Spinal Implants May Help Paralyzed Walk Again

ionbasa

ratx299.gif

It’s a strange sight: a paralyzed rat walking on its hind legs in a precise cadence, all controlled by a computer.

“It is a little bit Frankenstein,” says Gregoire Courtine, a neuroscientist at the École Polytechnique Fédérale in Lausanne, Switzerland, who in a paper published yesterday in Science Translational Medicine describes his efforts to use electronics to restore fluid, realistic movements to paralyzed animals

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/531051/paralyzed-rats-take-1000-steps-orchestrated-by-computer/

So essentially, Swiss scientists have been able to use a computer to process signals that would have normally been transmitted via the spinal cord. After a spinal sewerage, electrodes can detect the impulses given to control the legs. Software can then interpret these signals and stimulate the leg muscles into coordinated motion.

In the short term, this research is great. It may only start out as 1000 steps,but the scientist have much bigger plans:

Courtine says his group is working on developing a brain-machine interface, such as electrodes implanted in the motor cortex of the brain to record intended movements, that might eventually allow patients to control a spinal stimulator, and the movement of their legs, using their own thoughts.

Wow. The work they are doing is unbelievable, can could eventually change the life of many people who have suffered from spinal injuries. While, I myself am not directly related to the medical field, I am working towards my Mechanical Engineering degree. It is exciting to see software analyse motion and the pivot points in the legs happening in real time.

This piece of technology just blew me away.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Didn't they already do this with some Stem cell technology? 

But this is more technology which is awesome.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

There will still be some issues in human testing tho which can make or brake this project.

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

Didn't they already do this with some Stem cell technology? 

But this is more technology which is awesome.

Yes, and no. With stem cells they have been trying to regrow the severed nerve. The issue, is getting the pathway which should be fixed, to regain control of motion. I believe that researchers have been playing with electrical impulses to retrain the regrown nerves.

This tech in the OP is essentially is a "man in the middle" attack, but used in a positive way.

Until stem cell treatment becomes more readily understood, available, and not blocked by politics, this may be the best solution (at least for now).

There will still be some issues in human testing tho.

They are already thinking for candidates. Although, I don't know how well it may go. It takes time to prove new tech, especially if it is related in the medical field.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

This is gonna cost a lot. I wouldn't know whether I'd feel this treatment is worth the financial risk for my legs if I were in such a position. Hopefully it'll do great things anyhow for those individuals out there unable to physically walk.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Yes, and no. With stem cells they have been trying to regrow the severed nerve. The issue, is getting the pathway which should be fixed, to regain control of motion. I believe that researchers have been playing with electrical impulses to retrain the regrown nerves.

This tech in the OP is essentially is a "man in the middle" attack, but used in a positive way.

Until stem cell treatment becomes more readily understood, available, and not blocked by politics, this may be the best solution (at least for now).

They are already thinking for candidates. Although, I don't know how well it may go. It takes time to prove new tech, especially if it is related in the medical field.

Having human testers isn't the issue. The issue that this study might get will be from the religious or humanitarian orgs. I'm quite sure somebody will say "why would you do that!?" kind of thing.

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

Having human testers isn't the issue. The issue that this study might get will be from the religious or humanitarian orgs. I'm quite sure somebody will say "why would you do that!?" kind of thing.

So, what you are saying is that others do not want to give back people the ability to walk and be able to live a normal life, not bound to a wheelchair.

I'm not too religious, I know those people exist, but what happened to helping one another?

So, what you are saying is that others do not want to give back people the ability to walk and be able to live a normal life, not bound to a wheelchair.

I'm not too religious, I know those people exist, but what happened to helping one another?

Well I'm just saying that some people are very conservative. That's why nothing much has change here in my country(seriously I feel like nothing progressive happened here for the past years :mellow:).

Spoiler

kewl

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

That's fukken creepy mang..

Also PETA will be up in arms for this...

This should warrant some attention since some people whose legs are paralyzed in the same manner as the rat may have some hope of walking again...

oh damn.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Purposely severing the spinal cord of a mouse for an experiment, even though there are millions of mice in the world makes me so mad.

Also PETA will be up in arms for this...

It's scientific research. There's already very strict guidelines covering it. They can't feel unnecessary pain, for example. They were probably sedated for the intentional fractioning and given painkillers after that.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Wasn't this part of a phase during a development for human spinal surgery...as well

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

E! True Hollywood Story: Stuart Little. 

This post gave me a pretty hearty chuckle.

And yeah, this is fucking creepy. But if we can apply this to humans without the support structuring, I am all for it.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE | Storage: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2TB ADATA SX8200 Pro (SM2262EN) | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Server: CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K | RAM: 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3-1600 | Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 Pro | Storage: 256GB Apple SSUBX, 256GB Crucial MX100, 4TB Seagate IronWolf, 1.2TB ioDrive2 PCIe SSD, 3x1TB HDD | GPU: GTX 560 2GB | Cooling: Arctic Freezer 34 | Case: NZXT H500 (Black) | PSU: NZXT C 750W (Gold)

HALF MACHINE HALF MICE

MICHINE

Gaming Rig: i5-3570k+H100i (4.3 ghz) | P8Z77-i Deluxe | MSI Twin Frozr 7950 Boost | HX650 | 1TB HGST | 840 Evo 250 GB

dagnabbit

I ALWAYS read the Review though. How did I miss that?

Well actually I get the monthly...does that mean I'm old?

LOL, read the actual hard print version? I stopped that last year with all my subscriptions.

LOL, read the actual hard print version?

Yup.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /