Can you control system fans by GPU temp?

whitedragon101

I am looking at putting 2 MSI 970gtx cards on an MSI Z97 Gaming 7 board in SLI.

I have seen pics of the cool BIOS feature to set the system fans but without more info I don't know quite how it works.  I have seen a screenshot where you can set the CPU fan curve relative to CPU temp.

Can you set the system fan speed curve based on the temps of GPU 1 or 2?  ( want them off completely until the GPUs need the extra air).

This video shows only CPU and system as temps you can set the fan curve on  ( 2min 32sec  ):

No, as far as I'm aware the system fans can only be controlled by the system (general case) temps. As those cards dump heat in the case, you would be able to use trial and error to work out what speeds are required to keep the GPUs cool. From memory I THINK I got corsair link to run from GPU speed but I can't be sure as that was years ago.

controlling system fan speed based on GPU temps? i believe you can do that with speedfan.

setting fan speed based off different temps in your system.

post-44895-0-36713200-1411913131.png

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

controlling system fan speed based on GPU temps? i believe you can do that with speedfan.

setting fan speed based off different temps in your system.

Does speedfan override the MSI BIOS fan settings?

I don't know you should give it a try, i used it back when i had a prebuilt PC to spin up the front intake as the cpu got hotter.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I set my FAN2+3 to use the Mobo Temp as a sensor to use, not the CPU load, which would have them spin up all the time when I do little to a lot of things.

Only when the ambient air inside the case gets hot enough will they activate now :)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

From my exeriance it did for me. If your MSI fan speed software doesnt work well (gigabyte and Asus has one for sure (forgot what its called lol)) you can manually control the speed and even have a speed graph but thats with asus and gigabyte, dont know about MSI. You can use fan controller. Its pretty good but its kinder hard to use, it took me a while to get used/figure it out. But you can controll most of the fans.

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...