GTX 970 - 6 pin power supply instead of the required 8 pins

Hi, 

I've bought the new GTX 970 and apparently my power supply only has two 6 pin connectors. 
My power supply is the "
EA-430D GREEN POWER SUPPLY" from Antec. 

For the GTX 970 I need 8 pin connectors.
Is there anything I can do, or should I buy a new power supply? 

Thanks in advance

Tom 

@tomthecomputernoob Welcome to the forum! :)

I checked the official website of the PSU manufacturer and the PSU only has one 6-pin PCI-E plug. So that means that it's not compatible with your GPU. That being said, most graphics cards come with power adaptors these days. Did yours come with something like a Molex to PCI-E 8-pin adaptor? That could help you. 

If you don't have that, you'll pretty much need to upgrade your power supply. I suggest getting something like a Corsair CX500M, Seasonic G Series 550W, or a Corsair RM550. Pick the one that fits your budget better!

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

According to the official geforce website here, it says

Supplementary Power Connectors 2x6-pins

You should be fine, although 430W may not be beefy enough, especially since the website recommends at least 500W

Spoiler

AMD 8320 with Noctua NH-D15|ASrock Fatallity Killer 990fx|Sapphire Tri-X R9 290|8gb HyperX Fury Black 1866 MHz|Thermaltake 850W Gold|NZXT H440|Logitech G19s||R.A.T 9|Razer Vespula|Astro A50|Corsair Voyager GT 64 gb

Comp overclocker - Tinkerer - I thoroughly enjoy putting 12v into things that say 5v

According to the geforce website you need a "Minimum System Power Requirement (W) 500W" that being said you can get a two molex to one eight pin adapter, just check the wiring before plugging it in to your graphics card. 

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-970/specifications

Thats not true. My whole system takes in the worst case scenario 430W-450W (after OC) and I have a lot more power hungry components. He will be fine with 430W... still even with room to OC.

(Just use molex to 8-pin if you dont have 8-pin on PSU).

usually cards which have 8pin connectors come with adapters from 6 to 8 pin. The power requirement by the manufacturer is usually way overkill so you should be fine with your psu as long as you dont overclock like crazy...

According to the official geforce website here, it says

You should be fine, although 430W may not be beefy enough, especially since the website recommends at least 500W

These connectors aren't optional, without them the card simply won't work.

You can use molex to PCI-e power adaptors, but make sure you get ones that use 2 molex connectors as one is not enough and could be dangerous.

4ddc9612_k-pcie-molex_main.jpeg

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."