet, dunno about trying on an actual desktop) Good thing though, is that it properly resize again, yay.

It's also great that they now let you customize the list above All Apps... but STILL cannot put THIS PC in there. WHY. I don't give a damn about "file explorer", if I am to install Win10 on my desktop, I will want a quick access to all my hard drives, network drive, etc.. and having to click their tiny icons in the navigation pane is a pain.

Not sure how I feel about "power" being sandwiched between All Apps and Setting though... I feel like I will misclick/mistouch often on that.

Other than these minor complaints, I don't have much more to say about this... Will recover my Windows 8.1 backup to my tablet and wait until RTM I guess.

If you wish to critique desktop use, use a desktop. It knows you're using a tablet.

If you wish to critique desktop use, use a desktop. It knows you're using a tablet.

As an owner of the Surface Pro 2, I have to agree with @TetraSky. In general Windows 10 latest build is great. Still work to be done, of course, but great. Obviously it is getting there. Tablet mode needs more work, this includes the touch screen keyboard. It has issues that were not there in Windows 8 (newly introduced bugs).

A new build should be coming to the fast ring soon. It will be interesting to see the progress on that. In mean time. Post problem, post programs, and post problems. Now is the time to have Microsoft fix them.

As an owner of the Surface Pro 2, I have to agree with @TetraSky. In general Windows 10 latest build is great. Still work to be done, of course, but great. Obviously it is getting there. Tablet mode needs more work, this includes the touch screen keyboard. It has issues that were not there in Windows 8 (newly introduced bugs).

A new build should be coming to the fast ring soon. It will be interesting to see the progress on that. In mean time. Post problem, post programs, and post problems. Now is the time to have Microsoft fix them.

I think we might only see one or two new builds pushed out to fast ring. In a blog MS stated that if build 10130 is fairly stable, they'll push it out to the slow ring + ISO.

Supposedly, the next released build (or the one after that) will be the RTM build with the GA build to follow suit shortly with bug fixes only.

Also, my experience with Windows 10 has been mostly good. On my testing laptop it runs fine, I personally haven't tried it yet on a touchscreen device, so I can't comment on tablet mode. Having a UEFI computer does definitely make the install and upgrade experience more smooth. On my UEFI based laptop, I never had an issue upgrading builds, while my friend who has an older BIOS based laptop had trouble upgrading to new builds (but I think it was due to a bad win 7 install to begin with, repair installing fixed all his issues).

Overall, I would say if you have decent hardware, the preview builds run fairly smooth. Having an SSD helps with XAML apps starting faster too. Just my 2c.

I think we might only see one or two new builds pushed out to fast ring. In a blog MS stated that if build 10130 is fairly stable, they'll push it out to the slow ring + ISO.

Supposedly, the next released build (or the one after that) will be the RTM build with the GA build to follow suit shortly with bug fixes only.

Also, my experience with Windows 10 has been mostly good. On my testing laptop it runs fine, I personally haven't tried it yet on a touchscreen device, so I can't comment on tablet mode. Having a UEFI computer does definitely make the install and upgrade experience more smooth. On my UEFI based laptop, I never had an issue upgrading builds, while my friend who has an older BIOS based laptop had trouble upgrading to new builds (but I think it was due to a bad win 7 install to begin with, repair installing fixed all his issues).

Overall, I would say if you have decent hardware, the preview builds run fairly smooth. Having an SSD helps with XAML apps starting faster too. Just my 2c.

Gabe stated build 10134 might be pushed to insiders. There doesn't seem to be much slowdown in insider releases as they continue polishing Windows 10.

Gabe stated build 10134 might be pushed to insiders. There doesn't seem to be much slowdown in insider releases as they continue polishing Windows 10.

Oops. I don't really use Twitter, but I believe my comment still stands. Anything past 10130 should just be bug fixes, tweaks, and fixes. We'll probably see little to no new features since we are nearing RTM and GA.

Oops. I don't really use Twitter, but I believe my comment still stands. Anything past 10130 should just be bug fixes, tweaks, and fixes. We'll probably see little to no new features since we are nearing RTM and GA.

Windows 10 is indeed in its polishing stages now so each build we get from 10130 onward should get better and better.

Mine is fine. It is at 15.625ms.

What is funny, is that my Surface Pro 2 has this last build running perfectly fine.

But on my desktop, it was failing to update with no information on the web on the issue. So I did a clean install of 10074 (latest ISO), and upgraded to 10130, and it is sooooooo screwed up. I have issues with accounts, Music/Video Windows app crashing at startup, and I go on and on and on. I wiped it again, and re-install again.. and same problems. I wanted to make a new local account, to see if that would help. It took AGES. I even had Windows going "Unfortunitly this is taking longer than usual", and my SSD/HDD activity is doing nothing. It finally went in after liek 10min of waiting, but I can't navigate... it's like still loading or something. Signed-out (via CtrlAlt+Delete, which worked fine), log back in on that new account. Works fine like if there was no problem. I am about to do testing...

