Project Minivalidus an X99 NCASE Build.

d33g33

Dude whens the next YouTube video coming?

Dude whens the next YouTube video coming?

Soon actually, I was just waiting on some vinyl which arrived today to close it out. 2 videos by the end of the week.

Soon actually, I was just waiting on some vinyl which arrived today to close it out. 2 videos by the end of the week.

Cool I love your videos 

• 1 month later...

So Asus fucked up.

The measurements for the 980 DON'T include the heatpipes.

The Asus 980 Strix won't fit in the M1 :wacko:

from

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041525138&postcount=15993

Fantastic... I'll have to buy a Titan X...

@MrSuperb its OK I can make it fit with some trickery :)

Fantastic... I'll have to buy a Titan X...

@MrSuperb its OK I can make it fit with some trickery :)

cutting off the heatpipe? :D

or to you think some sort of pcie riser could help you out?

also I thought you want to go the watercooling route.

would the 980 fit with a standard waterblock, considering the pcb is already quite large and the connections for the wc loop would add even more?

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Looking forward to seeing what the silhouette kicks out :)

Great toys. 

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

cutting off the heatpipe? :D

or to you think some sort of pcie riser could help you out?

also I thought you want to go the watercooling route.

would the 980 fit with a standard waterblock, considering the pcb is already quite large and the connections for the wc loop would add even more?

Using a riser and flipping the card would make for super easy fitment but would remove any possibility for dual radiator water cooling. The only waterblocks that fit are ones designed specifically for the 980 Strix, while I haven't received mine yet in 99% sure they will be too tall for the case the same as the heat pipes. No problems. Cut it down to fitment, drill some holes out the top of the channels and glue on a section with G1/4 thread. Easy :) or if a MARS comes out with dual 970's or a GTX990 shut up and take my money.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, just touching base to let you know I haven't disappeared. 

Originally when I started this project I wanted to fit the X79 board that came out in the shuttle which was an oversized ITX board or DTX. It would have needed some serious mod work but it would have been AWESOME regardless, I couldn't find one so I gave up and decided to go Z97.

On the 13th of March that changed.

If you're unaware Asrock announced the Asrock X99E-ITX/ac the worlds first x99 ITX motherboard. This day, the project halted.

I always wanted this NCASE to be insane, show up at LANs knowing it could go toe-to-toe with full sized ATX machines with the motherboard release that will now be possible.

The Motherboard should be availible any day now, though in Australia retailers are indicating the end of May. CPU choice currently will be a 5820k just due to the funding loss that will happen with hocking off the z97 gear for x99. Hopefully with the Broadwell-E refresh we may see an 8 core K (or C) part or I might be able to push the funds for a 6960X (if it exists) Almost everything will get changed, motherboard, CPU, Memory, SSD and CPU Cooler. If a dual GPU card gets rumoured then bet your bottom dollar i'll be grabbing that way as well, even if it is a MARS.

I am really excited about this motherboard coming out and allowing me to build the NCASE up as I have always wanted. A lot of people question the board as a waste and I do see their point of view but this board is a bit unique and should be looked at from a different angle. No you cant use all the PCI lanes which is the benefit of X99 boards and no you cant stack it full 8 sticks of memory. But the SOC only takes 4 slots of mem and no one seems to be having any opinions on the waste it is 'because its an OCing board'. Basically even with the things the chipset has the capability of doing but this board doesn't let you do you CAN put an 18core Xeon in there if you have the funds and you CAN put 2x16gb DDR4 Dimms in there. You can also utilize the full PCIE 3.0x 16 slot and an M.2 PCIE drive. That's why im so excited about this board.

It will raise challenges requiring custom mounting for the slimmer CPU socket design and squeezing dual 240mm radiators into such a small case but, that's what dremels are for right.

Hopefully the board will come sooner than the end of May but that's what we're waiting on :D and that's where the project is.

Revised hardware;

Asrock X99E-ITX/ac

2x8gb DDR4  initially, hopefully change to 2x16gb as availability and compatibility improves.

SSD Samsung NVME 256gb + 2x 1tb Samsung Evo SSD's

GPU yet to be announced 

So this is like balls to the wall but through the wall?

wow man this thing is gonna be cool, nice choice of components and finally someone has got a M.2 ssd for there o/s

good job

got to love Asus components

wow man this thing is gonna be cool, nice choice of components and finally someone has got a M.2 ssd for there o/s

good job

I have an M.2 SSD for my OS now its based off sata3 interface so its essentially the same as a 2.5" sata3 SSD (560mb/s reads/520mb/s writes) nothing special there.

The new one will be the new m.2 Samsung disk will be base on NVMe and PCIE rather than AHCI and sata so should see similar results to the 2400mb/s reads and 1200mb/s writes that the Intel 750 is reporting. :D

The cpu cooling on that motherboard is going to be interesting to see. Asrock going with the narrow ILM rather than the standard square size is great for finally fitting X99 onto an ITX board, but no one is going to own coolers that fit. It comes with an air cooler, and includes a water cooling mounting plate in the box that's "Compatible with Cooler Master Seidon 120V Plus/120V CPU Coolers." However, my most interesting find is that EK sell a mounting plate for the supremacy to fit narrow ILM motherboards.

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/blocks/professional-solutions/cpu-blocks/mounting-plate-supremacy-lga-2011-narrow-ilm.html

... You could build the first custom watercooled X99 ncase M1.

The cpu cooling on that motherboard is going to be interesting to see. Asrock going with the narrow ILM rather than the standard square size is great for finally fitting X99 onto an ITX board, but no one is going to own coolers that fit. It comes with an air cooler, and includes a water cooling mounting plate in the box that's "Compatible with Cooler Master Seidon 120V Plus/120V CPU Coolers." However, my most interesting find is that EK sell a mounting plate for the supremacy to fit narrow ILM motherboards.

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/blocks/professional-solutions/cpu-blocks/mounting-plate-supremacy-lga-2011-narrow-ilm.html

... You could build the first custom watercooled X99 ncase M1.

Yea i've seen that from EK. The issue I potentially have is if I go EK then I need to put a pump somewhere rather than having a CPU/block combo that would come in the S24 Kelvin option. This build will need to be calculated in millimeters for it all to come together as planned. I'll get there :)

I'm almost tempted to get a MORA and strap dual D5's to it! :P  Maybe both so it can run self contained but also expanded with the MORA if I so desire...

first review: http://www.techspot.com/review/992-asrock-x99e-itx-ac/

pretty impressive to have such a small system with so much computing power :)

Nice!

Anyone notice the battery?

They were literally so tight on space they lifted the CMOS battery off to save a few mm

wYfCWIw.jpg

It makes me giddy.

Why cant I get my hands on this already! :)

Its hard to mock up a lot of parts until I get he board mounted and start making measurements. Because of such tight tolerances 'guestimates' are in no way an option.

I'm really curious as to what thermal complications i'm going to run into.

so apparently Linus already has one :)

SD3Sn8X.jpg

oz9injz.jpg

edit:

also that is the Silverstone SG13 (11.5 litres case)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log