Gtx 750ti to 970

lucien303
Go to solution Solved by CaffienatedBovine,

It sounds like you might be outgrowing your computer. It may be time for a new system entirely. :)

I know that's not what you were asking, just thought I'd mention it.

Hi there i need some help my machine is a dell stock really good one though its got one P.C.I.E slot for one graphics card its currently running on an 750ti witch is getting past so im thinking 970 its cheap for such power im am definitely going with it so my question is it recomends 500w but my machine runs on a 460w but it (I think) doesent use al that power the machine runs of 12gb ddr3 ram a i7 4gen 4790 and a 2tb hard drive and an optical drive so i don't know if it will works so yeah that's my question and if I have to upgrade my power supply will it work with the other dell components it is located in the top of the case so yeah help

I'd buy a new PSU just to be safe. You can get an 80+ Bronze 500-600w PSU from EVGA or Corsair for around $30, which is worth it to protect your investment.

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

it's ok but if you overclock do not overclock a lot just a little to be safe. But what is you power supply?

Planned I Hope Someday I Do First Build: CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133Mhz Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD & 2TB WD Green Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 970 4GB Turbo Case: NZXT S340 White PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22" Monitor

Your system will handle a 970. Though you may have to avoid any kind of overclocking. But you might as well get a new power supply first. One less thing to worry about. 

It sounds like you might be outgrowing your computer. It may be time for a new system entirely. :)

I know that's not what you were asking, just thought I'd mention it.

I would go for an 80+ certified 500 watt or more psu just for peace of mind.

the 970 has a TDP of only 145 watts... unless overclocked. I would maybe go 550-600 watts (80+ certification is important). that will last you forever so its worth the investment.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Should have said 750ti vs 970. 750ti is way better cause it only consumes 60watts. 970 takes 145watts to run. Winner 750ti LOL.

Should have said 750ti vs 970. 750ti is way better cause it only consumes 60watts. 970 takes 145watts to run. Winner 750ti LOL.

are you a moron? a 970 is waaay better. like miles ahead... it has a higher corecount, higher frequency, wider memory bus, more vram, faster vram....

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

are you a moron? a 970 is waaay better. like miles ahead... it has a higher corecount, higher frequency, wider memory bus, more vram, faster vram....

Are you are Troll ? Don't answer that is was rhetorical LOL. Course we know that the 970 is better I was clearly JK ;-)

Are you are Troll ? Don't answer that is was rhetorical LOL. Course we know that the 970 is better I was clearly JK ;-)

all you do is joking around all day long and confusing other users so i'd suggest you call it a day and go play on another forum!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

all you do is joking around all day long and confusing other users so i'd suggest you call it a day and go play on another forum!

Just using the fanboy metric of lower power consumption as the defacto determining factor of superiority. I remember one time when a fanboy was trying to recommend a 750ti over an R9 280 because he though it was much better because of Power consumption/Performance LOL

thanks guys really appreciate it but im still not sure the psu cant be replaced its a custom shape for the case its like half prism half circular base prism so i might just get a new case and moove it all into that one with a new power supply that will fit the case thanks guys really appreciate it apart from the little rant about whose better than who cheers