Should I wait for the 980m

Hey guys, just wondering if I should buy a gaming laptop with an 880m in it now or wait for the 980m? I have a 2000 budget and I want to buy it before next year. Want it to play games on med-high for ~3-4 years. Thanks.

get a desktop don't bother with laptops for gaming 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

@SAV1OUR Yeah, I know that they're better. But portability is important to me, being a student, and yes I know that gaming laptops aren't that portable, but I have a 7lb one right now and I am used to carrying it so it's not a big deal.

beside the obvious get a desktop comment

yes, you should, rumors have suggested a 980m will essentially be a 970

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

beside the obvious get a desktop comment

yes, you should, rumors have suggested a 980m will essentially be a 970

Not exactly true, rumours have stated that the 980M will be around 35% faster than the 880M while using less power.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

@Saviour Yeah, I know that they're better. But portability is important to me, being a student, and yes I know that gaming laptops aren't that portable, but I have a 7lb one right now and I am used to carrying it so it's not a big deal.

your better off making a desktop and grabbing a laptop and focusing on school, also its a 1 not i 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

If you want to game, do it the right way and get a desktop. But if portability is a must then I would wait for the 980m for a few simple reasons. Gaming laptops tend to be thicker due to the power consumption and need for better cooling. The 9xx series uses A LOT less power and offers superb performance, so the smartest thing you could do is wait for the 980m and get a laptop on sale for Christmas. :)

880M is a 980M

800M series is maxwell.

edit: only some 800M cards are maxwell.

860M and greater is keplar

Gaming Rig: i5-3570k+H100i (4.3 ghz) | P8Z77-i Deluxe | MSI Twin Frozr 7950 Boost | HX650 | 1TB HGST | 840 Evo 250 GB

Any guesses as to whether it will be any cheaper like the 980 was compared to the 780ti?

Everything suggests that it should be cheaper but we can't be 100% sure of it until release date, but as I said, everything points to it being cheaper. But honestly since it's in a laptop it's worth the wait and money purely for being cooler and consuming a lot less (think of the battery life and heat). :)

I've had no luck with gaming laptops. The two that I've owned both gave me problems. One basically died on me not long after the warranty expired, the other one in even less time, and saw several warranty repairs. One was a gateway and the other was an ASUS ROG. Both were a  waste of money in my opinion, especially the ASUS. The gateway one was a lot cheaper, but it was also a lot weaker and would only marginally be classified as a gaming laptop.

Think of how hard it is to keep your GPU and CPU cool in a micro atx case, then imagine doing it the extremely tight airflow restricted confines of a laptop. Its just not made for hardcore gaming for hours on end. One solution is to make the laptop huge, which kind of defeats the purpose of a laptop, and its still an extremely restricted space. Another problem is that they offer a fraction of the gaming performance a desktop does at a huge price premium.

I will add that while im not hugely excited about the lower TDP of the desktop maxwells, viewing it as relatively unimportant and largely a sales gimmick to make up for not offering much better performance, I do think it would be way more useful and relevant in a gaming laptop, so if I HAD to get one I would wait for the 980.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

Ill also add that for 2000 you could build a desktop gaming monster complete with a liquid cooled 4790k and an r9 295x2 or SLI 970s that would destroy any game at 1080p, and even breeze through 1440p, AND you can upgrade it and it will be a lot more durable. That's why its so hard to justify a gaming laptop.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

I've done the gaming laptop thing in the past, and I don't think it's worth it. Build a nice desktop, get a cheap--but reliable--laptop, and call it a day. I can't imagine that you need to game in class or on breaks that badly. And if you do, then get a 3DS or a Vita and enjoy a different range of the gaming spectrum.

• 3 weeks later...

ive just ordered a clevo with dual 980m's, but i have to wait 2 weeks, metabox has the release date as 1st nov... :-(

Clevo P375SM-A / Intel Core i7 - 4940MX / Samsung 32Gb DDR3l 1.35v / Samsung 500Gb mSata / Samsung 1Tb mSata / Intel 7260 + BT / 3x Samsung 2Tb /  GeForce 980M SLi / 17" FullHD 90% NTSC + Samsung 28" LSU28D590DS/XY 3840x2160 1ms + 2x Samsung 22"S22A450BW 1680x1050 / Windows 7 Professional

U-Nas NSC-400 / Core i7 - 37400QM / Mushkin 8Gb DDR3 1.5v / Mushkin 240Gb mSata / Jetway NF9G-QM77 / Intel 6235 / 1x Western Digital 3Tb SE / 3x Western Digital 4Tb SE / 1x Western Digital 1Tb Blue / Windows 7 Professional

U-Nas NSC-400 / Core i7 - 37200QM / Mushkin 8Gb DDR3 1.5v / Mushkin 240Gb mSata / Jetway NF9G-QM77 / Intel 6235 / 1x Western Digital 3Tb SE / 3x Western Digital 4Tb SE / 1x Western Digital 1Tb Blue / Windows 7 Professional + xBox 360 as a Media Center

