HELP me choose a 970

drcypher

so should I wait for the 2.0, currently they are no where on amazon.. only the 1.0

okay so i found a guy on teksyndicate selling a FTW EDITION evga 970... thoughts?!

Would the Gigabyte G1 even fit in the 200R? I was thinking of getting one but then I saw that it's 16 inches long. Apparently the max length that the 200R supports is 14 inches.

EDIT: Nevermind, the information I was getting was wrong, the G1 is about 12 inches

i9-6930X @ 5.3GHz | ASUS Z1007-A | 64TB G.Skill Ripjaw XIV 2400GHz RAM | GTX 1080 Ti | Corsair 900R

Corsair CX2500 W | 15TB WD Green | Noctua NH-D24

Would the Gigabyte G1 even fit in the 200R? I was thinking of getting one but then I saw that it's 16 inches long. Apparently the max length that the 200R supports is 14 inches.

EDIT: Nevermind, the information I was getting was wrong, the G1 is about 13 inches

yea, i think i ruled out the G1, it is huge, I don't think it'll fit... i could measure, but i really don't think it will

I think evga, fFTW edition

Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 is one of the best you can get

Plus it looks incredible!

Because the ACX 2.0 isn't being used to it's full potential. EVGA is smart, if they put in some engineering effort they would have no problem optimizing the cooler for the 970. Everybody knows EVGA cheaped out by reusing coolers. There's no room for debate on this. The cooler works well, but the point is that it could be doing better. 

Semi-passive ACX 2.0 is on the way. It isn't available publicly currently, notice how I said at the moment.

Yes, it IS being used to it's full potential and it HAS been optimized for the 970. Did you not understand what I explained? If you shift the cooler over so the die makes contact with the smaller pipe, you also remove part of it's contact with one of the larger pipes, reducing that large pipe's effectiveness, thus making no difference in heat transfer efficiency. You'd only be changing where the heat is being transferred to and in this case, you'd be taking away from a larger, more effective pipe and putting it into a smaller, less effective pipe. 

The small heat pipe is not there to make direct contact, but complement the other two larger pipes and assist in removing heat from the block - which is what it does, just as it was designed to do.

Everybody knows EVGA cheapped out by reusing coolers? Really? How do you know this exactly? Did you talk with EVGA R&D? Were you included in their meetings when they were developing the 970 cooler? No, you don't know that and neither does anybody else. There is no debate, unfortunately people aren't willing to listen to the facts.

AFAIK, it was one review that pulled the cooler off, took some pics and noted the unusual cooler heat pipe design/layout. Just because it's different or unusual from other designs in the past, does not mean it's a reused cooler, nor a poor design, nor un-optimized. It simply means it's a new and different design. 

My background is mechanical engineering and in which I studied thermodynamics. I don't consider myself an "expert" in thermodynamics, but I consider myself better qualified than most to comment on this [non]issue. Again, what you are proposing as a better design, would not be the case. It would result in the same, if not, slightly higher temps.

What this really is, is a classic case of a sensationalized article and claim against a reputable company, which caused a knee-jerk reaction among a portion of the community, blowing it way out of proportion. Now, even when the claim has been clearly refuted by the company them selves (and even Linus in the last WAN show, for crying out loud), some of you still can't admit you were wrong about EVGA and that there is nothing wrong with the cooler design. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Do you not get it? EVGA could have designed a cooler with smaller heatpipes, less heatpipes, whatever they had to do. You know damn well that EVGA has engineers that know better then you do, so just stop. I really love EVGA and whenever somebody asks for an NVIDIA card I would recommend ACX, my dad has an ACX 760 that I suggested and he loves it. However for the 970, it's a different story.

@I/O

"Rawr XD"

Do you not get it? EVGA could have designed a cooler with smaller heatpipes, less heatpipes, whatever they had to do. You know damn well that EVGA has engineers that know better then you do, so just stop. I really love EVGA and whenever somebody asks for an NVIDIA card I would recommend ACX, my dad has an ACX 760 that I suggested and he loves it. However for the 970, it's a different story.

