Moto 360 users reporting latest update increases battery life by ~40%?

Ren

syHc3gV.png?1

Was just browsing reddit and noticed this topic (source): http://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidWear/comments/2hoa9q/360_latest_moto_360_update_has_dramatically/

Users here are reporting that their battery life has increased noticeably ever since the last Moto 360 update was released. From the sounds of comments, it's increased by maybe 40% across various scenarios.

(image is because quoting anything would be a bigger pain)

8t2oac8.png

I don't actually know if that's a significant enough improvement for anyone interested in buying one, or if that's even good enough compared to the competition. I will say that it's a step towards what people wanted if it actually is true. This is just some posts on reddit, I've yet to see any better discussion of it which is why I'm posting it here.

Hopefully more people come forward with their own reports, this could be good.

Edit: Bigger discussion post on reddit here - http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/2hpg0y/moto360_users_are_reporting_almost_double_the/

I'm sure Motorola will continue rolling out updates to patch issues, but at the end of the day, they are still using a pretty bad chipset. Who knows, perhaps they can make it work well enough for most people, but personally I'd wait for the second gen version.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

nice

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

That actually makes me interested in the device. Although it still a bit too expensive, when it drops a bit more I might pick one up

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Now transfer such battery efficiency to ordinary Android and it will be perfect. Good to hear that a software optimisation could do so much to address the small battery on the device as well as remove the lag. I guess it was expected since it is a new version of the OS as well as a new market. GG Google/Motorola!

Quite impressive. Good on you, Motorola!

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

now its time to buy this thing if the issue on the Screen wasn't so bad, but dont know how many devices are affected by the screen burn image.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Now transfer such battery efficiency to ordinary Android and it will be perfect. Good to hear that a software optimisation could do so much to address the small battery on the device as well as remove the lag. I guess it was expected since it is a new version of the OS as well as a new market. GG Google/Motorola!

Project Volta? :D

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

I'm sorry but isn't this kinda to be expected or am I crazy?

Interested in Business and Technology

Too bad they didn't release it perfect out of the gate. Perhaps they were afraid iWatch was coming to overshadow them but Apple did the smart thing and just waited. First mover advantage is overrated, the one that waits to improve usually ends up with the best result.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Too bad they didn't release it perfect out of the gate. Perhaps they were afraid iWatch was coming to overshadow them but Apple did the smart thing and just waited. First mover advantage is overrated, the one that waits to improve usually ends up with the best result.

I thought you were vehemently anti-Apple?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I feel like the main reason is the fact motorola is using such an old SOC - Android wear was most definitely not optimised for such older hardware, and considering the only people considering this are early adopters, they didn't think many sales would be lost. This is more of a showing that motorola are pretty decent at support.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

I thought you were vehemently anti-Apple?

Not really.

I don't like iOS and I would never buy an iPhone but that's not because I hate Apple that's because I just don't like the iOS experience (aside from the timely updates) and I always found iPhones to be too small. Coupled with the locked down OS it is running it always gave me this claustrophobic feeling. (Yeah they made it bigger but now it is too thin and iOS is still considerably more locked down than Android)

But I liked my iPad mini for what it did. I don't really use it much anymore ever since I bought my already-big-enough-to-be-a-small-tablet Note 3 and carrying both around is a burden. But I liked it while I used it.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Not really.

I don't like iOS and I would never buy an iPhone but that's not because I hate Apple that's because I just don't like the iOS experience (aside from the timely updates) and I always found iPhones to be too small. Coupled with the locked down OS it is running it always gave me this claustrophobic feeling. (Yeah they made it bigger but now it is too thin and iOS is still considerably more locked down than Android)

But I liked my iPad mini for what it did. I don't really use it much anymore ever since I bought my already-big-enough-to-be-a-small-tablet Note 3 and carrying both around is a burden. But I liked it while I used it.

So you're just reasonable then. What a breath of fresh air. You might be the only person on this forum that likes the Watch but doesn't like their other stuff.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Great news

might think about buying one just to try it out

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

well this is good. i know what i want for cristmas now :D 

too bad i dont have money for it :(

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

lol 40% increase with a patch ? magic fairy coded it or what ?

Remember how Chrome was supposed to get a mobile update where it stops doing that 1000 tick thing that drains the hell out of battery life or whatever?

I think this is similar.

Edit: @LinusTech maybe someone at LMG will be interested in picking one up and checking it out..? Wondering what your thoughts are on this anyway.

So you're just reasonable then. What a breath of fresh air. You might be the only person on this forum that likes the Watch but doesn't like their other stuff.

Sorry but I have not said I liked the watch. For one thing I didn't like the look of it, I prefer a round simple looking analog watch look. I have this exact same watch pictured below and I love this simple look.

11072287.jpg

Yet I can ignore the looks if the functionality is there. But there are still months until its release and there is no saying what it will end up like when it does release. What Apple showed at their events was the equivalent of a pre-rendered E3 trailer for a game. False hype until proven true when it eventually releases. I will wait and see how it ends up before I praise it or else.

Same with the Moto 360. Everyone jumped on board that this was the watch to get before it was released, I was more cautious about the whole deal. For me smartwatches in general are yet to pass the proof of concept stage. In their current stage I see no point in buying one. I actually waited for the Apple's presentation about the iWatch to find out what their interpretation would be, that's why I was sightly disappointed when they said next year.

That's what I meant by liked.

Yet I can ignore the looks if the functionality is there. But there are still months until its release and there is no saying what it will end up like when it does release. What Apple showed at their events was the equivalent of a pre-rendered E3 trailer for a game. False hype until proven true when it eventually releases.

Same with the Moto 360. Everyone jumped on board that this was the watch to get before it was released, I was more cautious about the whole deal. For me smartwatches in general are yet to pass the proof of concept stage. In their current stage I see no point in buying one. I actually waited for the Apple's presentation about the iWatch to find out what their interpretation would be, that's why I was sightly disappointed when they said next year.

There's a good chance the Watch is only temporarily tied to accessories. Also they're almost certainly hiding something big about it because there's a lot of missing info. It was a bit more than a teaser that they did on September 9th.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Now imagine what the battery life would have been like with this update and a proper SoC.

I think it's great that they managed to improve the battery life so much through software. But the update just makes the Moto 360 go from bad to mediocre.