Clevo W230SS / Intel Core i7 - 4710MQ / Samsung 32Gb DDR3l 1.35v / Samsung 500Gb mSata / Samsung 1Tb mSata / Intel 7260 + BT / Samsung 2Tb / GeForce 860M / 13" FullHD 90% / Windows 7 Professional

ASUS ET2701INTI / Intel Core i7 3770S / Mushkin 8Gb DDR3 / Mushkin 480Gb mSata / nVidia GeForce 640M / 27" FullHD 10 Point MultiTouch / Windows 7 Professional

Asus G46VW / Intel Core i7 - 3610QM / 8Gb Kingston DDR3 1600 (1x 8Gb) / Biwin 64Gb mSATA / Biwin 240Gb / Geforce 660M / 14" / Windows 7 Professional

Still working on convincing her to let me get her a new Clevo W740SU
Not having any luck
But dont worry, ill convince her

Hey guys, just wondering if I should buy a gaming laptop with an 880m in it now or wait for the 980m? I have a 2000 budget and I want to buy it before next year. Want it to play games on med-high for ~3-4 years. Thanks.

Yes, please wait for the 980M, DO NOT BUY 880M CHIPS. PLEASE.

Edit: Guys, if you've got no experience outside in the last 3 years or so OR any experience outside of ASUS' ROG laptops, PLEASE do not talk about how laptop gaming is garbage and people should forget about it. If you don't like it, that's fine, but this guy asked if he should wait for the 980M or pull the trigger on the 880M. Which he SHOULD. Almost all of you told him to screw it and buy a desktop. Come on now people.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Ill also add that for 2000 you could build a desktop gaming monster complete with a liquid cooled 4790k and an r9 295x2 or SLI 970s that would destroy any game at 1080p, and even breeze through 1440p, AND you can upgrade it and it will be a lot more durable. That's why its so hard to justify a gaming laptop.

No you can't. You want to buy that + monitor + keyboard + mouse + wifi card + bluetooth + battery system + dvd drive + card reader slots + fingerprint reader (if applicable) etc and you suddenly find your price limit goes way down.

PLEASE DO NOT COMPARE THE TOWER AND ITS INTERNALS ALONE TO A LAPTOP WHICH CONTAINS MUCH MORE. Do an apples to apples comparison or your arguement is just not valid, please.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

No you can't. You want to buy that + monitor + keyboard + mouse + wifi card + bluetooth + battery system + dvd drive + card reader slots + fingerprint reader (if applicable) etc and you suddenly find your price limit goes way down.

PLEASE DO NOT COMPARE THE TOWER AND ITS INTERNALS ALONE TO A LAPTOP WHICH CONTAINS MUCH MORE. Do an apples to apples comparison or your arguement is just not valid, please.

That fan boy spasm. Also what the hell is a battery system? I assume you mean the power supply, LOL? it doesn't seem like you have any more of a valid argument than that guy.

Monitor: $300

Keyboard:$100

Mouse:$50

Wifi Card:$30

Bluetooth:Wifi Card may already have bluetooth.

Power Supply: $100

Dvd Drive:$20

Fingerprint Reader: I don't even..

You can up the prices up a bit more and add the 970 SLI + CPU and still have plenty of money left over from the $2k. Just saying.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

That fan boy spasm. Also what the hell is a battery system? I assume you mean the power supply, LOL? it doesn't seem like you have any more of a valid argument than that guy.

Monitor: $300

Keyboard:$100

Mouse:$50

Wifi Card:$30

Bluetooth:Wifi Card may already have bluetooth.

Power Supply: $100

Dvd Drive:$20

Fingerprint Reader: I don't even..

You can up the prices up a bit more and add the 970 SLI + CPU and still have plenty of money left over from the $2k. Just saying.

No, a battery. Like a UPS. You know, those things laptops have that are not their power supplies?

Also, $500 extra from his original spec, and he asked for liquid cooling on a i7-4790K. Money is a lot more tight now, no? I didn't add the $100 from your "power supply" to that $500 tally. You need to buy the tower and all its internals/cooling parts, then buy that $500 worth of gear. You also forgot a SD card reader in the cost.

No, a battery. Like a UPS. You know, those things laptops have that are not their power supplies?

Also, $500 extra from his original spec, and he asked for liquid cooling on a i7-4790K. Money is a lot more tight now, no? I didn't add the $100 from your "power supply" to that $500 tally. You need to buy the tower and all its internals/cooling parts, then buy that $500 worth of gear. You also forgot a SD card reader in the cost.

