Looking for opinions on H440 vs. 760t

EternalSeeker
Go to solution Solved by airdeano,

Basically H440 vs. 760T for x99 system?

the H440 is fine for air cooling/AIO usage. you won't notice any lag in air flow as

the front fans and up to 75 CFM per (x3) you are fine. kinda wide range from a

mid-tower to a super/full tower. if at any time of your usage custom water cooling

will be considered, the 760T would be a better choice to suit a future SLI upgrade

and water cooling (water blocks might be a concern for the GPU(s).

simple air cooling/AIO and SLI/CFX GPU the H440 is compact enough that your

"air-flow" concerns are unnecessary.

but here is the deal-breaker. the H440 can accept an ATX X99 board just fine, but

E-ATX will be another story: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117203-unofficial-ltt-nzxt-h440-owners-club/?p=1564216 if you find a

different mobo choice.

Hey guys whats good? So I appreciated the help I got on my build thread and now its really about the case choice. Aesthetically I am going for black and red theme build, and I am looking for exceptional build quality, ease of building, easy cable management, quite operations along with exceptional air flow.

So here is my workload:

- Will be using it for watching movies, listening to music browsing, etc (general computing)

- Will be editing videos (maybe even start a youtube channel) and will be editing music (I want to get into DJ'ing and as well I do help out my father in his media business), as well as some moding for video games using Blender, MAYA, etc. 

-3D modeling, physics/other simulation (such as FEA, etc), Some Quantum Mechanics, Matlab/Mathematic Algorithms, Programming (both High and Low Level), image/video analysis, research from the web and data crunching on my own (or have the ability to crunch the data) some sensor data (for like personal research, or stuff I plan to do, like making a small UAV) modifying, etc. (though for more complex things I do have access to a supercomputer courtesy of my work and at my school)

Some software I have used before: ABAQUS ADAMS SoftwareANSYS ASPEN HYSYSC/C++ CES4Femap FORTRAN Gas Turbine 9GESOP LABVIEW LoftsmanLS-DYNA MAPLE MATHCADMathematica MATLAB MSC SOFTWARENastran, Patran,PTC Pro Engineer and Rapid Prototyping ScannerSTK Tecplot I have personally already used STK, Pro-E (now know as Creo) and Autocad 3D

- I also want it to able to game at higher resolution with good performance (for fast paced shooters, and STARCITIZEN!!)

- I am also curious into going for Folding and SETI and any other scientific computation at home when I am not using my computer for work/play

-etc.

As of right now I am working with an institution which is running a project in a orbital cleaning satellite. So I will be running mostly a lot of analytically software and simulators. Most predominate software that are used by the institution are the same software I have listed above. For example besides the CFD and FEA with thermals, I will be expecting to run multi-dynamic orbital simulations as well. In a few months are so I will be doing research on self replicating 3D machines (i.e. 3D printers) and will help in running theoretical calculations and simulations as well. 3D work and CAD are also a given. 

Here are the parts I have:

evga 1000w G2 PSU, MSI x99s sli plus, 5960x, samsung 850 pro 128GB SSD, WD 1TB BLUE HDD and Kraken X61 bought already. Just waiting on ram (16GB DDR4 2133Mhz red dimm ripjaw 4). And since the extreme price drop and the fact that 980/970 are not in stock, I bought a gigabyte 780ti oc for only 500 bucks which is coming. May SLi later or upgrade to a maxwell sli platform.

So from what i hear stock wise the H440 doesn't have exceptional airflow and given that I will mostly be at full load, temps are an issue, I like the 760t because of its ample space and airflow as well as it having slots for 5 1/4 drives, fan controllers and resevoirs..but from linus review the build quality isn't that good. Out of the two which would (in your opinion) be better considering all that?

TL:DR Basically H440 vs. 760T for x99 system?

Specs: Case: NZXT H440 ] CPU: I7-5960x | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 AIO | MOBO: ASUS Rampage V  | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970  | RAM: Gskill Ripjaw 4 16GB 2133Mhz DDR4 kit | PSU: EVGA 1000G2 | SSD (Boot): Samsung 850pro 128GB | HDD (mass storage): WD 1TB Blue 7200RPM  | SDD (Working Drve): Samsung 850 evo 500GB | Keyboard: Logitech G510s | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Display: Asus VG248 24in. 144Hz 1ms 

Well, you are going for a black and red theme build, and for that I would choose the H440. But if you need to have those 5.25" drives, I would actually get the 780T. It's priced the same as the 760T.

Neither of the two. Get the Enthoo Luxe. xD

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

Get the H440 for a black+red themed build, but don't expect exceptional airflow...

It's meant to be a quieter case, the 760T has many more fan mounting and airflow configuration options.

