Project Minivalidus an X99 NCASE Build.

d33g33

Oh I managed to catch up! Well, now seems like a good time to finally get notifications about the build, seeing as you're starting the painting ;)

Really finding the whole graphics card waterblock thing quite interesting, so good luck with getting that solved! (so close!)

Oh I managed to catch up! Well, now seems like a good time to finally get notifications about the build, seeing as you're starting the painting ;)

Really finding the whole graphics card waterblock thing quite interesting, so good luck with getting that solved! (so close!)

Yet so far :P

Well all painted, I also did the heatsinks.

It was really hard, not sure if just because its really fiddley or the paint I was using but it was really hard to get the paint in some areas, im blaming the crowded motherboard though.

Its a far from perfect job but, it will be a damn sight better than bright blue and right now thats good enough. 

Ill let it cure overnight before unmasking and taking some photos.

I hope the heatsinks come out looking good!

So here's some photos of the paint, really transformed the look of the motherboard.

Hopefully you can ignore some places that clearly need touchups and the blue coming through from inside the dimm slots, obviously that wont be visable when the slots are populated with mem.

Really happy with how the heatsinks came out :) Though flake is always a bit tricky to photograph...

naXUhYw.jpg

mqXdczh.jpg

ekJa8TU.jpg

Have you considered moving the fans to the bottom of the case? Like below the floor panel? Maybe cut out the grille so the airflow through the rad is better but leave the mounting holes?

Have you considered moving the fans to the bottom of the case? Like below the floor panel? Maybe cut out the grille so the airflow through the rad is better but leave the mounting holes?

It's been suggested 100 times, I wont do it.

It's been suggested 100 times, I wont do it.

Seems like it would be better to do that instead of milling down a perfectly good block and rad. But that's what makes it interesting right?

F**k this, nothing fits.

I dunno what to do.

Now the fittings form the block stick out too far so i'd never get the side panel on anyway.

Devastated.

If I had the money I'd just go 980Ti (reference) new waterblock and darkside radiator, but I dont have the money so. I dunno. 

F**k this, nothing fits.

I dunno what to do.

Now the fittings form the block stick out too far so i'd never get the side panel on anyway.

Devastated.

If I had the money I'd just go 980Ti (reference) new waterblock and darkside radiator, but I dont have the money so. I dunno. 

that sucks, time to cut into the side panel 6CbxaPc.jpg

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I'm going to ditching the bottom radiator and just going with the Kelvin pending temp results, I also wont be able to refit the side panel.  

I'm doing this because I need the machine up and running for Fallout 4 :)

I'll re-asses if a dual GPU card comes out or Pascal...

All my x99 parts are coming in today and the rest of the ddr4 is coming Thursday so I'll be ready for blackops 3 and fallout 4!! Im sooooo hyped for fallout 4

Well, I've had some dark days.

TBH I almost threw in the towel and go to a CaseLabs Nova or something, this build had defeated me.

I'm glad to share however, 

WE GOT THERE!

Boom! Look at that straight as an arrow, with ample clearance!

bLu3Ghr.jpg

So how?

Well,

I cut the entire bottom shroud of of the radiator out, shaved down the frame of the fans and squeezed them in.

x0Jd7jW.jpg

ryBOks4.jpg

1izF0Ml.jpg

Getting down on it you can now see the amount of space there is between the majority of the block and the radiator, obviously the waterblock component is pretty close but it isn't touching.

GSGA6Z2.jpg

Super, super happy with this result!

Now time to get the radiator painted up nice again, finish the modified CPU mount and we're on the home stretch!

Nice build and I like your perseverance and willing to continue despite all obstacles. I feel your pain about trying to fit rads on the bottom of that case. I owned an M1 for a very brief time and I wanted to use my slick looking silver XSPC AX radiator in there but it was too thick to fit together with the GPU.

I really wanted to use that radiator so I just sold the case :< It's not a bad case but I so didn't want to just cover the side panel with the rad and hide the motherboard components from view.

Congratulations! I see the hard work and hours of head scratching paid off!

Quick question, will the bare metal on the radiator and waterblock get a light coat of paint just to hide the rough-ness? Maybe a tad bit of sanding on the edges of the rad at the least?  :P

Nice build and I like your perseverance and willing to continue despite all obstacles. I feel your pain about trying to fit rads on the bottom of that case. I owned an M1 for a very brief time and I wanted to use my slick looking silver XSPC AX radiator in there but it was too thick to fit together with the GPU.

I really wanted to use that radiator so I just sold the case :< It's not a bad case but I so didn't want to just cover the side panel with the rad and hide the motherboard components from view.

Yea I hear ya, i'm putting effort in to dress up the motherboard which will pretty much be entirely covered up anyway. It seems like a waste of effort but, ill know...

Impressive.... I'd have just given up and had the rad outside the case :P

Oh some days I really wanted to give up...

Congratulations! I see the hard work and hours of head scratching paid off!

Quick question, will the bare metal on the radiator and waterblock get a light coat of paint just to hide the rough-ness? Maybe a tad bit of sanding on the edges of the rad at the least?  :P

radiator is definitely getting painted, not sure about the GPU block. You can really notice it and I don't want to inhibit the cooling anymore than I already have, but then if i've gone thsi far, why not?

We'll see.

I don't want to even imagine the amount of work it took to make the radiator fit.

Check out my YouTube channel here and don't forget to subscribe :D

Current build: Project Athena

I don't want to even imagine the amount of work it took to make the radiator fit.

Just get larger case feat and put the fans on the outside they said, ha! Showed them. :P

Just get larger case feat and put the fans on the outside they said, ha! Showed them. :P

Please forgive me o'wise one. I shall never question your wisdom again.

Check out my YouTube channel here and don't forget to subscribe :D

Current build: Project Athena

Please forgive me o'wise one. I shall never question your wisdom again.

I think persistence and a lot of luck got me through this one, there was nothing wise about it. Just stubborness. 

I think persistence and a lot of luck got me through this one, there was nothing wise about it. Just stubborness. 

but it looks and is badass so i call it a win :P

So time to tackle another niggle.

If you're familiar with the ASRock X99E-ITX you know it doesn't use the standard 2011(2011-3) mounting pattern which is  90x90mm, instead it uses a slim ILM mount usually found in servers, that's 100x75mm.

Because of this I had to modify the standard mounting hardware that came with the Kelvin S24. I thought I could get away with using the AMD mounting hardware which to my eye looks like its drilled for 100mmx70mm, so close, just enough to be a pain in the ass.

Having no issues with cutting up the AMD mounts I cut out the sides of the mount and then just used some aluminium plate across the top. Simple, but we don't need to make it more complicated than it has to be...

It's not pretty at the moment, (and I actually got it so hot while cutting it melted the paint on the stock bracket and imprinted into my plastic table) but a bit of black rattlecan should have it blending in nicely, also I think a decent job for a dremel and hand file.

ZVe9tWY.jpg

UMrprvF.jpg