What is wrong and how far can I go?

So I have an 2nd system under my desk with a MSI P45 Neo and a Core 2 Duo E7500. I want to overclock it now (just for fun) but I encountered a problem. When I increase the voltage in the Bios, all my readouts in the OS show a much lower value. For example Bios was set to 1.75V, however in the System both HW Monitor and CPU-Z were showing 1.2V. I then increased the Voltage in the Bios further, at 2V Bios it showed 1.25V System, 2.2V resulted in 1.3V.

Any Idea what is wrong here, and do you think i can just keep on increasing the Voltage further in the Bios without damaging anything?

Thanks in advance,

Sebo

It's called Vdroop, or voltage droop. And it's probably happening because that board writes cheques it can't cash (IE it has crap power phases).

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Im setting it in the Bios, it doesn't really run at that voltage, and yes, I hav run my cpu at real 1.75V at one point in time to get 3.7GHz out of a 2GHz Pentium Dual-Core. Also as I now observed, the displayed voltage in CPU-Z and HWMonitor is dropping as soon as I apply heavy load as Prime95

Im setting it in the Bios, it doesn't really run at that voltage, and yes, I hav run my cpu at real 1.75V at one point in time to get 3.7GHz out of a 2GHz Pentium Dual-Core. Also as I now observed, the displayed voltage in CPU-Z and HWMonitor is dropping as soon as I apply heavy load as Prime95

It's throttling... if you're trying to Prime95 a CPU at 1.75v you're asking for trouble.

I suggest you read this. 

Well i dont think it is, as i said the voltage doesn't even go to that point, the one time i ran a cpu at 1.75v it was only validation and done, no benchmarking or stress testing. right now i was aiming for a more realistic 1.5v at max, which i, as i said, can't reach.

Well i dont think it is, as i said the voltage doesn't even go to that point, the one time i ran a cpu at 1.75v it was only validation and done, no benchmarking or stress testing. right now i was aiming for a more realistic 1.5v at max, which i, as i said, can't reach.

What cooling are you using?

Also use the quote button so I can see you reply. Your board doesn't look too fantastic either... no way can it hold 1.5v+

What cooling are you using?

Also use the quote button so I can see you reply. Your board doesn't look too fantastic either... no way can it hold 1.5v+

I'm using aircooling (Prolimatech Megahalems with a Fan at 900rpm) Yeah i know board is not the best (have to correct myself, using P35 Neo, which is worse ^^), but as I said, was running 1.75V on there once

IMG-20140111-WA0013.jpg?_subject_uid=304

I'm using aircooling (Prolimatech Megahalems with a Fan at 900rpm) Yeah i know board is not the best (have to correct myself, using P35 Neo, which is worse ^^), but as I said, was running 1.75V on there once

IMG-20140111-WA0013.jpg?_subject_uid=304

Capacitors have probably aged a bit since then, and 1.75v for 24/7 is well... 2001 kind of voltage. 1.75v is benchmarking/subzero cooling territory :P

What happens if you choose 1.35v in the BIOS? Is this CPU a C0 or a E0? C0s (my E7300 is C0) take more volts generally to get decent clock speed. Whereas my E0 E8400 can do well over 4ghz before I'm limited by factors other than the CPU.

Capacitors have probably aged a bit since then, and 1.75v for 24/7 is well... 2001 kind of voltage. 1.75v is benchmarking/subzero cooling territory :P

What happens if you choose 1.35v in the BIOS? Is this CPU a C0 or a E0? C0s (my E7300 is C0) take more volts generally to get decent clock speed. Whereas my E0 E8400 can do well over 4ghz before I'm limited by factors other than the CPU.

Well this picture was taken on the 11th january this year, the mainboard wasn't running at this high of a voltage since then, basically it wasn't running at all. And the CPU was never reaching over 40° C ;) The CPU is a Revision R0 Stepping A (CPU-Z), 1.35V result in a unstable 1.16-1.2 V in idle, holds 1.16V under load