Z97 PLX worth it?

Cyier
Go to solution Solved by 79wjd,

If you decide to get a new board (changing form factors) then get a 4690k/4790k and a z97 board. But seeing as you already have a Haswell i7, you should just get the cheapest SLI supporting board. Oh, and theres no reason to spend that much on a board....An Asus Maximus Hero VII is more than enough for any two-way config....hell, even an MSI Z97 G55 SLI ($120) is just as good, just with lesser onboard audio.

Current gpus won't saturate x8 anyway.

I am thinking about upgrading from my z87 ITX board to an z97 ATX gaming build, in prep for gaming on 27-30" monitors in the next 6 months.  One of the things I am having difficulty with deciding on is to spend the extra on a z97 motherboard with PLX for the x16 x16 SLI/Crossfire configuration or the normal x8 x8.  I have read on various forums that its not worth it at the time but if you plan to upgrade to 4k monitors it may.  I plan on using this for Star Citizen, various FPS and MMO's.  If you were going keep this gaming build for 4-5 and plan on gaming at 4k within 2 years would you go for a PLX motherboard or not?  Either way which motherboard's would you recommend for the best features for a top end of $400.  My CPU is a i7-4771 so overclocking isn't really an option.  

Thank you for your time and help with this question.  

If you decide to get a new board (changing form factors) then get a 4690k/4790k and a z97 board. But seeing as you already have a Haswell i7, you should just get the cheapest SLI supporting board. Oh, and theres no reason to spend that much on a board....An Asus Maximus Hero VII is more than enough for any two-way config....hell, even an MSI Z97 G55 SLI ($120) is just as good, just with lesser onboard audio.

Current gpus won't saturate x8 anyway.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Why would you upgrade? What are you trying to do? Motherboards have no performance numbers or attributes, simply things that they are compatible with and power delivery to all the connected parts. Basically, if your z87 mobo supports PCIE 3.0 and can do sli/crossfire at x8 and x8 speeds, and that speed does not bottleneck your GPU, then there is no advantage to going up to a Z97 for more PCIe bandwidth. Let me also say that PCIE 3.0 x8 is the same as PCIe 2.0 x16, and there are tons of AMD setups running SLI/Crossfire at PCIE 2.0 x16 (again, the same speed as PCIE 3.0x8) without hitting bottlenecks.

Basically, I don't think you're going to get any performance gain at all.\

edit: didn't see you had an ITX board. Yeah, SLI on that sucker is impossible.