HELP me choose a 970

drcypher

So i'm looking to get the new 970.

I have a corsair 200R case. Not very large, but not tiny either. So many options with brands..

Ive always liked EVGA, but i would like opinions...

thanks. 

EVGA ACX 2.0 gets my vote :P

CPU: i7 4790K Motherboard - MSI Z97 G55 SLI RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 16 GB GPU - Sapphire R9 380 Nitro 4GB Case - NZXT H2 (White) Storage - 120 GB Kingston SSDnow,2x 1TB WD Blue PSU - Corsair CX750M Cooling - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 Keyboard Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Logitech G502

My cpu is water cooled, but i prob won't do the GPU, 

I'm running 3 1080p monitors

whats the dift with the acx 2.0 and reference card?

whats the dift with the acx 2.0 and reference card?

970 ACX 2.0 is messed, don't get it.

Reference looks cool with the glowing logo, and with Maxwell it actually performs pretty well

"Rawr XD"

Really very minor.

I like the ACX 2.0 and the Gigabyte G1

ASUS and GIGABYTE seem to have good cards but steer away from the MSI 970s. I don't know how the other ones are fairing.

I didn't realise this, apparently the shroud and fans of the EVGA are flimsy. I'll look more into this. It would be quite disappointing if EVGA has reduced their quality standard. :(

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

The Gigabyte is amazing, but EVGA has great costumer support that I can vouch for as I own an EVGA GTX 780 as well as my Gigabyte G1 GTX 970.

The Gigabyte is kind of large so pick whatever works for your case  :)

MY CURRENT PC

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3-1600 STORAGE: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HHD GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 SLI CASE: Fractal Design R4 PSU: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold 
PERIPHERALS - KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Cherry MX Browns MOUSE: Logitech G500/M100 MONITOR(S): Acer H236HLbid (I want an Asus PB278Q) SPEAKERS: Some Cyber Acoustics $10 speakers PICTURES AND FULL PARTS LIST @ PCPARTPICKER - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/z4Pscf  

"Don't get so caught up in trying to make a living that you forget to make a life."

I can't believe all the ACX vots, the ACX cooler was a big miss with the 970. It doesn't even make proper contact with the GPU. Go look up any reviews on it.

The two best rated models are the ASUS GTX 970 STRIX http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NJ9BJ8G and the MSI GTX 970 Gaming http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NN0GEXQ. Each model has an excellent custom PCB as well as intuitive cooler designs that only turn on and ramp up when under load and temperatures reach a certain point. Again, check reviews on these cards and you will find them to be the top two.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, ASUS Maximus VII Hero, i7-4790K @ 4.5GHz, Corsair H100i, EVGA GTX 980Ti SC, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2X8GB 1866Mhz CL9, 2X Crucial M500 960GB, EVGA SuperNOVA 1050 GS, ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q w/ nVidia 3D Vision 2

I can't believe all the ACX vots, the ACX cooler was a big miss with the 970. It doesn't even make proper contact with the GPU. Go look up any reviews on it.

The two best rated models are the ASUS GTX 970 STRIX http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NJ9BJ8G and the MSI GTX 970 Gaming http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NN0GEXQ. Each model has an excellent custom PCB as well as intuitive cooler designs that only turn on and ramp up when under load and temperatures reach a certain point. Again, check reviews on these cards and you will find them to be the top two.

I see the Gigabyte and MSI cards clocking the highest so far. I haven't seen any Asus cards get up to 1550-1600mhz. Doesn't mean they cant i just haven't heard of any. The strix Linus used for the review wasn't a good OC card either compared to others. I believe he benched it at 1439mhz.
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Reference looks cool with the glowing logo, and with Maxwell it actually performs pretty well

The two best rated models are the ASUS GTX 970 STRIX http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NJ9BJ8G and the MSI GTX 970 Gaming http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NN0GEXQ. Each model has an excellent custom PCB as well as intuitive cooler designs that only turn on and ramp up when under load and temperatures reach a certain point. Again, check reviews on these cards and you will find them to be the top two.

The EVGA ACX 2.0 cooler IS NOT MESSED UP. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT. IT HAS NO DESIGN FLAWS. Go look up what EVGA them selves have to say about it. 

It was designed the way it is to be the way it is. If you look closely, you'll see the die makes proper symmetrical contact with the two main heat pipes. The 3rd smaller heat pipe was added for further cooling capabilities/headroom and it is NOT a problem or flaw that the die does not directly contact that 3rd heat pipe. 

Also, the ACX 2.0 cooler also has the 0db fan feature where the fans do not run until the GPU reaches a certain temp. 