Very strange.

On my Surface Pro 2 it really looks like it is nearly done Windows 10, but on desktop, it looks like it needs another 6 months of work.

Desktop specs:

-> Core i7 930 not overclocked.

-> 6GB of RAM

-> SSD 256GB (trusted used for many many years)

Mine looks stuck at 500us.

In my case, the build before the previous whas the best. The previous had a lot of issues, mainly caused by Nvidia drivers that were fixed soon after. Now everything is working just fine, with the exception of that damned clock resolution, that waste a lot of power doing nothing.

Even tweeted the problem to Gabe Aul, but he hasn't heard of any timer related problems =(

The biggest problem is that I don't really know how to track what is causing the problem, because there are no timer requests, so it should be running at 15ms period.

Did you check with power modes are available? If your GPU(or maybe others?) drivers aren't correct, some power modes are not available. Notably S2 and S3.

Mine is fine. It is at 15.625ms.

What is funny, is that my Surface Pro 2 has this last build running perfectly fine.

But on my desktop, it was failing to update with no information on the web on the issue. So I did a clean install of 10074 (latest ISO), and upgraded to 10130, and it is sooooooo screwed up. I have issues with accounts, Music/Video Windows app crashing at startup, and I go on and on and on. I wiped it again, and re-install again.. and same problems. I wanted to make a new local account, to see if that would help. It took AGES. I even had Windows going "Unfortunitly this is taking longer than usual", and my SSD/HDD activity is doing nothing. It finally went in after liek 10min of waiting, but I can't navigate... it's like still loading or something. Signed-out (via CtrlAlt+Delete, which worked fine), log back in on that new account. Works fine like if there was no problem. I am about to do testing...

Very strange.

On my Surface Pro 2 it really looks like it is nearly done Windows 10, but on desktop, it looks like it needs another 6 months of work.

How strange, It's the exact opposite for me. My Latitude e6410 runs Windows 10 perfectly, yet crashed the performance on my Surface 3. Especially due to the fact that i couldn't find any drivers whatsoever. 

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

How strange, It's the exact opposite for me. My Latitude e6410 runs Windows 10 perfectly, yet crashed the performance on my Surface 3. Especially due to the fact that i couldn't find any drivers whatsoever.

Really? I have got the system firmware show up under Windows Update for Windows 10.

You can also download them here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=38826

Mini News Update:

Windows 10 Build 10136 Screenshots Posted by Gabe Aul

Windows 10 Is backwards compatible 10x

Microsoft's chief of the Windows Insiders, Gabe Aul, released some screenshots after he saw someone on Twitter posted a picture of Word 95 being run in Windows 8.1.

windows-10-word-95.jpg?itok=7sYLDmSs

And yes, it does run. The only other updates we can see here is the System Tray arrow has been redesigned to match the rest of the UI. 

windows-10-10136.jpg?itok=lSZUSczr

It even has full support in Windows to select it as the default apps for opening Word docs. Pretty neat, huh?

Edit, 1000 posts!

m85q76.gif

Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE

Really? I have got the system firmware show up under Windows Update for Windows 10.

You can also download them here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=38826

I tried that, still a no-go. 

This also may be of note: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surf3-surfupdate/please-do-not-try-to-install-windows-10-10130-on/d81b43a4-c4bb-4bb5-aa94-11978c597f35?page=~pagenum~

Confirmed those who do the free upgrade to Window 10 can do a clean install at any time.

BRsG8zT.png

Does anyone know how running the Windows 10 Insider Preview will affect the Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 free upgrade? I have the notification and went through the steps to confirm that I want Windows 10 as soon as it's released but what happens if I decide to run the Insider Preview? Is there a free upgrade from the preview to full Windows 10 or will I need to re-install my copy of Windows 8.1 and then go to Windows 10?

Tried contacting MS Support and they were clueless. I just don't want to install the Preview just to have to re-install 8.1 again and download hours of update to end up on full Windows 10.

Does anyone know how running the Windows 10 Insider Preview will affect the Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 free upgrade? I have the notification and went through the steps to confirm that I want Windows 10 as soon as it's released but what happens if I decide to run the Insider Preview? Is there a free upgrade from the preview to full Windows 10 or will I need to re-install my copy of Windows 8.1 and then go to Windows 10?

Tried contacting MS Support and they were clueless. I just don't want to install the Preview just to have to re-install 8.1 again and download hours of update to end up on full Windows 10.

My guess, is that you remain using a Windows Insider, and will continue to get new builds on the path of Windows 10.1