@I/O

Any manufacturer could have designed a different cooler than they did. What's your point? 

Yes, EVGA does have engineers that know better than I and unlike many people on this site, I don't pretend to claim I know better than them. As far as I'm concerned, they did a great job with the cooler they designed, for both effectively cooling the GPU, leaving room for lots of overclocking potential and while keeping costs down. These Maxwell GPUs don't produce a lot of heat like other older GPUs and thus don't require crazy huge coolers with a spaghetti pile of heat pipes to keep them cool - even with overclocking. 

I don't know why you're telling me to stop. I don't have a problem with their cooler design and I understand why they designed it this way. You are the one claiming their cooler design is not as good as it should be, when in fact there's nothing wrong with it. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

steer away from the MSI 970s. 

care to elaborate and explain why you say this? provide links to sources if necessary.

@I/O

You talking to me ?

I can't believe all the ACX vots, the ACX cooler was a big miss with the 970. It doesn't even make proper contact with the GPU. Go look up any reviews on it.

EVGA did explain why they designed it like that though, did you not read about their response?

and to the OP, I'm an EVGA fan so would say wait for the FTW version of the 970, or go for the Gigabyte G1 Gaming as it rad. 

EVGA did explain why they designed it like that though, did you not read about their response?

and to the OP, I'm an EVGA fan so would say wait for the FTW version of the 970, or go for the Gigabyte G1 Gaming as it rad. 

The EVGA ACX cooler on the 970 is garbage. First the third heat pipe is useless and is not even closed LOL. Second it's a loud cooler cause it's defective and must ramp up the fans to compensate.

The EVGA ACX cooler on the 970 is garbage. First the third heat pipe is useless and is not even closed LOL. Second it's a loud cooler cause it's defective and must ramp up the fans to compensate.

Opinions LOL. 

One sample is not statistically significant.

All the ACX GTX 970 coolers from EVGA are defective and all are loud.

Tell that to @MEC-777

It really doesn't matter. Many people will just buy that card cause it is so hyped up even being a defective cooling unit and noisy card. Meanwhile I am getting knocked for promoting the STRIX 970 because it's a quality unit with ultra low noise cooler but I guess often the hype speaks more volume than actual quality.

It really doesn't matter. Many people will just buy that card cause it is so hyped up even being a defective cooling unit and noisy card. Meanwhile I am getting knocked for promoting the STRIX 970 because it's a quality unit with ultra low noise cooler but I guess often the hype speaks more volume than actual quality.

I don't care about metal shrouds, backplates, or semi-passive fans, so I'm not promoting the STRIX, but people who say that the 970 ACX isn't flawed have some research and common knowledge thinking to do.

"Rawr XD"

SO AFTER all this i'm going FTW, EVGA 

SO AFTER all this i'm going FTW, EVGA 

The FTW cooler is a different unit and is not defective albeit it is still on the loud side.

"I feel like EVGA does walk away from this launch with one vulnerability exposed, and that is the ACX 2.0 cooler. EVGA’s amazing cooling performance is undercut by their middle of the road noise performance, which although is still very good in light of GTX 970’s overall gaming performance, it is not as good as what we have seen other open air coolers do in the past. It’s by no means a deal breaker – especially given all of EVGA’s other advantages – but given the kind of quiet cooling possibilities that a 145W GPU should enable, EVGA is not exploiting it as well as they could."  Anandtech

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8568/the-geforce-gtx-970-review-feat-evga/17

All the ACX GTX 970 coolers from EVGA are defective and all are loud.

Usually when one says stuff like this, he or she brings up the data to support the claim.

Also, the model is not "defective" unless there is a real design flaw(which there isn't) and there is a public statement or a recall from the company. Compared to the Hitachi death stars way back in the past, which can be really considered defective, this is nothing of the sort.

Usually when one says stuff like this, he or she brings up the data to support the claim.

Also, the model is not "defective" unless there is a real design flaw(which there isn't) and there is a public statement or a recall from the company. Compared to the Hitachi death stars way back in the past and can be really considered defective, this is nothing of the sort.

If you would look and see that I did more than once in the above posts.