As for which 970 to chose; personally, I'm torn between the MSI gaming, Asus Strix or EVGA superclocked ACX 2.0. All are capable of 1400mhz+ and possibly even 1500+. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

The EVGA ACX 2.0 cooler IS NOT MESSED UP. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT. IT HAS NO DESIGN FLAWS. Go look up what EVGA them selves have to say about it. 

It was designed the way it is to be the way it is. If you look closely, you'll see the die makes proper symmetrical contact with the two main heat pipes. The 3rd smaller heat pipe was added for further cooling capabilities/headroom and it is NOT a problem or flaw that the die does not directly contact that 3rd heat pipe. 

Also, the ACX 2.0 cooler also has the 0db fan feature where the fans do not run until the GPU reaches a certain temp. 

As for which 970 to chose; personally, I'm torn between the MSI gaming, Asus Strix or EVGA superclocked ACX 2.0. All are capable of 1400mhz+ and possibly even 1500+. 

Nobody said that it's not a sufficient cooler, we're saying that it could be performing better then it currently is if the third heatpipe was actually put to use. It's a design flaw. EVGA could have slightly changed their cooler so that all three pipes made contact, but instead, they decided to be lazy and just stick on what they had. 

Also, ACX is not semi-passive atm, only Strix is

"Rawr XD"

okay so everyone keeps saying the ACX 2.0, but googling that , that is the 980, not the 970... the 970 is acx 1.0

Nobody said that it's not a sufficient cooler, we're saying that it could be performing better then it currently is if the third heatpipe was actually put to use. It's a design flaw. EVGA could have slightly changed their cooler so that all three pipes made contact, but instead, they decided to be lazy and just stick on what they had. 

Also, ACX is not semi-passive atm, only Strix is

*facepalm* 

It's NOT a design flaw. Go look closer at the heat pipes. If they shifted the pipes so the die made contact with all 3 heat pipes, there would be nothing to gain in terms of cooling capability. Why? Because you'd be removing part of the die from contact with one of the larger heat pipes and transferring that contact over to the smaller heat pipe. This would make that one larger heat pipe less effective and the small heat pipe, as well, would only be partially effective. Because of the size of the die, it lines up perfectly with the two large pipes, which will provide the best possible heat transfer. What you're proposing as a "better design" wouldn't make any difference. Again, it is not a design flaw.

And yes, the ACX 2.0 is a semi passive design. I just watched the live stream interview with an EVGA rep (forgot his name) on PCper and they were demonstrating the ACX 2.0 on a 970 on the show, running with the fans shut off. 

okay so everyone keeps saying the ACX 2.0, but googling that , that is the 980, not the 970... the 970 is acx 1.0

Initially the first EVGA 970's used the ACX 1.0 cooler, but the ACX 2.0 versions are now available as well. The only real difference is the fan motors and fan blades - both designed to reduce power draw, reduce noise and better air flow.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

*facepalm* 

It's NOT a design flaw. Go look closer at the heat pipes. If they shifted the pipes so the die made contact with all 3 heat pipes, there would be nothing to gain in terms of cooling capability. Why? Because you'd be removing part of the die from contact with one of the larger heat pipes and transferring that contact over to the smaller heat pipe. This would make that one larger heat pipe less effective and the small heat pipe, as well, would only be partially effective. Because of the size of the die, it lines up perfectly with the two large pipes, which will provide the best possible heat transfer. What you're proposing as a "better design" wouldn't make any difference. Again, it is not a design flaw.

And yes, the ACX 2.0 is a semi passive design. I just watched the live stream interview with an EVGA rep (forgot his name) on PCper and they were demonstrating the ACX 2.0 on a 970 on the show, running with the fans shut off. 

Initially the first EVGA 970's used the ACX 1.0 cooler, but the ACX 2.0 versions are now available as well. The only real difference is the fan motors and fan blades - both designed to reduce power draw, reduce noise and better air flow.

Because the ACX 2.0 isn't being used to it's full potential. EVGA is smart, if they put in some engineering effort they would have no problem optimizing the cooler for the 970. Everybody knows EVGA cheaped out by reusing coolers. There's no room for debate on this. The cooler works well, but the point is that it could be doing better. 

Semi-passive ACX 2.0 is on the way. It isn't available publicly currently, notice how I said at the moment.

"Rawr XD"

*facepalm* 

Thank you that was incredibly helpful, i could not find that info anywhere..

also your totally right about it not being a design flaw, i read a ton of articles, that third pipe is not supposed to touch...