Can i overclock my CPU and still use stock socket fan?

Swagowicz
Go to solution Solved by harrynowl,

Are you sure you can overclock this one? Almost none of the Pentiums except the G3258 are overclockable. And you could overclock your CPU if you had one with the stock cooler, but heat output would rise because, it's stock, obviously.

You can't overclock that CPU.

Back in the day you didn't use the multiplier to overclock. You had a base (usually between 6-11) and then the FSB and base frequency (800 = 200, 1066 = 266, 1333 = 333). Base / FSB was a 1:4 ratio so for 4.5GHz on a chip that came at 1333 FSB with a multi of 9 (so 3GHz stock) you'd go for 2000 FSB (500 on the bus).  Just felt like clearing that up as a lot of people aren't aware of this, multiplier OC only became 'relevant' as of Sandybridge (unlocked multipliers were pretty much extreme edition exclusive). So here is a locked Core2Duo E8400 @4.5GHz. We have this to thank for 'extreme oc/gaming' boards becoming a thing because back then it actually mattered when overclocking :P

ebi7ja.png

Anyway to answer the OPs question you can most likely do this on stock cooling unless your chip is a pig. I got my E2200 from 2.2GHz to 3GHz without any extra voltage. Your chip is on a multiplier of 11 and an FSB of 1066 (266 base speed). Simply go into the BIOS and tweak that 266 to 300. Then reboot into the system and stress test it. Keep an eye on temps too. ~65c is about as high as you want to go.

You're also in luck. E6500s were known to OC quite well. See the average OC on hwbot.

You'll also need to keep an eye on your RAM divider. A 1:1 ratio is the best but not always possible. Try adjusting either RAM frequency or divider (depends how sophisticated your BIOS is) to keep as close to spec as possible (e.g. 667mhz-800).

If you're lazy and want to OC via Windows there's a few things you could use. My nForce 680i SLI has a nVidia tuning tool, ASUS had a thing I believe and there's always the PLL (however that's more fuss than the BIOS).

I have Intel Pentium Dual-Core E6500 it has only 2.93 GhZ. I want to overclock it to like 3.3 GhZ. Can i still use stock fan when i will overclock it? My PSU is 400W. And whats the program name for overclocking CPU easier? Program comes with ASUS motherboards (like in disc or somethin). And its obviously made by ASUS. :P

Awesome site where you can get games cheap https://www.g2a.com/r/swagowicz

You could, however, it isn't recommended and you'll be running pretty high temps all/most of the time.

No. Always use an aftermarket cooler when overclocking.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Are you sure you can overclock this one? Almost none of the Pentiums except the G3258 are overclockable. And you could overclock your CPU if you had one with the stock cooler, but heat output would rise because, it's stock, obviously.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Then maybe i could overclock it to just 3 GhZ or somethin? Just push it a little bit.

Awesome site where you can get games cheap https://www.g2a.com/r/swagowicz

Then maybe i could overclock it to just 3 GhZ or somethin? Just push it a little bit.

It's probably locked. If so, you're out of luck.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Locked means you cant overclock it? It just resets back to default? 

Locked as in you can't do anything about it. You can't even move anything. It's locked.

Atleast get a closed watercooler loop. stock fan overclocking is like going full retard.

CPU: Intel Core i7 860 @ 3.5ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H60i / Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 /

RAM: 16gb 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance LP / GPU: EVGA GTX 780Ti / PSU: Corsair AX850 / OS: Windows 8.1 /

Storage: Boot Drive 128gb Crucial M4 SSD, 1.5TB WD Green / Case: Ultra Defender II White /

Monitors: 2x 23" Acer G235H's / Peripherals: 2013 Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Keyboard, 2013 Razer Deathadder Mouse /

Laptop: 17'' HP ENVY Touchsmart M7-J020DX ( i7 4700MQ, 1TB, 8GB Ram )

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Back in the day you didn't use the multiplier to overclock. You had a base (usually between 6-11) and then the FSB and base frequency (800 = 200, 1066 = 266, 1333 = 333). Base / FSB was a 1:4 ratio so for 4.5GHz on a chip that came at 1333 FSB with a multi of 9 (so 3GHz stock) you'd go for 2000 FSB (500 on the bus).  Just felt like clearing that up as a lot of people aren't aware of this, multiplier OC only became 'relevant' as of Sandybridge (unlocked multipliers were pretty much extreme edition exclusive). So here is a locked Core2Duo E8400 @4.5GHz. We have this to thank for 'extreme oc/gaming' boards becoming a thing because back then it actually mattered when overclocking :P

ebi7ja.png

Anyway to answer the OPs question you can most likely do this on stock cooling unless your chip is a pig. I got my E2200 from 2.2GHz to 3GHz without any extra voltage. Your chip is on a multiplier of 11 and an FSB of 1066 (266 base speed). Simply go into the BIOS and tweak that 266 to 300. Then reboot into the system and stress test it. Keep an eye on temps too. ~65c is about as high as you want to go.

You're also in luck. E6500s were known to OC quite well. See the average OC on hwbot.

You'll also need to keep an eye on your RAM divider. A 1:1 ratio is the best but not always possible. Try adjusting either RAM frequency or divider (depends how sophisticated your BIOS is) to keep as close to spec as possible (e.g. 667mhz-800).

If you're lazy and want to OC via Windows there's a few things you could use. My nForce 680i SLI has a nVidia tuning tool, ASUS had a thing I believe and there's always the PLL (however that's more fuss than the BIOS).

don't listen to the people that say it can't be overclocked. It can be. It has been proven time and time again that non-k CPUs can still be OCed. That being said, you shouldn't do it with your stock cooler. Of course all of this is only applicable if your motherboard allows you to change your Vcore. 

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

My E4400 went from 2Ghz+ to 3Ghz+ on the stock cooler, with extra voltage of course.

These are not the top tier chips anyway, so even @ stock clocks on stock cooling, their not hot at all.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz