eBay And PayPal To Split Into Two Separate Companies

Ethnod

ebay-paypal-split.png?w=738

Well I am now more than ever convinced that eBay is on its way out. Pity for the many many workers that they have based in Ireland but its becoming more and more inevitable.

When you take this into account, the lovely write up here and then this main article? Seems that the board of directors has decided that they wanted to separate the two companies to ensure their “growth” more like they wanted to ensure that eBay would not take Paypal out along with it on its way out lol

Source:

http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/30/ebay-paypal-split/

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

I stopped using ebay after i had an "income" and could buy new parts xD

I still sell there tho :)

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I don't see eBay dying, am I missing something?

Ebay's user base has been shrinking, over the last couple of months they have been hit with Security issue after issue and now a very public lashing from the BBC which reveals that they have been suffering from security issues for over a year, massive ones.

Plus then you take into account the amount of scams over the last couple years and in general the public’s confidence in eBay and their user base is dwindling never mind that they are no longer the cheapest place to buy almost anything anymore and it points at a dubious future for eBay.

Maybe its just me but from what I see and read I cannot see them having a bright future. To be this seems like a rats and sinking ship situation.

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Ebay's user base has been shrinking, over the last couple of months they have been hit with Security issue after issue and now a very public lashing from the BBC which reveals that they have been suffering from security issues for over a year, massive ones.

Plus then you take into account the amount of scams over the last couple years and in general the public’s confidence in eBay and their user base is dwindling never mind that they are no longer the cheapest place to buy almost anything anymore and it points at a dubious future for eBay.

Maybe its just me but from what I see and read I cannot see them having a bright future. To be this seems like a rats and sinking ship situation.

I've seen those news too, but ebay not only is huge, it hosts a job for thousands and thousands of sellers that are very dedicated to it, don't mind that is the only hope of other countries to actually get stuff shipped. For example, amazon will rarely ship products to South America, specially tech ones, they all rely on eBay.

Also, according to the profit numbers they are very strong.  I don't think you should make up your mind that easily about a couple of news that only tech savvy people actually reads, and that can all be fixed easily before the year ends. They still own StubHub and Craigslist, now that paypal fused off it seems that things are not so well, but they are far from done.

Hopefully this means eBay won't be obsessed with Paypal. It always annoyed me to no end when I had something on my debit card, but not in Paypal. Because Paypal is god awful, a verification went weird so transfering funds from bank to paypal is a no go - that entire system is broken and needs to be overhauled asap. If this means Paypal will stop sucking and ebay is cool with cards then I'm all for it.

Hopefully this means eBay won't be obsessed with Paypal. It always annoyed me to no end when I had something on my debit card, but not in Paypal. Because Paypal is god awful, a verification went weird so transfering funds from bank to paypal is a no go - that entire system is broken and needs to be overhauled asap. If this means Paypal will stop sucking and ebay is cool with cards then I'm all for it.

The issue with using your Debit or Credit Card direct is that it offers basically no protection for the Seller. If someone buys with a Credit Card, and then they decide 'eff you' and request a reversal from the CC company, there's nothing eBay and/or the Seller can do about it.

At least with PayPal, they can't just automatically reverse charges. They have to basically file a claim and then PayPal/eBay will decide in someones favour.

No it's not a perfect system, but with the amount of people willing to dispute charges over things out of the sellers control (Such as shipping times or Customs Fees/Taxes). At my last job we sold a LOT of Industrial Automation components on eBay, and people would give us bad feedback or try and reverse charges all the time over things like Customs and Taxes.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

inb4 "eBay and PayPal were the same company?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

inb4 "eBay and PayPal were the same company?

Kinda sorta?

eBay bought PayPal. They were two separate entities but one had a controlling interest in the other. However, there was obviously extremely heavy integration between the companies. That integration is likely to stay, even if eBay sells PayPal or spins them off.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Mind blown

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Never mind that they are no longer the cheapest place to buy almost anything anymore.

Totally agree, why do sellers think they can get top dollar prices for used products. Sometimes buying a brand new product is only +5 - 10% more expensive.

I hate PayPal/Ebay fees. They are absolutely daft, Ebay charge you a fee when you sell, PayPal then charge you to receive your money. So basically dipped already. Then guess what? If you want to refund a person PayPal will charge you AGAIN!

Heres an example.

For a £5 item

Ebay Seller fee: 50p = £4.50

PayPal fee: 37p = £4.43

PayPal refund fee = 19p. Even though the Ebay fee is reversed all PayPal fees still apply if you refund, so you will lose some money.

The refund fee is the biggest kick of all.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

So will it be possible now to use Paypal on Amazon.What prevented the use of Paypal on Amazon before?

2500k 4.0ghz,GTX 1070 oc,MSI Z77A-GD55,G.SKILL Ripjaws(4 x 2GB)DDR3 1333,OCZ Arc 100 240gb,Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB,Corsair TX 750w v1,CoolerMaster HAF 912,Hyper 212 EVO

Good, paypal sucks ass.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I would love for both of them to die.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I hate PayPal/Ebay fees. They are absolutely daft, Ebay charge you a fee when you sell, PayPal then charge you to receive your money. So basically dipped already. Then guess what? If you want to refund a person PayPal will charge you AGAIN!

Heres an example.

For a £5 item

Ebay Seller fee: 50p = £4.50

PayPal fee: 37p = £4.43

PayPal refund fee = 19p. Even though the Ebay fee is reversed all PayPal fees still apply if you refund, so you will lose some money.

The refund fee is the biggest kick of all.

In the US Paypal refunds any of the fees if you refund money to a buyer. I've never had a fee when sending money back to people.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

ebay is the only place from where many people get computer component accessories such as usb 3.0 to 2.0 internal headers etc at cheap prices from china ,rather than paying a premium for such stuff in thier host country

Not so, I just bought 2x sound cards (bought specifically for my mic input) for $1.20 total inc delivery on Amazon

Ebay's profit is considerably larger than Amazon's, I don't know why anyone would think they're going anywhere soon. Plus accessible in more markets.

PayPal should've probably split a while ago, it still has huge potential for growth.

Didn't know that they were one single company to begin with :\

And I thought Amazon owned PayPal.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.