That case is boring and overused.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Basically H440 vs. 760T for x99 system?

the H440 is fine for air cooling/AIO usage. you won't notice any lag in air flow as

mid-tower to a super/full tower. if at any time of your usage custom water cooling

will be considered, the 760T would be a better choice to suit a future SLI upgrade

but here is the deal-breaker. the H440 can accept an ATX X99 board just fine, but

E-ATX will be another story: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117203-unofficial-ltt-nzxt-h440-owners-club/?p=1564216 if you find a

different mobo choice.

Well, you are going for a black and red theme build, and for that I would choose the H440. But if you need to have those 5.25" drives, I would actually get the 780T. It's priced the same as the 760T.

Hmm, I'll see if I can get a 780t soon, I don't think I could.

Can't seem to find any atm

Get the H440 for a black+red themed build, but don't expect exceptional airflow...

It's meant to be a quieter case, the 760T has many more fan mounting and airflow configuration options.

That case is boring and overused.

different mobo choice.

Oh okay, read maybe 2 pages of the thread. I am a new builder so I guess if I do upgrade to a E-ATX mobo anytime soon (i highly doubt I would need to upgrade a processor soon) and if I do water cooling, I'll have to buy a new case. How friendly is the H440 to build in? Luckily the evga1000G2 psu has red sleeving for the cables :)

Specs: Case: NZXT H440 ] CPU: I7-5960x | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 AIO | MOBO: ASUS Rampage V  | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970  | RAM: Gskill Ripjaw 4 16GB 2133Mhz DDR4 kit | PSU: EVGA 1000G2 | SSD (Boot): Samsung 850pro 128GB | HDD (mass storage): WD 1TB Blue 7200RPM  | SDD (Working Drve): Samsung 850 evo 500GB | Keyboard: Logitech G510s | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Display: Asus VG248 24in. 144Hz 1ms 

How friendly is the H440 to build in?

it is a great case to build in, has its hitches, though. the PSU cover in not removable,

and with that ginormus PSU, planning PSU install might make the build a bit longer.

a regular ATX build up for a novice will take some time, doing some steps over and

over, but i wouldn't fret, it is about the process and planning to get it all shoehorned

into the chassis.

the LED wiring and fan hub have many stumped, but eventually, it is figured out.

yes, inevitably, if you decide to go E-ATX a different case would be a better attack.

it is a great case to build in, has its hitches, though. the PSU cover in not removable,

and with that ginormus PSU, planning PSU install might make the build a bit longer.

a regular ATX build up for a novice will take some time, doing some steps over and

over, but i wouldn't fret, it is about the process and planning to get it all shoehorned

into the chassis.

the LED wiring and fan hub have many stumped, but eventually, it is figured out.

yes, inevitably, if you decide to go E-ATX a different case would be a better attack.

Alright then I guess if I upgrade later on to an e-ATX mobo while going custom loop, i'll opt for a bigger case. And yeah I will have to plan it out, most of the parts should fit in, i am working on the carpet and don't have a anti static wrist band, would touching the case be suffice? As well in your experience should I install the psu with all the relevant connectors connected first? I hear cable management is easy on the case?  Also would you suggest me to plug the fans in onto the mobo or just use the fan splitter? are the fans loud at 100%? Also do I need to get pressure optimized fans, are the system difference big? I guess 5-6 hours for a first build is normal? I really hope all goes well and posts!!! I probably need a wired mouse and keyboad in the bios huh?

H440 is easy to build in. Fro. My experience however the h440 has terrible airflow. The temps arent bad, you will have no issues with overheating. The only concern I had was having the hot air being pushed out of the case. It would sometimes take several minutes for my processor to go back to idle temps after playing a game. It has more than enough room for your x61, I had one installed in there. I used the stock fans and was getting like 82c at full load on a 4790k @ 4.5ghz. Not too bad but again I wish the air would dispel quicker. Now I use an enthoo pro and love it. Temps are about 7c lower at load and the airflow is great.

As for your question, I wouldn't really compare the 2 cases considering the price difference. The 760t is a bigger case with more room to work with. It was the case I was originally going to buy until I saw the orange h440. I guess if you new the optical bays go with the 760t, but if you're going for looks get the h440. Either one will be fine as long as you aren't going for a crazy overclock.

i am working on the carpet and don't have a anti static wrist band, would touching the case be suffice? - YES

As well in your experience should I install the psu with all the relevant connectors connected first? - you can, but i'd get the CPU/MOBO/RAM in first (don't drag feet).

I hear cable management is easy on the case? - YES, it is

Also would you suggest me to plug the fans in onto the mobo or just use the fan splitter? - make it the easiest on first and then pretty up the loose stuff.

are the fans loud at 100%? Also do I need to get pressure optimized fans, are the system difference big?- build first, worry about details later

I guess 5-6 hours for a first build is normal? - can be, but doubtful it'll take that long.

