why can i SLI 2 different refrences?

1832vin

i asked on another forum (just happened to be) , and the replies said that even though they are both refrence cards, and the same branding, you still canot SLI them together.

but the only difference of the card is teh packaging! (i think)

can somebody explain why?

As long as its the same card you can SLI.

If its something like a GTX780 and GTX980 then no because they are different.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Depends on the cards...

For SLI you need the same architecture and the same memory configuration...

Well, what are the two cards?

GTX 980 (MSI) + GTX 980 (Zotac)

both refrence

both refrence

Well there is no reason why it shouldn't be possible.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

both refrence

Yep, those can be put in SLI together. As long as the model is the same (980+980 or 970+970) then they're fine, regardless of manufacturer. 

Yep, those can be put in SLI together. As long as the model is the same (980+980 or 970+970) then they're fine, regardless of manufacturer. 

Indeed, also it doesn't matter if it's a reference card or not, as long as the gpu and the amount of ram is the same, you are good to go.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Indeed, also it doesn't matter if it's a reference card or not, as long as the gpu and the amount of ram is the same, you are good to go.

Even if the VRAM is different, they can still work. It will just use the amount of VRAM on the smaller card. 

Even if the VRAM is different, they can still work. It will just use the amount of VRAM on the smaller card. 

Sadly that's only with crossfire, if you have a 970 with 2gb and a 970 with 3gb (doesn't exist, but just an example) SLI won't be possible...

http://youtu.be/cxc6cb3_y0w?t=43s

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Sadly that's only with crossfire, if you have a 970 with 2gb and a 970 with 3gb (doesn't exist, but just an example) SLI won't be possible...

http://youtu.be/cxc6cb3_y0w?t=43s

No, it's with SLI too. Look around different forums, FAQs and such and it's repeatedly said that it will just use the same amount of VRAM as the lowest card. 

EDIT: Looks like it used to work, but not anymore. If so, my mistake. 

No, it's with SLI too. Look around different forums, FAQs and such and it's repeatedly said that it will just use the same amount of VRAM as the lowest card. 

EDIT: Looks like it used to work, but not anymore. If so, my mistake.

Thankyou for your replies, and OMG!!! Kiss-shot Acerolia Orion heart-underblade-sama!

Yo ku de internet shi yo shi masshi ta ne! Donut o tabe ma san ka?

I'm in my English keyboard, so... Tried to type it in alphabets?