GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Quit Posting

Jonathan Yonke
Recently we have had quite a few power fluctuations in my area, and I decided to install a UPS in my server rack. I had an old Eaton Powerware 5125-1500 with 1 EBM that I replaced the batteries on, and yesterday I decided to install. Funny enough, about 1 hour before I went down to shut everything down the power cycled on in the house. Everything seemed to come up and be in working order, and I had no issues shutting down both my ESXi host, and my Unraid box (the GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 is housed in it). I pulled the old rack mounted 1U PDU's out, installed a new 0U Blackbox PDU, and installed the UPS with the EBM. ESXi host powered up fine, Unraid box just flashes LED's on the front for a split second and then nothing. The fans spin up, for a second, then nothing. I have to switch the PSU off/on to even replicate the symptoms. 

Unraid Box Setup

Norco 4020

GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3

Intel Celeron G530

16GB Corsair DDR3

Antec ECO 620

I have been through quite a few troubleshooting steps.

1. Tested PSU with cheap eBay tester - passed.

2. Swapped a new Rosewill 620W PSU - no difference

3. Reseated Ram - no difference

4. Swapped RAM for a single stick of Avexir (sp?) - no difference

5. Pulled the front panel header wires off, tried a jumper wire to initiate post - no difference

6. Swapped a spare AMD AM3 mobo/cpu in and booted up successfully.

Thoughts.

1. The UPS I have claims pure sine wave, and both PSU have active PFC. The ESX host is a Dell C1100 so I cannot confirm if its PSU is or is not. I dont have a ton of experience with UPS's, and the model I am using is older. I am hoping I do not have an incompatibility and it fried the Unraid box. 

2. I tried the Unraid box on both wall power and the UPS and it had the same issues/symptoms. 

3. I am leaning towards a new supermicro mobo/CPU combo, but what I don't want is to damage those if anyone things it is a UPS issue.

Any thoughts?

Main: ASRock Z77E-ITX | Intel 2500K @ 4.6GHz | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX460 | Corsair Force 3 128GB SSD | WD RE3 500GB | Corsair CX600 PSU | Win 8.1 Pro | Lian Li PCQ-08 | Corsair H60

i think that maybe your new ups is being over loaded with the servers and try plugging it all in without one and each device on by one and check that your total wattage does not exceed that of the ups

That was a thought, but according to the PDU the entire rack is using around 3.0 amps (~360 watts). On top of that the UPS setup I have is rated for 1340 watts, and had alerts for overload. I am really leaning towards a freak occurrence and the motherboard just took a dump. I plugged in the an older rackmount Untangle firewall appliance I built a few years ago, and it has been up and running without issue. I also plugged in a few power supplies to the PDU along with cheap testers to power them on, and they fired right up without issue. Then finally I used those PSU's to power the AMD system I had sitting around, and attempt to power the potentially failed system. AMD system fired right up, nothing from the Intel Z68 one. 

Main: ASRock Z77E-ITX | Intel 2500K @ 4.6GHz | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX460 | Corsair Force 3 128GB SSD | WD RE3 500GB | Corsair CX600 PSU | Win 8.1 Pro | Lian Li PCQ-08 | Corsair H60