I probably need a wired mouse and keyboard in the bios huh? - best is to dry fire the CPU/MOBO/RAM outside the case (knowing the system is ready to POST)

If you're looking for a case with great expandability and plenty of room to build in you should be fine the 760T. I was considering getting myself the H440 but ended up going for the 760T because I needed the extra airflow and was tired of mid-towers with restricted room for work, I wanted to go big in case I needed to upgrade down the road, besides I use optical drives.

The build quality is ok, it's not like it will break installing your components.

if you go with the H440 i'd suggest to go with Silverstone AP fans in the front. Airflow is choked a bit with the lak of side vents(only on the right side).

I'm switching my H440 for a 760t, for esthetic reasons only, plus I need a 5.25inch drive.

Overall, if you have the right intake fans and undervolt everything in the case, you will have a powerfull and silent(not quiet, silent) optimized computer.

if you go with the H440 i'd suggest to go with Silverstone AP fans in the front. Airflow is choked a bit with the lak of side vents(only on the right side).

I'm switching my H440 for a 760t, for esthetic reasons only, plus I need a 5.25inch drive.

Overall, if you have the right intake fans and undervolt everything in the case, you will have a powerfull and silent(not quiet, silent) optimized computer.

Have you switched the case yet, wanted to ask if you have any thermal differences?

If you're looking for a case with great expandability and plenty of room to build in you should be fine the 760T. I was considering getting myself the H440 but ended up going for the 760T because I needed the extra airflow and was tired of mid-towers with restricted room for work, I wanted to go big in case I needed to upgrade down the road, besides I use optical drives.

The build quality is ok, it's not like it will break installing your components.

Hey yeah I am a bit wary about temps since my gpu cooler is blowing air into the case...cpu should be fine in the AIO liquid cooler to keep cool. Also Overlocker.net Tim praised the 760t for build quality while linus said it flexed...will that be a big issue?

i am working on the carpet and don't have a anti static wrist band, would touching the case be suffice? - YES

As well in your experience should I install the psu with all the relevant connectors connected first? - you can, but i'd get the CPU/MOBO/RAM in first (don't drag feet).

I hear cable management is easy on the case? - YES, it is

Also would you suggest me to plug the fans in onto the mobo or just use the fan splitter? - make it the easiest on first and then pretty up the loose stuff.

are the fans loud at 100%? Also do I need to get pressure optimized fans, are the system difference big?- build first, worry about details later

I guess 5-6 hours for a first build is normal? - can be, but doubtful it'll take that long.

I probably need a wired mouse and keyboard in the bios huh? - best is to dry fire the CPU/MOBO/RAM outside the case (knowing the system is ready to POST)

Thanks for the reply, just waiting on the gpu now from NCIX, i should have the pc ready for building on Thursday night!! Going to purolater to pick up the ram and will go to canada computers to pick up the case (which ever is in stock, alot of people by the H440).

P.S. A question to all you, if I am installing an AIO rad at the top of either case, which would be better push or pull? Linus said in an old video push + pull isnt really helpful..

push for aesthetics, pull for ease of maintenance. both perform equally.

I don't think the flex of the case would be an issue with the 760T. Linus said he always expect the best quality from Corsair, and the full window panel design does require the case to have some flex since there's not too much metal in the side panels, it has flexibility but it is completely acceptable. It is a really solid case, it doesn't feel cheap or fragile.

push for aesthetics, pull for ease of maintenance. both perform equally.

I don't think the flex of the case would be an issue with the 760T. Linus said he always expect the best quality from Corsair, and the full window panel design does require the case to have some flex since there's not too much metal in the side panels, it has flexibility but it is completely acceptable. It is a really solid case, it doesn't feel cheap or fragile.

Okay, i guess I can consider this thread closed? I just picked up the red h440. Looks beautiful in person, though for future upgrade or water loops I'll definitely look into corsair and case labs. And i guess I should use the cpu AIO rad as an exhaust? There is no difference in temps right? 

..And i guess I should use the cpu AIO rad as an exhaust? There is no difference in temps right? 

AIO intake is cooler (using ambient air for cooling, rather than interior heated air),

but the roof of the H440 is not filtered. so either aftermarket filter(s) or exhaust.

the 3°-5° shouldn't be the deciding factor of thermal control. exhaust is what the

majority of users do.

AIO intake is cooler (using ambient air for cooling, rather than interior heated air),

but the roof of the H440 is not filtered. so either aftermarket filter(s) or exhaust.

the 3°-5° shouldn't be the deciding factor of thermal control. exhaust is what the

majority of users do.

Alright going for intake then...and damn i had to actually unscrew the thumbscrew, they were tight (thats what she said). But I noticed that around the screw hole, i can see metal, the paint seemed to flake off, shit I don't know if I did that? Shouldnt be a problem..