Like I said you can up the price on some stuff, for example getting a DVD drive that can include a multimedia hub or something. You can buy a water cooler for your cpu for like $80. Also a tower isn't going to need a "battery". I guess I forgot to add the tower but even if he would go for a high end tower or what ever he would have headroom left regardless. It really isn't as expensive as you think.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

Like I said you can up the price on some stuff, for example getting a DVD drive that can include a multimedia hub or something. You can buy a water cooler for your cpu for like $80. Also a tower isn't going to need a "battery". I guess I forgot to add the tower but even if he would go for a high end tower or what ever he would have headroom left regardless. It really isn't as expensive as you think.

The point I was attempting to make is that gaming laptops are not $1000 extra than gaming desktops are if you get all the same hardware. They're only about $300-400 at MOST over desktops in the same power range, depending on who you buy from. Alienware is exceedingly expensive, but you buy a Clevo or something and you're going to find the price is not very bloated.

The point I was attempting to make is that gaming laptops are not $1000 extra than gaming desktops are if you get all the same hardware. They're only about $300-400 at MOST over desktops in the same power range, depending on who you buy from. Alienware is exceedingly expensive, but you buy a Clevo or something and you're going to find the price is not very bloated.

An extra $300-400 is pretty expensive for some of us just to get the same performance without being able to customize or future proof your PC. If portability isn't really REALLY important to you, then as stated before getting a gaming laptop is hard to justify. If it is though, then it's not like you have much of a choice then!

An extra $300-400 is pretty expensive for some of us just to get the same performance without being able to customize or future proof your PC. If portability isn't really REALLY important to you, then as stated before getting a gaming laptop is hard to justify. If it is though, then it's not like you have much of a choice then!

Right. Except when someone says they're shelling $2000 on a laptop, I think they've kind of already decided they want or need it, and asking a simple question of "should I wait for x or y" elicits a whole lot of:

"Ugh you could buy <insert super ultra awesome PC of legend> for that much! Why would you want a laptop?"

"Laptops suck for gaming, no hardcore gamer likes them (wrong btw) so go buy a desktop!"

"Don't buy a laptop, they're a waste of money, they overheat and you can't upgrade anything in them (wrong) so don't waste your money!"

When all the user needs is "Hey, yeah you should wait" or "hey, don't wait, you don't need to/it's not worth it".

The same thing happened a long time ago when I needed to know which was a good wireless headset. I'd said I was going for a Logitech G930 and I had almost no USB port space, so I needed to know if any others within my price range could do what the G930 did and if I should consider them.

I had to sift through about 30 replies of "screw that buy <insert budget audiophile cans here> and get a mod mic" and "wireless audio sucks it's a bunch of shitty tiny speakers in a small case (protip: it's not true)" and "don't waste your money are you retarded". Did I *ASK* you that? No. Shut up. It's not like I said "should I go wireless or not?" and it's not like this user said "should I get a laptop or not? These are my needs: <list>". That would elicit those responses. When I see this kinda stuff it makes me a little annoyed is all. Especially when people overblow things they don't actually know about.

Right. Except when someone says they're shelling $2000 on a laptop, I think they've kind of already decided they want or need it, and asking a simple question of "should I wait for x or y" elicits a whole lot of:

"Ugh you could buy <insert super ultra awesome PC of legend> for that much! Why would you want a laptop?"

"Laptops suck for gaming, no hardcore gamer likes them (wrong btw) so go buy a desktop!"

"Don't buy a laptop, they're a waste of money, they overheat and you can't upgrade anything in them (wrong) so don't waste your money!"

When all the user needs is "Hey, yeah you should wait" or "hey, don't wait, you don't need to/it's not worth it".

The same thing happened a long time ago when I needed to know which was a good wireless headset. I'd said I was going for a Logitech G930 and I had almost no USB port space, so I needed to know if any others within my price range could do what the G930 did and if I should consider them.

I had to sift through about 30 replies of "screw that buy <insert budget audiophile cans here> and get a mod mic" and "wireless audio sucks it's a bunch of shitty tiny speakers in a small case (protip: it's not true)" and "don't waste your money are you retarded". Did I *ASK* you that? No. Shut up. It's not like I said "should I go wireless or not?" and it's not like this user said "should I get a laptop or not? These are my needs: <list>". That would elicit those responses. When I see this kinda stuff it makes me a little annoyed is all. Especially when people overblow things they don't actually know about.

Yeah that annoys me a lot too. Ever since I joined this forum the mod mic responses have been really annoying.

Yeah that annoys me a lot too. Ever since I joined this forum the mod mic responses have been really annoying.

I wasn't even talking about THIS forum. I was talking about the KBMOD forums. But it's just as bad here. I always have to sift through these things; I wish all forums could be as nice/accepting as notebookreview. At least there people don't insist on being right about things they don't actually know about. Usually people either provide links to sources or explain where they got the ideas from and if they're corrected we move on and shake hands and stuff.