How do I get rid of a fingerprint on my CPU? Does it even matter?

tehgray

My last part (my psu) comes tomorrow, so I said why not put together the test build outside the case so I can just get a headstart. Sigh..

Lever arm felt like it was going to snap when locking cpu in place, I'd be surprised if no pins are bent with the amount of force I used and number of times I took the cpu on and off to see if I placed it wrong or something.

But anyways, I have a bunch of fingerprints (oily hands I guess?) on the cpu and on the mobo. Should I clean this? And with what? How?

i74790k | Hyper 212 EVO |16gb 1600mhz Corsair Sport | Z97 Gigabyte Ga.G1 Sniper Motherboard | Gigabyte GTX 970 | 250GB 840 EVO | 3TB 7200RPM WD Black | Fractal Define R4 | Corsair K70 Red | Logitech G502 | Sennheiser HD598 + Fidelio X2 | Blue Yeti Microphone | Dell P2414h + Dell S2340m

Doesn't really matter, though it will come off with iso alc just like anything else will. It's a good idea to give your hands a good wash before touching your components to avoid this kind of thing. It's not really dangerous for the parts but if your like me and have really really oily skin it's basically a must to avoid making things gross.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

If you clean it, i should clean it wil ispropyl alcohol and some kind of toiletpaper or something. But make sure that no pieces toiletpaper are left behind. 

Good luck with your build anyways :)

Little wipe with Isopropyl Alcohol always helps. just make sure there are no fibers left over on the components.

Doesn't really matter, though it will come off with iso alc just like anything else will. It's a good idea to give your hands a good wash before touching your components to avoid this kind of thing. It's not really dangerous for the parts but if your like me and have really really oily skin it's basically a must to avoid making things gross.

Yeah...not really happy with myself atm.

it won't wreck the thermal paste when I put it on?

i74790k | Hyper 212 EVO |16gb 1600mhz Corsair Sport | Z97 Gigabyte Ga.G1 Sniper Motherboard | Gigabyte GTX 970 | 250GB 840 EVO | 3TB 7200RPM WD Black | Fractal Define R4 | Corsair K70 Red | Logitech G502 | Sennheiser HD598 + Fidelio X2 | Blue Yeti Microphone | Dell P2414h + Dell S2340m

S it won't wreck the thermal paste when I put it on?

No, I've never noticed any sort of issues, I tested it and after removing the paste several months later it all looked normal.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

S it won't wreck the thermal paste when I put it on?

The oils on your skin CAN inhibit the thermal paste from making full contact and transferring heat properly (meaning higher temps). Not sure how high of a likelihood this is, but it can happen. It's best to clean the fingerprint off.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

The cpu arm is supposed to feel like your going to snap the motherboard when you press it down, it holds the cpu in place really tightly. Other than that I think you should be fine, it's not a huge deal, but if you insist, clean it with rubbing alcohol and a coffee filter, you can use a paper towel but make sure there are no fibers left on the cpu.

The oils on your skin CAN inhibit the thermal paste from making full contact and transferring heat properly (meaning higher temps). Not sure how high of a likelihood this is, but it can happen. It's best to clean the fingerprint off.

Well said, same applies to water-based paints, believe it or not, during curing phase, it might leave an airpocket too and starts to wrinkle and bubble. That said, it might not distribute heat properly on the CPU, I would wipe it down with alcohol for the rest of mind.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)