GTX 480 fan wiring "schematics"

flibberdipper

I am really curious to see how loud the GTX 480's fan is in person, but I have no way of testing it. So I butchered one of my 12v fan adapters and took off the shroud. But now I have no idea which wire is which on my 480. So... Any pictures that you can find would be really helpful, or if you can describe the wires well. I wasn't able to find any pictures or descriptions, but I'm in a rush right now to get my homework done anyway.

Main rig on profile

Zephyrus - Windows 7 side rig

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 4820K, 1x8GB ADATA XPG V1.0 (1600MHz CL9), Asus Sabertooth X79, 240GB Kingston UV400, 1TB Toshiba 2.5", EVGA GTX 960 SC, Enthoo Pro, Corsair CX750M, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Mac Mini (Late 2014)

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 4278U, 8GB RAM, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO, macOS Monterey, Logitech G305 K/DA, Logitech MX Keys for Mac, ViewSonic VX2748 (last two shared with main PC)

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X 1TB (technically retired now), Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 2TB, Nintendo Switch OLED

Aren't they color coded? Pictures would help since they are different from brand to brand..

Usually the red wire is (+) and the black is (-). On pwm fans theres a third color for the modulation usually yellow.. i think? It varies dude...

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

You actually need help with something? SOUND THE ALARM, THE END IS NIGH!

Seriously... I thought you were like, one of the most knowledgeable people here.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Seriously... I thought you were like, one of the most knowledgeable people here.

No he just spends way to much time here....

Aren't they color coded? Pictures would help since they are different from brand to brand..

Usually the red wire is (+) and the black is (-). On pwm fans theres a third color for the modulation usually yellow.. i think? It varies dude...

Nope. All black.

I just know a lot about certain things. With all black wires though, things are tough.

Look for a 480 teardown vid and look at the fan wires in the vid and match yours to them

That would do no good since I think they're all black wires on pretty much every reference 480 out there.

No he just spends way to much time here....

ssshhhhh, bad boy.

Main rig on profile

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 4820K, 1x8GB ADATA XPG V1.0 (1600MHz CL9), Asus Sabertooth X79, 240GB Kingston UV400, 1TB Toshiba 2.5", EVGA GTX 960 SC, Enthoo Pro, Corsair CX750M, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Mac Mini (Late 2014)

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 4278U, 8GB RAM, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO, macOS Monterey, Logitech G305 K/DA, Logitech MX Keys for Mac, ViewSonic VX2748 (last two shared with main PC)

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X 1TB (technically retired now), Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 2TB, Nintendo Switch OLED

Nope. All black.

Not a problem mate... in that case what you have to do is commonly reffered to ''trial and error'' lol. But in all seriousness just try until the fan spins in the right direction.... had to do the same thing with my darn corsair case fan ( also all black wiring)

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Not a problem mate... in that case what you have to do is commonly reffered to ''trial and error'' lol. But in all seriousness just try until the fan spins in the right direction.... had to do the same thing with my darn corsair case fan ( also all black wiring)

trial and error seems to be the only thing you can do 

I'm just really paranoid about killing the fan.

Main rig on profile

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2014)

Spoiler

shouldn't be possible... either it spins or it don't. Just maybe don't touch the two powered wires together :P

Chances are

It spins correct

It spins backwards

It doesnt spin at all. At least that would be my thought.

are they PWM bae? then you only have to slightly worry about applying too much to the modulation wire. its trial and error, if you mix + and 0 youll be fine. if you put it on PWM, it just wont spin

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

shouldn't be possible... either it spins or it don't. Just maybe don't touch the two powered wires together :P

I touched them together. :D Power brick just made a high pitched sound. All good. That fucker is loud at 12v, holy balls.

Chances are

It spins correct

It spins backwards

It spun really fast. ;)

Thanks for making me get the balls to wing it.

Main rig on profile

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2014)

Spoiler

I touched them together. :D Power brick just made a high pitched sound. All good. That fucker is loud at 12v, holy balls.

It spun really fast. ;)

Thanks for making me get the balls to wing it.

Well, most electric motors with 3 wires have the possibility of forward/backwards/nospin at least to my knowledge. Was it loud?

Well, most electric motors with 3 wires have the possibility of forward/backwards/nospin at least to my knowledge. Was it loud?

Yes, and the airflow was godly. Time for a high airflow bracket from EVGA.

Main rig on profile

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2014)

Spoiler

Yes, and the airflow was godly. Time for a high airflow bracket from EVGA.

Lol I just want to be able to stick two 120mm noctua 3000rpm fans into a card.

Chances are

It spins correct

It spins backwards

Actually no. It wont spint backwards when you reverse the power applied. Brushless DC motors dont do that. It will either do nothing or it will fry. The latter usually happens.

If you apply power to the RPM sense pin watch out for the magic smoke. I've tried it before. The fan was fine but the sensor was toast.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

Actually no. It wont spint backwards when you reverse the power applied. Brushless DC motors dont do that. It will either do nothing or it will fry. The latter usually happens.

If you apply power to the RPM sense pin watch out for the magic smoke. I've tried it before. The fan was fine but the sensor was toast.

That...doesn't make any sense because it's DC, Direct current, so it should spin backwards

Only brushed DC motors do that. Brushless DC motors (found in most things nowadays) wont do that except if it has additional circuitry that will make it go backwards. But generally, apply reverse voltage and it fries

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

They are loud at full speed why did you just use MSI afterburner or something and put it to 100% -_-